Tetra Gun Grease

OGGIE

Yes, I have used it but found it inferior to the Lucas red grease that I normally use. I only use grease on the knuckle, between barrels and hinge pin(s). I found the Lucas grease to stay put, but the Tetra, being of a thinner consistency,  came out during the guns use.

1 hour ago, Jimbo yorks said:

I just use a big pot of automotive grease,

A smear on the hinge pins and bites. It's so cheap I just rub it off when I clean in and re apply 

I clean off the old grease and reapply fresh each time I clean the gun, after use. I have learned over the 60 years that I have been shooting that any product bearing the word 'gun' you will pay through the nose for  !  Thank God cartridge manufacturers don't do cleaning products  !    😄

2 hours ago, Wylye said:

Schmierfix from Alan Rhone. Used it for years, easy to apply and it does a good job. If Kreighoff use it - it must be ok.

I use that as well and found it excellent. Some greases can be too sticky and encourage bits of grit to adhere and cause scoring.

You can also get it off the Internet at a very good price.

5 hours ago, Westley said:

I clean off the old grease and reapply fresh each time I clean the gun, after use. I have learned over the 60 years that I have been shooting that any product bearing the word 'gun' you will pay through the nose for  !  Thank God cartridge manufacturers don't do cleaning products  !    😄

Thing is if you leave it on you end up with a grinding paste which knackers your gun.

That gun grease is an absolute fortune for a tiny tub and it is literally just high temperature grease used on every bit of machinery ever!

I still use this buying a dozen plus tins just after Edna Parker died from the people that took over running the business. I am now down to about eight or so. A J Parker "Gun and Rifle Lubricating Oil" after I saw it being used by a few of the gunsmiths in Price Street.

WIN_20230321_21_56_00_Pro.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

Let’s be honest, the stresses and strains on the lubricated parts of a shotgun are fairly minimal and most of us are using far too much technology for a simple task. But........ if it’s your pride and joy you like to think you are doing the best you can to preserve it and ensure that it comes to no harm. You probably fancy yourself as a bit of an engineer too which gives you more justification to smear expensive, over-specced grease on a glorified hinge mechanism. But each to his own.

7 hours ago, Wylye said:

Let’s be honest, the stresses and strains on the lubricated parts of a shotgun are fairly minimal

/\  This.

The key thing as many have pointed out in the posts above - is to clean off old grease (taking with it dirt, grit, abrasive matter etc.) and apply fresh clean sparingly.