Strange cameras

Nublue 22

2 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

There has been a few cameras fitted on to the street lights near me , there very high up and inconspicuous, they point to the road and don't move, there's no signs there just there. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what there for? 

Possible to put up a picture of said "cameras" ?

Those cameras are often seen and installed by the council on known "active" dogging spots.............check your yearly breakdown on your council tax leaflet in the section "Law enforcement".......and it will show excactly what your hard earned cash goes toward

Edited by ditchman

Couple of years back, someone reported on a local Facebook group of a strange camera on a telegraph pole pointing towards road. If memory serves me it wasn't a large camera and people replied saying "report it to council".

Council came next day and removed it. Apparently, it was nothing to do with them or police or government and someone had stuck it up themselves. Im guessing it were wifi so had to been someone nearby?

Hi

Sometimes cameras are put up to record traffic flows to establish for example 'rat-running' vehicles between A and B, through predominantly residential areas or other points of congestion on the highway network......

L

12 hours ago, Loki said:

Hi

Sometimes cameras are put up to record traffic flows to establish for example 'rat-running' vehicles between A and B, through predominantly residential areas or other points of congestion on the highway network......

L

Normally that is done with the two rubber pipes across the road.

But occasionally they do use cameras and they usually get put up on their own temporary poles, not existing fixtures.

Hi Tightchoke

Dunno how to do the 'quote' thingy :) due to 'vintage'!

Sure, when I need traffic data this is possible via infra-red (speed surveys/vehicle counts etc.) rather than the tubes across the carriageway, usiually on existing street/highways infrastructure.

L

Edited by Loki

If a camera is installed on an existing bit of roadside furniture and looks permanent, the chances are it an ANPR camera. They can be operated by 2 different organisations, the local council and the police. Sometimes the council and police work together and share the data. They are used by the council to monitor traffic flow and by the police to monitor criminal activity. They are NOT type approved for speed detection like a standard speed camera but there are some that are now approved for bus lane/yellow box prosecutions. I have installed many ANPR cameras and it is very satisfying when I hear that a camera I installed has been integral in tracking an abducted child or murderer. They are clever bits of kit and along with other technologies the info that the police can get is incredible. There are other different traffic monitoring equipment around that the  public dont know about, just look at the grey boxes on the side of the road and strapped to lamp posts as you drive around, most of them I have installed at one time or another.