Chokes coming loose fixed with new choke grease

HantsRob

I have a nice Beretta, and I invested in the Beretta Optima HP black 3/8 chokes. Both the stock chokes and these black extended chokes suffer from a similar issue that they come loose during shooting, so I was checking the chokes between every stand. Not the worst thing but annoying if you forget and find it is quite loose, as I don't want to damage chokes or barrels.

I was at the Greenfields charity shoot and spoke to the Teague rep and asked why this happens. The answer was interesting, and was a zero pressure conversation and nothing was attempted to be sold to me. It could be snakeoil, but will give my answer at the end of my results. It may be psychosomatic. 

Issue 1 - grease/lube
This was explained that grease and lube when hot may change state, and even high temp grease is not designed to stop the choke from moving. Movement can occur. 
Teague choke grease is a tiny tube, but you only need a small bead. This becomes 'tacky' under heat and use, which actually helps the choke stay in place. This will reduce movement during usage in theory.

Issue 2 - DT11 barrels are slightly "squished" to an oval at the end of the choke by how they solder/join the barrels
Excuse really poor terminology with that description, but in essence I have always felt the chokes go in a little awkwardly. There is a bit more tolerance (in looseness) when putting in a Beretta made choke, and although I couldn't feel it as much until I tried another brand choke, it did feel like it never felt as smooth putting it in as it should. I tried a teague choke and it just felt like it was more precision made and fitted better. It seemed to screw in nicer which doesn't counter the ovalness comment made by him, but I would say it felt like it was a better fit.

Disclosure at this point:
I have bought the grease. I have not bought the chokes. I am not endorsing Teague chokes or how they pattern. (I would actually like to test my beretta 3/8ths against some Teague 3/8ths in fairness to see if it makes much difference!)

Results
I have tried this on my DT, and also a friend has tried it on his 725 who has the same issue of chokes sometimes needing a little cinch up, which was harder with his teague internal chokes unless carrying a key. 
We have both experienced the teague choke grease has kept the choke in place, and I think the 725 initially needed a little finger tightening but then shot a lot better (i.e. didn't come loose - it won't help his shooting!). My DT didn't need tightening over shooting just shy of a slab, first time ever!

So without marketing hype, I do think the Teague choke grease was really fantastic. It may be all in my head but as a product it's stopped me worrying about loose chokes. I don't know if I can justify selling my Beretta black extended 3/8ths for Teague chokes, and I wish I had asked the Teague guy to borrow a 3/8 to go pattern plate it. If anyone has compared the 2 I would love to see, but also I am also thinking "if you're on the target then it will kill" so is it worth the pennies.... I am not that good a shooter for it to count probably!

I just wanted to say thanks to the Teague guy if he ever reads this for listening to me for 30 minutes and really giving me the time and attention and not letting me feel stupid. Zero pressure, zero drama, just advice for me to make my own informed decision. 

I'd love to hear of anyone elses experiences with their gun grease, and any difference when someone has gone from Beretta to Teague. :)

I shoot  HP 1/2 s in my 694 , but wanted something a bit more open so 3 weeks ago I went with Teague 3/8, I found them to be as tight if not tighter than the 1/2 OCHP , So much so that I sold them on Sunday to a friend who has a DT11. He normally shoots HP 1/2 and 3/4 and wanted something a bit more open. He used them on the pool shoot and was impressed.  Im going back to HP 1/4 1/4. As everybody says choke is mostly in your head. But if thats the case why dont skeet shooters use full and full and Trap shooters skeet and skeet ?

As for choke grease I have used Tetra gun grease ( -73c to 398c ) for ages and never had a problem, I do check them every 4 or 5 stands but not had one come loose. Its something i have always done since seeing a Muller disintegrate 

Edited by mpmilo

29 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

I went with Teague 3/8, I found them to be as tight if not tighter than the 1/2 OCHP

As for choke grease I have used Tetra gun grease

Did you pattern them and saw them tighter, or just a vibe, or missing more? Really interesting feedback.

Tetra is the same price ml for ml. I will consider that as a backup, thanks for that info!

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

copper slip ?

I don't know what that is referring to or what it means I am afraid?

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

I have a nice Beretta, and I invested in the Beretta Optima HP black 3/8 chokes. Both the stock chokes and these black extended chokes suffer from a similar issue that they come loose during shooting, so I was checking the chokes between every stand. Not the worst thing but annoying if you forget and find it is quite loose, as I don't want to damage chokes or barrels.

I always was of the belief that it is "pitch" that is the most important factor in whether something that has something else passing down it has a correct "pitch" to prevent the thing passing down it from unscrewing it. 

I am sorry that the OP has an issue. Beretta are a world class manufacturer and have a reputation to maintain. My first point of call would be with Beretta and see what they advise. Good effort from Teague to try to "piggyback" their product on to you.

Speak withe Beretta. see what they say. I am sure they will try to sort it and will indeed sort it. And for those looking for the product referenced by DITCHMAN it is "Copaslip". Good, as GORDON R says, for cars. Especially brake pads. I used nothing else. For guns? I think a cheap lithium grease would be better?

Edited by enfieldspares

46 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Did you pattern them and saw them tighter, or just a vibe, or missing more? Really interesting feedback.

Tetra is the same price ml for ml. I will consider that as a backup, thanks for that info!

I don't know what that is referring to or what it means I am afraid?

No I dont pattern plate anything, I shoot at a straight going away clay, gun up and gun down and the Teagues were dusting it way beyond the HP 1/2 range. The Super extended Teagues I had in my gun did come loose after approx 50 birds, my OCHP never have.

OCHP chokes are known to be tight, thats why on another site I asked some 694 users what they use and all are on 1/4 1/4 for sporting.

I dont get the bit about the oval muzzle on the DT11 as the OCHP fit 694, Silver Pigeon sporter 686 and probably some others, Are Teague saying all Beretta muzzles are oval, so therefore all Teague chokes are oval ?

Edited by mpmilo
spelling

I’ve used Teagues after market chokes for a long time now. I still have two extended stainless chokes I bought for a 101 perhaps twenty years ago, although I no longer have the gun, and yes, they do work loose after a while. 
I have both flush and extended Teagues in two other shotguns I own, and it’s not an issue tweaking either as I remove a gun from its slip or as I enter the shooting cage on a clay ground or stand on a peg. I’ve done it for that long now it’s habitually automatic.
Internals are tweaked by shoving a finger in the barrel and giving them a tweak, but I can’t recall the last time I found one to be loose. Externals however, do tend to loosen slightly, but like I say, it’s not an issue. 
3/8th choke is my go to choke for all live quarry shooting, whether flush or extended, and the Teagues are outstanding, as also is a 3/8th Briley extended I have in a self loader. 
I use Hoppes No9 gun grease. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

copper slip ?

Fall Down - Retro Cop Policeman Vector Illustration Royalty Free SVG,  Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 120688873.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Copper grease - used mainly on cars.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Speak withe Beretta. see what they say. I am sure they will try to sort it and will indeed sort it.

Good effort from Teague to try to "piggyback" their product on to you.

Beretta rep (possibly GMK?) said just check between stands. This wasn't quite the service I expected.

To be fair, he asked if I wanted to try one of his chokes to see how it fit in comparison. Of course a sales effort, but no pressure or request to sell to me.

48 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

No I dont pattern plate anything, I shoot at a straight going away clay, gun up and gun down and the Teagues were dusting it way beyond the HP 1/2 range. The Super extended Teagues I had in my gun did come loose after approx 50 birds, my OCHP never have.

Are Teague saying all Beretta muzzles are oval, so therefore all Teague chokes are oval ?

Good feedback. Thankyou!

No, I think they said it's the way the DT barrels are joined specifically, I don't know if it's "all higher end" that go to the other side of the factory. Their chokes aren't oval, you wouldn't be able to screw it in. I think the point was better precision in engineering, and the way the barrels are compressed together and welded. Gosh, I wish I had taken more notice when it was being explained, sorry for being vague. They also were not bashing the Steelium pro barrels, just saying their chokes aren't as precise I guess?

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

it’s not an issue tweaking either as I remove a gun from its slip or as I enter the shooting cage on a clay ground or stand on a peg.
3/8th choke is my go to choke for all live quarry shooting, whether flush or extended, and the Teagues are outstanding, as also is a 3/8th Briley extended I have in a self loader. 
I use Hoppes No9 gun grease. 

My issue was that I was becoming paranoid about it, I am sure it would move to a learned behaviour, but it bothered me. A lot.

Good to know about the rest, thankyou for your time replying. Appreciated.

6 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

They also were not bashing the Steelium pro barrels, just saying their chokes aren't as precise I guess?

I must admit I found the chokes excellent out of the box, A little tighter than advertised. But on a par with the Caesar Guerini maxi chokes which I still rate as the best out the box chokes available .

But maybe the difference in my patterning could be the forcing cones, I had a SP 686 and shot the OCHP 3/8 s out of that and they were superb. Changed to a 694 last November and used the same 3/8 chokes and was not confident at all. Went to 1/ 2s which were excellent, but a little too tight Imo for most sporting targets these days. Hence why i bought the Teagues. 

Ive used Teagues in my Brownings for years they are a good choke.

I've yet to find a gun/choke combo where finger tightened chokes would stay put. Grease or not they always come loose unless they're nipped up with the key. There's a clue in the fact that there's always a key supplied with the gun!

Beretta will simply tell you to use the key - as will every other maker.

Forget the rocket science and put a trace of grease on the threads before tightening with the key. Any grease will do but, although I've never personally used it on guns, copper grease has the advantage of being heatproof (Messy stuff though)

I have had two Berettas with the same problem (Silver Pig and a 692) I used white Lithium grease for a while (a bit messy) and then a tub of red grease I have in my garage. Both have the required effect.

It is annoying but it is a simple solution, I just replace the grease when I clean the gun and add a smear of grease to the spare chokes which are kept clean and grit free in a choke box.

image.png.46befa1a5cde2e06caad39e380969b4b.png

Edited by martinj