Tom's first day shooting, hero to zero????

B725

We arrived at the shoot and Tom is quite nervous of stranger's but slowly came round and so on to drive 1, I was a walking gun so me and Tom went down the outside so he wasn't overwhelmed with the other dog's. It was amusing initially as we were close to the other gun's he dropped to shot for a few time's. I then shot a pheasant but it was a runner so that was left to the lab to deal with. The next one he sat to flush and I thought it was to be another runner but it was flapping like made did a large circle only to drop down dead 20 foot from Tom, at this point he had never moved not even an inch, I then let him sit for a while before letting him pick up his first warm game he retieved it perfectly. 

The next drive I was a standing gun and he sat there lovely I shot a woodcock and decided to send him as not all dog's will pick them but he did. 

The day continued much the same and he didn't put a foot wrong. I only let him have 3 retrieves and let him see the other bird's fall again no movement from him so all in all it's been a brilliant day, Tom will be 14 months old next week. 

20221227_131149_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_131144_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_111725_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_102907_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_111542_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_110031_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_111725.jpg

And the zero well there wasn't one happy day's 

Edited by B725

Sounds like he is well grounded and steady, well done on your training of Tom, glad to see you did not push him on his first shoot and well done for not sending him for that runner.

Hope you and Tom enjoy the rest of the season and training progresses without any hiccups, come next season he should be a first class shooting companion.

Well done Tom, think your dads pleased with you. :)

I am well chuffed with him it's always a little bit of a nervous time the first time out and we have ticked a lot of boxes today,the others on the shoot were more than happy to adjust things so we could do what I wanted to achieve today ( a brilliant set of men and women ) he won't be sent for any runner's this season as he needs more experience first so as the saying goes things can only get better as long as I stick to the long term training plan, he won't get rushed into owt until I think he's ready.😊

7 minutes ago, B725 said:

Indeed I do his 3rd retrieve he had to wait a good 10minutes plus he has been trained to stop, leave it and return, I've always done it that way just incase there's a bigger dog running in at the bird it prevents any problems 

I have trained (or thought I had trained) a few dogs to do that in the past.

In every case that went out of the window after the excitement of a number of runners!

13 hours ago, millrace said:

Curiously....why wont other dogs pick a woodcock?.....ive never come across this.....is it training or something about the bird....maybee just because locally i could shoot them every week our dogs are more used to them....genuinely curious.....

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/retrieving-woodcock-117780#:~:text=It's a smell that many,put it into their mouth.

18 minutes ago, London Best said:

No! Not one of them.

Just wondered what you meant when you said.

“I have trained (or thought I had trained) a few dogs to do that in the past.

In every case that went out of the window after the excitement of a number of runners!”

18 hours ago, Morkin said:

Well done on your training and a lovely looking dog,. Good onya mate and let's hope you and Tom have many happy outings 👌👍

Yes I agree, lots of work gone on there to have your 14 month old doing so well.  Don't doubt for one moment you will have days tearing your hair out....been there done that...

but obviously the basics have been taught.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Just wondered what you meant when you said.

“I have trained (or thought I had trained) a few dogs to do that in the past.

In every case that went out of the window after the excitement of a number of runners!”

The dogs eventually reached the stage (at varying ages) where I could not call them off a visible runner pheasant if they had been sent to find it and it suddenly appeared whilst they were hot on it’s scent. For about forty five years pretty well all the dogs did was pick runners for a living.
All my dogs have always been taught that rabbits are a big no no. Except the Jack Russel, of course!

3 hours ago, B725 said:

Interesting read thanks.....im probably spoilt that i have plenty of ground to go hunting them and the dogs are always flushing them almost growing up finding them as such....added that cockers ceem to have an in bread sence to find them....so much pleasure has been had when a line if dogs hunt a hedge and along comes the cocker....stops sniffs flurry of a tail up comes the cock and much polite slagging ensues!!........lol

• 2 weeks later...

Shortly after acquiring Merlin at eight months old, when out walking one morning, he dived into the undergrowth and came out with a woodcock. He brought it to me and presented it at the sit. I took it from him and allowed to the bird to fly free. Now I hadn't done any work with him at all, and neither had the chap I bought him from. I put this down to breeding and genetics. A couple of weeks later he brought me a rabbit, who objected violently to being picked by the dog. He now knows not to chase or pick up anything I have not sent him for..

On 27/12/2022 at 15:13, B725 said:

We arrived at the shoot and Tom is quite nervous of stranger's but slowly came round and so on to drive 1, I was a walking gun so me and Tom went down the outside so he wasn't overwhelmed with the other dog's. It was amusing initially as we were close to the other gun's he dropped to shot for a few time's. I then shot a pheasant but it was a runner so that was left to the lab to deal with. The next one he sat to flush and I thought it was to be another runner but it was flapping like made did a large circle only to drop down dead 20 foot from Tom, at this point he had never moved not even an inch, I then let him sit for a while before letting him pick up his first warm game he retieved it perfectly. 

The next drive I was a standing gun and he sat there lovely I shot a woodcock and decided to send him as not all dog's will pick them but he did. 

The day continued much the same and he didn't put a foot wrong. I only let him have 3 retrieves and let him see the other bird's fall again no movement from him so all in all it's been a brilliant day, Tom will be 14 months old next week. 

20221227_131149_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_131144_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_111725_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_102907_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_111542_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_110031_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20221227_111725.jpg

And the zero well there wasn't one happy day's 

Lovely write up lovely dog 👍