old'un

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Rupert said:

All these rural types moving to the city driving up property prices with the level of demand, outrageous, folk have lived there all there lives cant buy a flat/semi etc. 

Many a true word said in jest.....i lived in Canton which is a part of Cardiff for 5 years, and was told by a young local Cantonian that "all you Welshies* are moving here to Canton and buying up these houses us locals can't compete you tend to be better educated than us and can earn more money"

Take what you will from my comments. 

Cheers Aled

* Welshies in this context are the Welsh speaking Welsh who moved to Cardiff to live and work, and there was a lot of us in the Canton area! ps I live home in West Wales now! 

• 2 weeks later...

Very late to this. Interesting topic with a lot of varied views. Especially for what is/was a pigeon shooting (rural/farming based) forum. Many comments seem down on rural folk and communities? Very different picture in what is rapidly becoming a very crowed rural Mid Suffolk. Up to 60% of homes in some towns/villages are second homes, buy to let or air BnB's. Many second home owners have been using loop hole registering as lets when not to avoid charges. Causing  resentment destabilising communities hence the hike in charges. Many villages the average age is 59+, affecting health care providers etc. Villages/communities would be far from deed without monied incomers. It's almost like a reverse long commute now. Monied urban folk buying up property/in to rural living, (bringing there entitlement, insecurities and negativity with them) having to commute earlier to top jobs in town/city to pay for it. Yet many more who were rural born n bred trade/services based priced out, but now have to commute from towns to work at the many rural business's that are based/developing on farms as result of diversification. These are so diverse from garden centres, motor/engineering works, Accountants, antique's, florist to big 24/7 players like Aspal Cider/ Coors. With 80%+ 0f UK population being urban based should i be surprised peps are so down on rural folk? No connection and very few stay, care or really get it! Especially field sports. Seem to have a lot to say opinions and want to change things , then they are gone. Often wondered from some of the comments, observations and topics in past what percentage of PW members actual live rural? Have we ever done a poll?   NB

These country people who sell their houses to city folk for an extortionate amount of money / at a massive turn - where do they move to? mind you, if they all felt that strongly about selling to townies they would all just refuse to sell or they would just sell to other country folk. 

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

These country people who sell their houses to city folk for an extortionate amount of money / at a massive turn - where do they move to? mind you, if they all felt that strongly about selling to townies they would all just refuse to sell or they would just sell to other country folk. 

And the city folk that sell there houses for extortionate prices to business people from abroad and pay extortionate prices in the countryside 

its a circle and goes round and round 

five houses in my road 4 are holiday homes 

19 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

And the city folk that sell there houses for extortionate prices to business people from abroad and pay extortionate prices in the countryside 

its a circle and goes round and round 

five houses in my road 4 are holiday homes 

Who sold them those holiday homes?

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

Who sold them those holiday homes?

Probably the relatives of the people who went into care homes or the council who wanted to get as much money as possible to pay for their care 

i bought mine from the son of the owner the money was used to pay for his mother’s care home fees 

Edited by Old farrier

On 19/11/2022 at 18:51, Rupert said:

Houses are available at market rate  and will be bought at such.  There are no Rights its just commerce. If out of town monies are to be marginalised communities will suffer. Either you can afford to buy or you are a renter. Then landlords are buying.

Contraception is a conclusive answer in the long term

I don't think contraception is the Answer or who will look after the old in coming years.....

Edited by gamekeeper1960

On 02/12/2022 at 22:44, gamekeeper1960 said:

I don't think contraception is the Answer or who will look after the old in coming years.....

Contraception is absolutely the answer, on  a global scale, every single resource on the planet is stretched by demand from the burgeoning populous.  There is a cost to family beyond pounds shillings and pence. Housing demand, keep knocking out your young uns and increasing the pressure on the housing market,and by extension on water,power,food,etc etc etc, Here,every where in the world.  The old,they will die,its there job its inevitable. 

On 03/12/2022 at 23:20, gamekeeper1960 said:

Sorry but I fail to see the connection between contraception and immigration.... unless your promoting overseas birth control 😉...

The point you missed is the pro immigration supporters say we need immigration to look after our aging population. 

On 05/12/2022 at 08:24, Rupert said:

Contraception is absolutely the answer, on  a global scale, every single resource on the planet is stretched by demand from the burgeoning populous.  

:good:

On 05/12/2022 at 08:24, Rupert said:

Contraception is absolutely the answer, on  a global scale

In this country - child benefit for only the first child - then you have to pay - including education - no matter what your status is - as a percentage of your salary (sliding scale)

That has more than likely got more holes than cheesecloth but it is a thought :)

1 hour ago, discobob said:

In this country - child benefit for only the first child - then you have to pay - including education - no matter what your status is - as a percentage of your salary (sliding scale)

That has more than likely got more holes than cheesecloth but it is a thought

My thought is benefit for the first birth only but free education for the first 2 births unless the first is twins or triplets.

This is because no one can be to blame for a multiple birth.   

3 hours ago, sportsbob said:

The point you missed is the pro immigration supporters say we need immigration to look after our aging population. 

:good:

Sorry sportsbob, I didn't in anyway miss the point at all you have an opinion and just because it differs from mine matters not one bit ...my daughter is a senior care worker looking after people at the end of their life...and believe it or not but they struggle to find folks to work in her home apart from those who aren't born here ....so unless you know different I'll keep my opinion thank you....