Scope for 17HMR

Stuarta

I have variation on my FAC for 17HMR rifle and have decided to buy an Anschutz 1517 but am undecided about what scope to buy. My budget for the scope is up to £300 and the rifle will be mostly used shooting rabbits. I have limited experience shooting with a scope as my .22 has open sights but at age 77 I need help seeing them at a distance so practical advice from members will be appreciated. 

Thank you all for your replies. Snow White, your Weaver scope has very good reviews but is possibly a bigger scope than I need as the maximum range I will be shooting at is 100 to120 meters. 

I do not want to go down the night vision route as I don't have any desire to be out for hours in the dark, early mornings and evenings I can handle and enjoy. It is only for shooting over a small farm and I am not looking for any other permissions so there will not be great numbers of rabbits and only the odd fox.

I have a Nikko Diamond 4-16x50 which i've had for a year or two and is now surplus to requirements as i've go for night vision on the 22 and HMR it's been fitted to.

I was on my .223 (pictured) for a while used with an add-on for foxing The base mag is great for finding the bunnies and the max mag great for counting hairs in their ears @ 50M
The scope comes with its box, lens covers, shades and accessories as per the photo. the rings. mounts, coasters and IR torch mount is NOT included.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p123435-nikko-stirling-diamond-long-range-30mm-tactical-4-16x50-ir-rifle-scope-ndsi41650lrhf/

£175 inc delivery if you are interested.

NSD_6.JPG.79e3db01f75e5a662b06e94d7be3881b.JPG

NSD_3.JPG.506bcfb81828cc688bb3b859ac92388c.JPG

Edited by miki

I have a Hawke sport hd on mine and have no issues .

I use a Panamax nikko sterling on my 22lr and I feel it’s a better scope .

my cf have a weaver and leupold . The weaver is a fantastic scope . I would never swap it and cheap as chips .

the leupold is amazing in low light tho .

honesty think about a weaver 

77 and iron sights! You’re going to love the optics. Just pick something that holds up a bit in the dimpsy and which has enough magnification to suit you. Also the bullet path for the HMR Is very flat so picking a suitable zero should not be a problem. Finally, shooting flat there’s no need for the Christmas tree type reticle or similar - just look at some and you’ll see what I mean - go for a duplex one or similar and when necessary use the up/down/left/right a bit which you’re used to - so much simpler and quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Scopes get very personal, as does preferred magnification!!!

Just get something with enough magnification that suits you, and is clear, there is absolutely no need to spend a fortune.

There are some very good optics at very sensible prices these days. 👍

21 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Are the Hawke 17hmr reticle scopes any good?

Wonder if anyone used one? 

Shame the base zero is 100 yards tho would be handy to of had it set up from 50 like the 22lr one is. 

They do work, the .17 is flat shooting, almost the same at 50&100m. I do have one for sale on here if you are interested. At the end of the day it your choice 

3 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

They do work, the .17 is flat shooting, almost the same at 50&100m. I do have one for sale on here if you are interested. At the end of the day it your choice 

Na I sacked the 17hmr off, I may buy one of those scopes for the 22lr though. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all for your advice, I have bought a second hand Schmidt and Bender 6x42 for the Anschutz 17HMR am delighted with it. The fixed magnification suits me, I am use to open sights and I am amazed at the distance I can now see and shoot rabbits and vermin at. 

3 hours ago, Stuarta said:

Thank you for all for your advice, I have bought a second hand Schmidt and Bender 6x42 for the Anschutz 17HMR am delighted with it. The fixed magnification suits me, I am use to open sights and I am amazed at the distance I can now see and shoot rabbits and vermin at. 

Fabulous scopes as are the 8 x 56.