Diane Abbot M.P. lol

ditchman

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

Because she that thick she not realised she has become an embarrassment!

at one time i thought she had dementia........................but now i believe what Agriv8 says ....she is just thick ...plain thick.......i wish i could come up with an explanation/description like what rowan atkinson would come out with....in Blackadder...she makes Baldric look like a red brick scholar

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

isnt she an independant ?..........the labour party cant touch her the..........she is 70 this year i think....she must have fully loaded pensions....why cant she just bow out..

She likes the celebrity, the attention and people treating her like she is someone special.

All through her political career she has always been at or near the top of the list for claimed expenses by mps.

Last year she claimed just shy of a quarter of a millon pounds.

She employed her son as her assistant. It's a gravy train.

Edited by Vince Green

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

She likes the celebrity, the attention and people treating her like she is someone special.

All through her political career she has always been at or near the top of the list for claimed expenses by mps.

Last year she claimed just shy of a quarter of a millon pounds.

She employed her son as her assistant. It's a gravy train.

On a technicality as she will have been putting in expensise to cover her stag - so we payed for her son to work for her !

Agriv8

9 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

She would play  the race card as usual  -  perhaps audit the top 20 claimers every 12 months.

The thing with the expenses is that they will vary; it is understandable that those who represent far flung constituencies such as Northern Ireland, Highlands and Islands etc. would reasonably have higher expenses.  Travel, two separate houses, and a lot of extra time spent travelling may well also mean additional help needed at the constituency end when the MP is in London.

On the other hand,those who live in London will only need one home as they can commute to Parliament, can easily attend constituency matters when Parliament is sitting, and minimal expenses (we know Diane Abbott uses the tube as she was 'done' for drinking on the tube).  I know houses in London are expensive, but the 'main' house shouldn't be on expenses anyway as everyone needs one dwelling house.  It is only the 'non-commutable' who need a second home - and that should be a modest flat if paid out of public expenses.

Edited by JohnfromUK

22 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The thing with the expenses is that they will vary; it is understandable that those who represent far flung constituencies such as Northern Ireland, Highlands and Islands etc. would reasonably have higher expenses.  Travel, two separate houses, and a lot of extra time spent travelling may well also mean additional help needed at the constituency end when the MP is in London.

On the other hand,those who live in London will only need one home as they can commute to Parliament, can easily attend constituency matters when Parliament is sitting, and minimal expenses (we know Diane Abbott uses the tube as she was 'done' for drinking on the tube).  I know houses in London are expensive, but the 'main' house shouldn't be on expenses anyway as everyone needs one dwelling house.  It is only the 'non-commutable' who need a second home - and that should be a modest flat if paid out of public expenses.

I really applaud your optimism John, wondering the odds of it being misplaced?

20 minutes ago, old man said:

I really applaud your optimism John, wondering the odds of it being misplaced?

Indeed, I was saying how it should be.  I'm not against providing decent expenses for those who live in constituencies a long way away.  Personally I HATE travelling and the idea of having to commute into London weekly for a good part of the year even by decent rail transport would be a strong discouragement even if fully funded 1st class. 

But IF you live in London, there should be no extra expenses for a second home, and only a suitable London Transport travel pass to pay for. 

The exception would be those in high office who I accept do need a car (and driver) to meet tight schedules and security - but that doesn't apply to ordinary MPs.

22 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Indeed, I was saying how it should be.  I'm not against providing decent expenses for those who live in constituencies a long way away.  Personally I HATE travelling and the idea of having to commute into London weekly for a good part of the year even by decent rail transport would be a strong discouragement even if fully funded 1st class. 

But IF you live in London, there should be no extra expenses for a second home, and only a suitable London Transport travel pass to pay for. 

The exception would be those in high office who I accept do need a car (and driver) to meet tight schedules and security - but that doesn't apply to ordinary MPs.

Far too much common sense there John?

On 24/04/2023 at 17:02, Agriv8 said:

On a technicality as she will have been putting in expensise to cover her stag - so we payed for her son to work for her !

Agriv8

I don't think her son ever actually worked for her in reality. His mental health problems would have been too great to allow that.

On 25/04/2023 at 16:54, JohnfromUK said:

The house of commons taxi account is available for MPs and their staff and it always used to be charged back to a central account. So MPs and their staff don't have to claim back for taxis when in London.

When my ex wife worked at the House of Commons they used to swann around all over the place in taxis and nobody ever queried what it was for.

Mind you that was a good few years ago, I don't know if it's still the same now

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I don't think her son ever actually worked for her in reality. His mental health problems would have been too great to allow that.

Are we agreeing that worked ( turned up at some point  ) and paid (for turning up ) is applicable here ?

Agriv8