Feeding House Spiders

lord_seagrave

12 hours ago, Robden said:

I have a spider that lives in my driver's door mirror. Don't know which brand I'm afraid, but the other day whilst driving, I noticed that it was blowing in the wind, on a single strand of web and couldn't get back to the mirror................so I pulled over. The spid, shot up the web and back into it's home.   How sad am I????????

I've done the same.

27 minutes ago, discobob said:

Quick Question - what were house spiders called before there were houses?? 

DOHHH !!! Spiders ???!!! 🤭🤣

Seriously,,,, this is right up there for the most bizarre thread on PW 😆😂

Even more seriously, as a child in the late 60's I used to collect spiders from around the garage and she'd, put a few different types in a small plastic box and watch them eat each other 😲😆 My favourite was the velvet spider,,,, really smooth and silky, and quite difficult to pick up. Also used to get those big garden spiders (the ones with the cross on their backs) to bite my finger and watch that  through a magnifying glass 🤪 Seeing their fangs sink into my skin was amazing,,,, to me anyway 🙈😄🤣

Still feed unwanted insects to spiders in the garden,,,, a form of recycling ???

🦟🐝🕸️🕷️

On 19/11/2022 at 07:54, loriusgarrulus said:

Not sure what species they are, but the fields by the track down to the wood often have webs stretched horizontally across the grass when the sheep arn't there. It can look pretty spectacular on a sunny morning when the dew is on them.

I`m waiting for someone to identify those spiders. Got those webs stretching across a field near me and it gives the whole field a sheen. There must be thousands of webs and spiders.

OB

Ballooning spiders/parachuting spiders are 2 names for a few different types of spider that cast silk and become wind propelled , I remember in the early 80's working on the vulcan bomber in lincolnshire , In autumn the first thing in the morning the outlying Vulcan's were looking like they had been wrapped in dew covered shimmering webbing.

Chrisjpainter

Didn't happen at home, she was in work in a school canteen.

She didn't see anything just felt it. She had to mark on her leg how fast the redness was progressing which was quite rapid. Swole up as well. I think it turned to cellulitis.

It was the 4th incident of spider bite the hospital had treated that week ( back in the summer ).

On 19/11/2022 at 06:13, Robden said:

I have a spider that lives in my driver's door mirror. Don't know which brand I'm afraid, but the other day whilst driving, I noticed that it was blowing in the wind, on a single strand of web and couldn't get back to the mirror................so I pulled over. The spid, shot up the web and back into it's home.   How sad am I????????

I got one that lives in my wing mirror and despite washing the car weekly with a power washer its still there months later LOL 

On 17/11/2022 at 22:16, lord_seagrave said:

OK, perhaps a weird one, but I’ve got four or five false widows keeping themselves to themselves in various windows and crevices around the house.

What can I (or indeed, should I) feed them through the winter?

LS

Surely the fact that they are there shows there making a living and doing fine by themselves ?.