Long awaited return to the hide!

Wilts#Dave

After the longest lean spell I’ve had for some years, I finally spotted a few pigeons over the last couple of weeks appearing to drop onto a field of Lupins I pass most days on the way to work. Being a very difficult field to actually watch due to access I didn’t take a proper look but did glance every time I drove by and seeing odd ones in the air every time decided to take a closer look (well Dad did initially)! 
This was earlier in the week and on inspection he’d seen none actually down feeding but lots in the surrounding trees so a couple of days later I decided to look myself after work at about 3 o clock, to find 50/100 birds down feeding and as before lots coming out of the trees……after watching for half an hour or so a flight line from several directions became obvious and I got the feeling a good. days shooting could be on the cards. Having shot the field before and being on a farm that shoots well I was eager to get at them so decided to go the next day. After covering many miles with very little to find since last Autumn I was excited to get out again, whatever the bag! 
Getting to the field yesterday at midday on the nose, the wind didn’t favour where I planned on getting but I managed to set up in a spot with the wind coming from my right hand side which I hoped it would be the right place. Parking the truck up on the other side of the field I left Dad to finish setting up and by the time I was walking back at 12:30 pigeons were in on the decoys and he’d had a couple of shots. 
Once in the hide, I was in the action within a minute or so and started shooting (poorly a first due to being a bit rusty I think) but soon got into them and was dropping plenty with the odd double thrown in for good measure. After shooting 20 or 30 we had a pick up and set up the dead birds in the pattern and this improved things further. 
We didn’t pick up properly for the next 4 hours apart from the odd runner to dispatch and just left them where they fell, many belly up but it didn’t really affect how they came and with such regularity there was just never a right time to go out! I ran out of cartridges just before 5 o clock. By which time I’ll be honest I was pretty fatigued, the sun had been beating in the hide, having so many shots the gun was hot to touch at times and we had a lot of picking up to do! 
I’d say 90% of pigeons that came to the field came to our set up, from three directions and was just one of those days where you’ve got it spot on and the pigeons are intent on that field / your position. 
I’ve never shot over Lupins before, but it’s the only field in this area with an edible crop at the moment which they’ve clearly found and are enjoying……there’s been such a lack of pigeons in our area it was the most unexpected day I (and Dad) have ever had in 30 years of shooting. 
We eventually picked up 233, with another dozen or so crashing into the thick undergrowth behind which couldn’t be picked. A wonderful day which I’ll never forget! 
IMG_2023-6-10-185753.jpg.3fb5465ac42782d489e181e73c887694.jpg

That will certainly be a day to remember Will , more so after a prolong spell of inactivity and not only having mega sport you also had your dad for company who was also getting a nice lot of sport .

I have shot over most crops but I can never recall shooting over Lupins , that is what keep us looking week in and week out as these sort of fields do crop up from time to time , rare I know but they are out there , the hard part is finding them .

Well done on a fantastic bag and I hope you won't have to wait that long again for the next one , hope your dad enjoyed himself and didn't have any health issues after a tiring day :good:

Blooming marvellous.

I have sensed your frustration over the past few months so well done on getting an exceptional bag. It just goes to show that although it doesn’t appear that there are pigeons in an area they are there somewhere.

On 10/06/2023 at 19:20, marsh man said:

That will certainly be a day to remember Will , more so after a prolong spell of inactivity and not only having mega sport you also had your dad for company who was also getting a nice lot of sport .

I have shot over most crops but I can never recall shooting over Lupins , that is what keep us looking week in and week out as these sort of fields do crop up from time to time , rare I know but they are out there , the hard part is finding them .

Well done on a fantastic bag and I hope you won't have to wait that long again for the next one , hope your dad enjoyed himself and didn't have any health issues after a tiring day :good:

Thanks Marsh man, was certainly a turn up for the books as they say…..those unexpected red letter days are the best, and was great that Dad was there to be part of it. He actually did more shooting than usual as there was so much action which was nice, as I’ve done the lions share for a long time now. 
It’s the first time we’ve shot over them, I only kept an eye on the field as it was late drilled and there’s nothing else in that area (peas namely) which is why they’ve gone on it so hard I guess…..the satisfaction is in finding them! 
Dad was a little overheated but the air con in the truck soon cooled him down 🤣

On 10/06/2023 at 19:43, JDog said:

Blooming marvellous.

I have sensed your frustration over the past few months so well done on getting an exceptional bag. It just goes to show that although it doesn’t appear that there are pigeons in an area they are there somewhere.

Thanks Jdog. I must say you sensed right, it’s been a frustrating winter / spring really with seemingly nothing to find. This really was a turn up for the books, and as you say just goes to show they’re often there somewhere it’s just pinning them down.
This particular area is one I’ve shot a lot of my bigger bags in and definitely attracts a good number of pigeons when the cropping is right. 
I hope you’re keeping well and starting to see some showing. This has oddly been the only place I’ve seen any of any numbers yet produced such a good bag. 

On 10/06/2023 at 20:33, muncher said:

Fantastic day, lm glad it came good for you. 

Thanks, you’ve had a good run too recently I see which is good 👍🏼

On 10/06/2023 at 20:59, pigeon controller said:

A well deserved day of excellent shooting, that will be a definite day to remember along with the picture. We still have limited numbers dispersed around the midlands . Thanks for sharing your day with us again well done.

Thanks PC, yes it is definitely one to remember. Will be in my memory forever, as a standout day. 
I’m sure you must be sitting on a good day very soon, it’s most unusual for you not to be shooting good numbers in your area isn’t it, maybe it’s about to change? 

On 11/06/2023 at 07:01, dead eye alan said:

Super day very pleased for you and your dad.

Thanks Alan 👍🏼

On 11/06/2023 at 08:36, stockybasher said:

Fantastic day - well done to you and Dad !!

Thanks, it was a great day! 

On 11/06/2023 at 19:11, crowcaller said:

Well done a very good day, what chairs are they that you are using as I find the camping chairs are a bit low and after a full day your legs are hammered getting up and down.

Thanks. They’re just folding aluminium chairs, I’m not sure where they came from now but if you type in folding aluminium directors chair they appear on Amazon etc. They’re surprisingly comfy and not heavy, I can’t sit on anything without a back now! 

On 11/06/2023 at 19:38, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A RED LETTER DAY!

Well done.

It certainly was, thanks! 

On 12/06/2023 at 03:14, NoBodyImportant said:

Better then any day I had

I’ve spent 30 years chasing them along with the old man, that’s certainly not an everyday occurrence for us but I’ve had some great days over the years…..it’s what keeps me interested I guess, if you do it long enough your red letter dat will come 👍🏼

On 12/06/2023 at 12:14, yickdaz said:

That's pigeon shooting you can see nothing for months on end then all of a sudden they turn up and thats not a bad way to end a drought  I'll bet you will get another go on there 

It’s somewhat amazing isn’t it, that there can be such a drought for months on end then a bag like that can come out of nowhere. I didn’t shoot over 200 last year on peas/stubble or anything yet saw much more promising days numbers wise than I did in this instance. 
If it doesn’t shoot up too much I’m hoping so, saw some floating in there earlier on from a distance when I drove by this afternoon so maybe have a closer look later in the week if time allows! 

On 12/06/2023 at 18:57, Spr1985 said:

Sounds like you and your dad made some great memory’s that day, well done 👏🏻👏🏻 an enjoyable report to read so thanks for posting it 👍🏻

Absolutely, it’s great to share days like that with someone. We talk about a lot of days from the past, this will be one of them I’m sure 😁👍🏼