Audi re-gen

la bala

My daughter has an Audi A1, she only uses it for short trips to work. The problem is, the regen is topping the oil sump up with diesel. Short of taking it down the motorway every two days is there an easy fix. I am beginning to think the DPF filter may need a clean. Any input boys.

Sounds like its not getting to complete its re gen cycle properly. I would get the filter manually cleaned out or get a forced re gen done at a mechanics. With some vehicles the forces re gen just uses the computer to hold it at a few thousand RPM for a certain amount of time, I'm unsure how the newer Audi systems work.

Manually cleaning can be as simple as taking the filter off and back washing it with a house til the water runs clear 

Thanks for your pointers Rob. I am wondering if the short journey to work doesnt allow the re-gen to complete, and it starts a new one on the home journey which doesnt complete. Its fortunate I checked the oil yesterday, the amount of diesel in the sump was unreal, and the last oil change was 3000 miles.

Hi

Suggest you look on an Audi Forum as there will be Enthusiasts that know more than the Main Stealers and also where good Independent Audi people are.

I am on 2 such Forums (both Chariots are VW stable), much learnt and being applied.

L

Wife has had same problem with Audi’s and Discovery Sport. Too many short journeys. The DPF doesn’t get hot enough. I have always made ours re-gen by sticking it in a lower gear and holding revs above about 4000 for a while. Ten minutes should do it. 
If your oil is full of diesel I would change the oil first!

We used to have this issue with motors that were driven without working the engine. 
I recall having to do 4 junction of the m6 to clear it. 

I semi solved it by just leaving it idling  after it had been on a drive  for 30 mins or so every now and again 

Had the same issue with my daughters a1 1.6 Diesel last week

dpf light on, unable to clear it with a hard drive 

Engine management light & glow plug light then came on & went into limp

Had to have a forced regen then oil & filter change

They are a pain in the butt

My L200 is the same, I can tell when it goes in to re-gen as it gets sluggish up to around 2.5k revs, then takes off, exhaust temps get to around 700°C (I have Bluetooth on OBD port and linked to the head unit using Torque pro) Twice per tank it seems to re-gen. pain in the backside! MPG goes to carp too!!

A good hard driving now and again or petrol car is only options (legally)...

16 hours ago, la bala said:

Thanks for all the comments guys. With my daughter only doing short trips, I think I will advise her to change her car for a petrol one.

After like experiences with 2 modern diesel vehicles that is the definitive answer. Because they know their customers and their needs one local family owned reputable dealer will not sell diesels to the folk (usually the more elderly) who they know will have a usage not suited to diesel.

1 hour ago, countryman said:

After my Discovery 4 which I love I am going to buy a new Petrol car before the ban, assuming of course our leaders are still hell bent on completely destroying our personal transportation. 

Of course! It’s obvious now! 
It’s all a cunning plan to get people to buy new cars.