Clay ground attendances

LeedsZeppelin

21 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Location, location, location.

Widdington was quiet this year and they had to stop doing CPSA shoots. But, it's not a convenient location or near a main arterial route. Shame as it's a lovely place to shoot and a great clubhouse. 

Has the A303 been diverted? Not far from Amesbury is it?

34 minutes ago, Wylye said:

Has the A303 been diverted? Not far from Amesbury is it?

Indeed only about 10 miles from that junction. But, more successful clay grounds are either near larger towns and cities or have a big USP. Sadly Widdington is a trek from Reading, Bath, Basingstoke, Southampton, still a pain from Salisbury, Andover etc

It's not a great location for large populations. Shame as it really is a gorgeous valley.

1 hour ago, Wylye said:

I’m not sure that you have found the root of the problem. Not that I can speak with any authority as I don’t go there, but a lot of people are happy to travel up to two hours to shoots if what is on offer is what they want......

It's mostly their words, from feedback from their users.

I don't disagree some people will travel. 

Finally their downside is their stands are spread wide, you could easily have double the stands. Maybe it's too much of a walk around a valley.

On 31/10/2022 at 14:27, Scully said:

Westlands never seems too busy, but it’s spread out over a big area. 
Crabtree is always busy dependant on what day and time you go, and Southwaite is always well attended. 
I think the quietest ground I’ve ever been to was Coniston, but have only been once. 

I agree about Westlands, I try not to go to Crabtree on a Saturday as it's normally very busy, I like going on a Wednesday.

Coniston has regulars who shoot DTL and Skeet but it's quieter after lunch. I went the a fortnight ago they actually changed the targets on three stands, it was two years ago when it was last changed 🤨

It's worth becoming a member there if you just go once a month, you'll save the cost on clays. 28 pence if your a member.

1 hour ago, BlaserF3 said:

I agree about Westlands, I try not to go to Crabtree on a Saturday as it's normally very busy, I like going on a Wednesday.

Coniston has regulars who shoot DTL and Skeet but it's quieter after lunch. I went the a fortnight ago they actually changed the targets on three stands, it was two years ago when it was last changed 🤨

It's worth becoming a member there if you just go once a month, you'll save the cost on clays. 28 pence if your a member.

Yeah, it’s a shame about Coniston really. Too far for me personally and I found the sporting layout very very repetitive. I did however enjoy very much the driven grouse butt and the Sport-trap? Too far just for those though. 

Yeah, it’s a shame about Coniston really. Too far for me personally and I found the sporting layout very very repetitive

Definitely needs attention to their sporting targets.

elbrook is the same. It used to be a great ground spread over a lake and onto the moor. Now it is postage stamp size.

• 2 weeks later...

Its early days yet but for a lot of small clubs around our way they are beginning to notice low numbers of shooters turning up , a little club near me used to shoot on a Wednesday afternoon and on Saturday afternoon , first of all he cut out the mid week shoots and now he is doing every other Saturday , cost is partly to blame but a lot of local game shoots have there shoot on a Saturday and less people seem to turn up when it's a wet day 

I recon after Christmas it will get worse when the bills start rolling in , Yes you will always get the regulars with deeper pockets but when money is tight it could become once every two weeks instead of weekly , and them possibly once a month , one way or the other , it won't be long to see how it will go .