rotary battery size.

8 hours ago, oowee said:

If you use 7ah lead acid (fire alarm etc) you can use just 3ah for a session (50% of capacity).  A lithium battery at say 3ah will last just as long and be half the weight at twice the price. 

Which is why I use the "FREE" batteries from the replacement of old fire alarm/emergency lighting stock.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Which is why I use the "FREE" batteries from the replacement of old fire alarm/emergency lighting stock.

Sounds like a good move. I only have lead acid to use its heavy for its output and the terminals are half broken. 🤨

For a while now I've been experimenting with various batteries based purely on weight and secondary,  pack size. 

I normally use second hand motability scooter batteries as these are reasonably sized weigh on average less than 5lbs and a full charge gives depending on usage two days on one of my magnets or 4 days on my flapper.

More recently I've purchased the battery below and am still testing it. Its given me around 6 sessions using the flapper. Not all sessions have been a full day.

Currently it's running the 12v system on my caravan as I'm away for a week.  It's lasted from Monday till last night when with all the lights on and I used the water pump the lights dimmed. I gave it an hour on the built in charger and today its OK. Not checked with a volt meter cos that's at home, but it's in the green on the vans meter.

RoyPow Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery Pack 12V 6Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery 3500 Cycles Rechargeable FiOS Drop in Replacement of SLA Battery, for RV/Camper, Kid Scooters, Fish Finder https://amzn.eu/d/hfe85xK

14 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

7Ah seems to last a full session for me just fine

Yep, same here, I use an alarm battery 7ah and it will run the magnet for a good 6 hours before it starts to slow down, don’t know if you would get any longer from a brand new one as I have never had one.

using a decent 22ah lead acid, if you run a home built rotor with a wiper motor i find a 7ah runs out especially when the battery is well used.

so planned ahead for long sessions (hopefully on the peas again this year) and even if the battery is half shot it will still give me al good day.

hate running out of battery power when the birds start coming. car battery also for when i can drive to the hide.

11 minutes ago, stu nesling said:

using a decent 22ah lead acid, if you run a home built rotor with a wiper motor i find a 7ah runs out especially when the battery is well used.

so planned ahead for long sessions (hopefully on the peas again this year) and even if the battery is half shot it will still give me al good day.

hate running out of battery power when the birds start coming. car battery also for when i can drive to the hide.

never had any problems with a 7ah battery and that was using it on a home made magnet and a commercially made one.

If I think its going to be an all day job I take two battery's