30-6

If some billionaire wants to do a trip to outer space and back, fair enough.

But what is the point on the likes of NASA spending trillions probably on trips back and fore?

No one is going to live up there. Who cares if there's water up there.

If a little green man landed in a high street somewhere, I reckon he'd either get shot or told to sod off.

Anybody explain to me all the fuss ?

2 hours ago, 30-6 said:

But what is the point on the likes of NASA spending trillions probably on trips back and fore?

If a little green man landed in a high street somewhere, I reckon he'd either get shot or told to sod off.

Totally agree, a truly disgusting waste of money on a truly massive scale in a world of poverty for many.

there is some sort of theroy that if you get enough harware into space on a geostationary orbit and make a reflector you can beam micro waves to earth and generate large ammounts of electric..........

that is the stuff we should be looking at....not space bloody tourismn and fanity projects.........

12 hours ago, 30-6 said:

Humans have always explored and pushed the boundaries of what's possible, if they had thought like you suggest nothing would ever have been invented and we'd all still be living in caves. I've no doubt space travel is possible, probably even time travel and ways we couldn't even imagine, but it all starts with learning and understanding gathered over generations. 

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Humans have always explored and pushed the boundaries of what's possible, if they had thought like you suggest nothing would ever have been invented and we'd all still be living in caves. I've no doubt space travel is possible, probably even time travel and ways we couldn't even imagine, but it all starts with learning and understanding gathered over generations. 

These were my thoughts also, it's called progress. Without it we go nowhere.

11 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Imagine trying to explain the Internet and its benefits to society to a cave man. 

Indeed. You could tell them that in the future you could use a little device in your hand to argue with complete strangers about absolutely nothing and send pictures of cats….

14 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Imagine trying to explain the Internet and its benefits to society to a cave man. 

Yes, but time travel in the sense of Sci-Fi films etc, just isn't possible. If it were, where are all the time travellers.

Travelling so fast that time slows, is definitely possible and proven. But it's a one way trip, and would take speed of light travel to get you anywhere.

Leave time travel where it belongs, in Sci-Fi.

Edited by Newbie to this

35 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes, but time travel in the sense of Sci-Fi films etc, just isn't possible. If it were, where are all the time travellers.

Travelling so fast that time slows, is definitely possible and proven. But it's a one way trip, and would take speed of light travel to get you anywhere.

Leave time travel where it belongs, in Sci-Fi.

Funny how sci-fi as predicted a lot of things that are now reality. :hmm:

4 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Except time travel. At least the 'push a button and end up at a point in time', time travel. 

It's impossible.

Is it though - a popular theory is the many realities and that time travel would actually cause a new "fork" to occur- just because it hasn't happened in our reality - Bob invented time travel, Bob travelled back 50 years - a new fork happens - bob has disappeared from our reality and Bob now exists in the past but in a different reality and can't get back to his own historical reality!!! 

My brain hurts!!

2 hours ago, discobob said:

Is it though - a popular theory is the many realities and that time travel would actually cause a new "fork" to occur- just because it hasn't happened in our reality - Bob invented time travel, Bob travelled back 50 years - a new fork happens - bob has disappeared from our reality and Bob now exists in the past but in a different reality and can't get back to his own historical reality!!! 

My brain hurts!!

A theory that will only ever be theory. I stand by my original statement.

It's impossible.

16 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

It's impossible.

Excuse the pun , but time tends to dispel the impossible, and create the possible.

Look at the advance of science in the last hundred years, coupled with the advances in our very thinking.
Fusing and splitting the atom, the internet, microsurgery, GPS and high speed travel, just to name a few, 120 years ago , most people , even educated ones would say such things are impossible, yet here they are.

Although time travel, at this time appears a theoretical and scientific impossibility , we simply dont know enough about the structure of our universe to KNOW that it isnt possible at some time in our future, thats if we last that long.

There is a school of thought , that we dont meet advanced civilisations , because once a level of technological progress reaches a certain point, we either destroy ourselves , or someone does it for us , unless we meet certain criteria.
That criteria, using our own yardstick as a measure, is a certain end to our civilisation, when and if we reach that level of advancement.
To put it simply , what would we do with interstellar travel , or indeed time travel, bearing in mind our past record of colonisation and exploration ?

22 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Excuse the pun , but time tends to dispel the impossible, and create the possible.

Look at the advance of science in the last hundred years, coupled with the advances in our very thinking.
Fusing and splitting the atom, the internet, microsurgery, GPS and high speed travel, just to name a few, 120 years ago , most people , even educated ones would say such things are impossible, yet here they are.

Although time travel, at this time appears a theoretical and scientific impossibility , we simply dont know enough about the structure of our universe to KNOW that it isnt possible at some time in our future, thats if we last that long.

There is a school of thought , that we dont meet advanced civilisations , because once a level of technological progress reaches a certain point, we either destroy ourselves , or someone does it for us , unless we meet certain criteria.
That criteria, using our own yardstick as a measure, is a certain end to our civilisation, when and if we reach that level of advancement.
To put it simply , what would we do with interstellar travel , or indeed time travel, bearing in mind our past record of colonisation and exploration ?

I'll accept that time and technology advancements tends to make the impossible, possible.

But I won't accept it with time travel, where are all the time travellers. Why haven't they travelled back to stop climate change etc. Could they even stop something, it could change the path of time so drastically. Would the traveller even exist, would time travel even get invented. Does climate change even exist!

Don't get me wrong, I love a good time travel film/show, but..........

6 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I'll accept that time and technology advancements tends to make the impossible, possible.

But I won't accept it with time travel, where are all the time travellers. Why haven't they travelled back to stop climate change etc. Could they even stop something, it could change the path of time so drastically. Would the traveller even exist, would time travel even get invented. Does climate change even exist!

Don't get me wrong, I love a good time travel film/show, but..........

but they have - and created a new branch of the timeline :whistling:

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

But I won't accept it with time travel, where are all the time travellers. Why haven't they travelled back to stop climate change etc.

Mayb its against 'time law' ?
Meddling in the past could cause a paradox that makes their future non existent ?
The BBC/CANAL series 'War of the Worlds' examines this concept (And is very good)

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Would the traveller even exist, would time travel even get invented.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Does climate change even exist!

It exists , and has existed for millions of years.
I just believe mankind has virtually nothing to do with it.

As far as space travel goes , this is an interesting read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox