Understanding Northerners

peck

Hmmm - I was born and lived in Newcastle then moved to Berwick upon tweed. I am told that my Newcastle accent is still there but with a mix of the local Berwick accent.

I have always considered a Newcastle accent to be rather warm and welcoming, but I also recognise that it can be difficult to follow if you live south of Gatesheed.

13 hours ago, the hitman said:

Hmmm - I was born and lived in Newcastle then moved to Berwick upon tweed. I am told that my Newcastle accent is still there but with a mix of the local Berwick accent.

I have always considered a Newcastle accent to be rather warm and welcoming, but I also recognise that it can be difficult to follow if you live south of Gatesheed.

We've got a new bloke in work, a Geordie,  he came in the other week and rambled something at me, hang I said, let me just tune in and pay attention 😉 

14 minutes ago, London Best said:

I am sure those two videos posted above are a pretty accurate depiction of how many from the South, especially the TV Luvvies, really see folk from the North.

😀🙂 away an boil yer heed man 😀😀

Edited by johnphilip

I am born and bred in Liverpool and spent my entire working life, working there. However, I find it increasingly difficult to understand what a lot of 'Scousers' are actually saying and that includes my two youngest grandchildren. They talk so rapidly and fail to pronounce most of their words correctly, they often have to repeat things two or three times for me to understand what the heck they are saying. My old English teacher would despair  !     😄