New potatos

Walker570

Last year as a bit of an experiment I grew some early spuds in cut down plastic drums filled with farmyard manure and compost. Very succesful so this year have put in 25 seed spuds this week and hoping for good crops. Nothing really beats pulling a couple of handfuls of new spuds ten minutes before they hit the boiling water.  Plus you don'y have to buy more than you need and have some lying around for days before they get cooked

the old boys onthe farm i used to work on as a young lad......the old boys used to look forward to new pots'.......they would gather up all the new pots of a good size.....then into a seperate basket they would put all the little ones (marble size downwards).....and they would be washed and dried and deep fried in the chip pan...to have with bacan an' eggs.............nothing wasted

new pots boiled and tossed in butter and fresh mint......................with grilled lamb chops maybe...and some green stuff

dont bother with jersey royals now as they are tasteless..............i believe the reason is the authorites have stopped the gathering of kelp and seaweed to use as fertilizer...........

can anyone confirm this ??

Edited by ditchman

We have wireworm at home so can't grow spuds with any great success but we have a lot of beech trees around the house so my father has strung up 4 1/2 tonnes bags through the corner handles and then fills it with beech leaves. When these have rotted away he grows the spuds in those. Each year he just adds more leaves to the bags and they rot away . I would imagine the bags would disintegrate if they were to be lifted now as they have been in place for years.

I've put some in this year, trying a bit different under straw fairly thick , my back is bad so digging is a noo noo , so time will tell and see what happens , I do agree with ya WALKER you can't beat them out of the soil and in the saucepan, they are not the same out of a shop, probably a week old 🤔

23 hours ago, ditchman said:

the old boys onthe farm i used to work on as a young lad......the old boys used to look forward to new pots'.......they would gather up all the new pots of a good size.....then into a seperate basket they would put all the little ones (marble size downwards).....and they would be washed and dried and deep fried in the chip pan...to have with bacan an' eggs.............nothing wasted

Pembrokeshire new potatoes with plenty of butter, thick bacon and eggs, there's not a finer meal.

On 16/04/2023 at 17:41, ditchman said:

new pots boiled and tossed in butter and fresh mint......................with grilled lamb chops maybe...and some green stuff

dont bother with jersey royals now as they are tasteless..............i believe the reason is the authorites have stopped the gathering of kelp and seaweed to use as fertilizer...........

I read that somewhere as well, a couple of years ago.

A friend of mine (sadly no longer with us) used to gather seaweed and the like off his home beach and use it as fertilizer, and his new pots were wonderful.

I just put my first earlies in two weeks ago just getting ready to put the second earlies in now . I just use potato bags and top up with old compost and feed them as i go . A few years ago i had potato bags all up the drive and had 11 different types  settled down a bit now and just use two types 

On 16/04/2023 at 17:41, ditchman said:

Agree. Jersey Royals used too taste so dam good. Start of the potato season. Grown a few of new varieties but my bench mark Pentland Javelin for first earlies.

On 17/04/2023 at 12:50, welsh1 said:

Pembrokeshire new potatoes with plenty of butter, thick bacon and eggs, there's not a finer meal.

Simple but tasty meal.😋

i know i keep mentioning this (several times).....

do you remember (not that long ago).....you could go into most supermarkets and at this time of year there would be those georgeous  GreekCypriot...new pots with their thin skins falling off and a yellow type of flesh ............they were sooooo tasty...

totally disappeared now..........

On 19/04/2023 at 07:36, Rim Fire said:

I put my charlotte potatoes in last week i now plant under straw or hay or a mixture of both its a lot easier just place spud on top of soil and spread hay over the top when you need to harvest just part the hay and pick 

Very interesting, I think I’ll give that a try