Feeding pigeon to dogs

Maccarjm

4 hours ago, snow white said:

What for lead shot where you going to get one of them 

I've had a look on Google and you can pick up a wand style metal detector (like you get in an airport) for as little as 10 pounds, not sure that would be sensative enough but I'm sure a decent one would be, lead is a very dense metal.

26 minutes ago, snow white said:

Don’t think lead is detectable on that sort of device 

Interesting, I always assumed metal detectors worked by bouncing some form of wave (like sonar or something), a quick Google after reading your post reveals it works via magnetic propertys, with lead obviously being low, although I've read that lead is now detectable so I'm sure the right detector would pick shot up, whether a cheap one or not would I don't know. Im sure someone with far more knowledge than I, or a manufacturer could confirm.

2 hours ago, snow white said:

Let’s see if someone more knowledgeable is reading this because I was under the impression that lead doesn’t show up if you watch the game and wildlife programs on tv the game wardens check the cartridges with a magnet to see if using steel as it picks up.

Neither are tungsten, Bismuth, Copper or Silver magnetic.

If on the otherhand, you nickel plate lead, it will show up as magnetic.

Edited by Stonepark

12 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

The bigger more expensive metal detectors will detect lead, mine does. Old battle sites are popular for detecting lead ball shot. I don't know if you would get a small cheap wand type to detect lead shot.

Used to have fun watching metal detectorists getting excited on field next door to an old wood with a rookery (adjacent a historic site), finding nowt but my catapult ammo that had been shot at the crows etc, both 9mm steelies and 38 cal lead balls and they were finding both.

37 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

The bigger more expensive metal detectors will detect lead, mine does. Old battle sites are popular for detecting lead ball shot. I don't know if you would get a small cheap wand type to detect lead shot.

Theres an old battle site from the 1798 United Irish men rebellion less than a mile from me, my dad has dug up a huge amount of shot from the English Brown Bess muskets and  grapeshot from the cannons.