Lifting spare wheel to carrier/ Boot area.

Minky

One of the daughters has been  issued with a Daihatsu Terios.  The spare wheel carrier is mounted on the back door.  OK When she gets a puncture it's not beyond her abilities to get the spare off of the carrier with care, but there is no way that she has the physical strength to (A) lift / man handle a wheel of that size and weight up onto the door carrier AND (B) TO lift the wheel up into the rear boot area. WHICH may be filled with shopping, kids stuff, pushchair etc.  Anyone got any bright ideas about handling spare wheels which will be dirty and probably wet.

Let all the air out 1st 🙃

i used to keep a disposable coverall in my truck with a few nitrile gloves just in case i was suited and booted and needed to get dirty. 

As for lifting onto the back door where there's a will they will be a way. 

8 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Let all the air out 1st 🙃

i used to keep a disposable coverall in my truck with a few nitrile gloves just in case i was suited and booted and needed to get dirty. 

As for lifting onto the back door where there's a will they will be a way. 

EHHHMMM,  i think the air will be out it, as its punctured  🤣

The Army had this problem with Wolfe Landrovers, mostly with ladies and femboys. Spare wheel was side mounted and chest/head high. They used a type of harness lift, maybe Google them for a picture/idea.

In this crazy PC Woke world can we still say chest?😉

40 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

if she can't lift it up to the back door the only other way i can think of is one of the rachet type jacks they use on land rovers etc 

Are you thinking of a 'farm' type casting jack? Very heavy, unstable and unsafe in wrong hands.

Well thanks for the replies.  The tyres on the vehicle are brand new and she will be just on std black roads and getting a flat isn't an everyday occurrence but if it can happen ,,,, at some stage it will happen. She lives down near Folkstone and a lot of her travel is up the motorway to Ashford on the motorway so the possibility of asking someone is smaĺ because people don't stop to help on  otorways or most places. Nòwadays people don't want to get involved. sometimes Her husband would be available but a lot of the time he is all over the country. I did YouTube this a one bloke had the idea of rolling big 4x4 wheels up a shovel handle.  Our new Honda didn't come with a Jack or a spare wheel it just had a compressor and a pot of gloop.! If that didn't work then it was call out a tyre firm or recovery.  A problem to be resolved before it strikes.

It is a problem and I struggled to get my Landy wheel back on the carrier. Lifting was not a problem it is locating the bolts with the holes and holding the weight. For a woman it would impossible.  No easy answer short of joining a breakdown service...Greenflag??  This is not just on 4x4 type vehicles. I have stopped on a couple of ocasions and helped smartly dressed ladies who have hit one of the miriad of potholes down our lanes and deflated one of these stupid low profile tyres. 

1 minute ago, Centrepin said:

You could always try carrying one of those tins of repair stuff, forget the name. Squirt it in, rotate, inflate and drive home. Apparently if you use that stuff the tire can't be subsequently repaired but if your stuck, owts better than nowt.

Never met anyone yet who has actually had this work. 
Has anyone here used this method successfully?

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

Never met anyone yet who has actually had this work. 
Has anyone here used this method successfully?

Yes me. Had an old trailer. Turned it upside down once in garage with a puncture, squirted the muck in, sat spinning the wheel once inflated for 15 mins or so. I suppose simulating driving. It was still inflated and good to go 2 years later when I sold it.

To be fair, I've never used it on a car despite carrying a tin for maybe 15 years plus. 

Hello, as I have a terios I can only give my opinion, and yes it can be easier to take off the spare than replace on the studs as I know from experience so it may have to go in the boot,the jack is ok put in the right position, the jack tool is ok to, but the wheel nut tool  👎 ,  buy a telescopic one 👍,  never used the glue stuff or foam but I have used a repair kit and it worked, these can be used with the wheel still on if it's a nail but you need a cheap 12 volt pump up, , taking everything into consideration, if your daughter could manage buy a telescopic wheel nut tool and find room in motor for punctured tyre maybe in plastic sheet, or as Vince mentioned a breakdown service, 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

It is a problem and I struggled to get my Landy wheel back on the carrier. Lifting was not a problem it is locating the bolts with the holes and holding the weight. For a woman it would impossible.  No easy answer short of joining a breakdown service...Greenflag??  This is not just on 4x4 type vehicles.

I agree.  My Defender has 7:50 tyres on steel 'Rostyle' wheels and they weigh a ton.  I used to have the rear door mounted carrier and had this problem.  I could (maybe still can) lift the wheel OK, but only with great difficulty if also trying to bend down to see and align the studs on the wheel carrier.  Solved (sort of) as the door frame became so cracked and had to be welded (my Defender dos a fair amount of  it's mileage off road) that I have a new mount inside and have removed the rear door carrier.  Despite having a steel inner frame, the door was just too weak.

The only real solution is AA/RAC/other organisation.  It is very scary changing a wheel on the motorway hard shoulder and I would not wish to do it (again).  Getting the new wheel on the hub studs can also be difficult and doing that with your back to the motorway lane is downright scary for anyone. 

Thanks to everyones input. As far as I  see it this is a problem looking for a solution. You could be an older person. A female. A young person or me.  Modern cars have BIG wheels .  The days of 165x13 are gone.  Saying that both myself and the Mrs have only had 2 punctures in 35 years. BUT IN THE DAUGHTERS  CASE. She is a nurse that travels on the road and if it can happen it possibly will at some stage.  I think the the resolution to this problem for her is one of the motoring agencies like the AA or RAC.

Just now, Minky said:

I think the the resolution to this problem for her is one of the motoring agencies like the AA or RAC.

I think that is wise.  It isn't just the heavy spare wheel ........... but the danger of doing something relatively unpracticed in maybe dark wet cold conditions, dazzled by oncoming headlights and close fast traffic.  So many things can go wrong from the nuts being too tight to the much more serious.  Not worth the risk.

3 hours ago, Minky said:

Thanks to everyones input. As far as I  see it this is a problem looking for a solution. You could be an older person. A female. A young person or me.  Modern cars have BIG wheels .  The days of 165x13 are gone.  Saying that both myself and the Mrs have only had 2 punctures in 35 years. BUT IN THE DAUGHTERS  CASE. She is a nurse that travels on the road and if it can happen it possibly will at some stage.  I think the the resolution to this problem for her is one of the motoring agencies like the AA or RAC.

Hello, I have to agree on the break down service and I would emphasise your daughter is one of our wonderful nurses so that may help on  getting priority if the need arises, 👍

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have to agree on the break down service and I would emphasise your daughter is one of our wonderful nurses so that may help on  getting priority if the need arises, 👍

Mine is a 55 plate and still going well unlike me 🤔🙄😁

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Every so often aldi/lidl do a rope pulley capable of lifting 100kg, with a hook on the pulley and a hook on the rope. (or ebay etc)

If you can soften the hook on the pulley (protect the car paint work from damage) by wrapping it in foam/tape this would take the weight as she tries to refit the wheel to the carrier and wouldn't take up much room.

pulley.jpg