Are zoli really that bad?

keeper96

Hi all, 

do zoli have a bad reputation or something? 

I’ve been trying to part ex a mint Columbus against several different guns from different stores and no one has even made an offer, no matter how low, they’re just not interested at all! 

I thought they where a fairly decent manufacturer 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It’s a entry level gun most people who buy them buy new ones with the warranty 

I would think most gun shops haven’t offered you anything for it as to make a resale profit with a guarantee there isn’t enough margin for them 

better to sell a new one with a manufacturer warranty 

it’s tough in the gun trade at the moment 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

It’s a entry level gun most people who buy them buy new ones with the warranty 

I would think most gun shops haven’t offered you anything for it as to make a resale profit with a guarantee there isn’t enough margin for them 

better to sell a new one with a manufacturer warranty 

it’s tough in the gun trade at the moment 

Would you really class it as an entry level gun? When they first came out the RRP was £4200….

I agree with Scully. Perazzi and Guerini pushed their products and have decent resale. Zoli seem very similar to Guerini, but don't have the same image. Renato Gamba make guns which are just as good as Perazzi, but command a price which is a mere fraction of Perazzi.

Nearly bought a Gamba Daytona about 10 years ago at Premier Guns. Ended up with a Salvinelli Monaco - which I still have and love it, but regret not buying the Gamba ever since.

I knew a chap once who was sponsored by Zoli - years ago. He was also sponsored by a few different gun makers in his career. He always spoke very highly of Zoli guns though. 
They just haven’t got that ‘big brand  presence’ in the UK unfortunately. Try advertising a private sale…?

26 minutes ago, matone said:

A quick search throws up some very expensive (new) Zolis at ridiclously low s/h prices,so for whatever reason the market doesn`t give them much retained value. If I was the OP,i`d keep it and use it !

It’s a lovely gun but I can’t hit a barn door with it! 

I think the barrels are too long for me at 32”, I usually shoot side by sides but I was trying to future proof against the lead ban but should have got a 28” 20 bore instead 

3 hours ago, keeper96 said:

Hi all, 

I’ve been trying to part ex a mint Columbus against several different guns from different stores and no one has even made an offer, no matter how low, they’re just not interested at all! 

How much is it ?

3 hours ago, keeper96 said:

Hi all, 

De rigueur down here at the moment. No doubt someone will come up with the exception but it's hard to find a RFD that will do part exchange.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I recall that a couple of years ago, Fawcett's Lancaster were selling new Zoli's at about half price. I handled one and it seemed fine, but alarm bells rang as to why they were so cheap.

Probably when they lost the franchise to Edgar Bros ,who never seem to do much for any brand.............

1 hour ago, keeper96 said:

I think the barrels are too long for me at 32”, I usually shoot side by sides but I was trying to future proof against the lead ban but should have got a 28” 20 bore instead 

I shoot both a 28" 687 and a 30" Browning,the 687 has to be used like a s/side and is a great game gun !

1 hour ago, keeper96 said:

I have just had a similar experience with a Ceasar Guerini 20 bore. I lost more than i ever have with any other gun. I will not move away from the Browning, Beretta and Miroku range in future. 

12 minutes ago, Westley said:

I have just had a similar experience with a Ceasar Guerini 20 bore. I lost more than i ever have with any other gun. I will not move away from the Browning, Beretta and Miroku range in future. 

I paid £1800 for this last august and can’t even get near £1000 for it now, it’s crazy 

12 minutes ago, Westley said:

It is a shame to miss out on some good kit though. I had a Zoli for five minutes. A quantity was bought which attracted some superior engraving overall plus some additional specific work. I was given one and no sooner had I got to enjoy it than the arthritis struck and I was unable to mount it. The only way I was permitted to dispose of it was to return it from whence it came.

Meanwhile my Chapuis which was up for grabs as neither could I shoot that hadn't sold even for a pittance became usable as things eased and I fetched it back. An absolute delight of a light game gun but sadly under-rated here in the UK.

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It is a shame to miss out on some good kit though. I had a Zoli for five minutes. A quantity was bought which attracted some superior engraving overall plus some additional specific work. I was given one and no sooner had I got to enjoy it than the arthritis struck and I was unable to mount it. The only way I was permitted to dispose of it was to return it from whence it came.

Meanwhile my Chapuis which was up for grabs as neither could I shoot that hadn't sold even for a pittance became usable as things eased and I fetched it back. An absolute delight of a light game gun but sadly under-rated here in the UK.

Funny you should mention that as there’s a tasty little chapuis local to me for £500 that I’m very tempted by if I can get rid of this stupid thing! 

a 27.5” double trigger straight hand stock side plate with some lovely engraving and fairly good wood. 

I hope it’s still there when I get a chance to drive down at the weekend for a look 

59 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

Funny you should mention that as there’s a tasty little chapuis local to me for £500 that I’m very tempted by if I can get rid of this stupid thing! 

a 27.5” double trigger straight hand stock side plate with some lovely engraving and fairly good wood. 

I hope it’s still there when I get a chance to drive down at the weekend for a look 

I suppose thats the thing - the markets impacts the value of your gun - but also many others - That Chapius sounds very very cheap ?

13 minutes ago, jall25 said:

I suppose thats the thing - the markets impacts the value of your gun - but also many others - That Chapius sounds very very cheap ?

Straight hand stock, short barrels, double trigger and open chokes… total opppsite of what’s in fashion at the moment. 

but exactly what I like in a gun haha 

9 hours ago, keeper96 said:

Would you really class it as an entry level gun? When they first came out the RRP was £4200….

But you paid £1800 surely at the time you thought 

wow these are high depreciation ?

or did you think you had a bargain?

eitherway they are still bottom of the range in there price field 

that’s why most people recommend or go to browning beretta Perazzi