Rifle tripods.

old man

Thanks so far.

The difficulty lies in the quick acquisition required for distance, direction and elevation?

Currently use long twin sticks and wondering if anything better? Second hand Primos gen 2 or 3? What's the difference?

Edited by old man

6 hours ago, old man said:

Thanks so far.

The difficulty lies in the quick acquisition required for distance, direction and elevation?

Currently use long twin sticks and wondering if anything better? Second hand Primos gen 2 or 3? What's the difference?

I use Primos Gen 3. Not sure what the difference is between the Gen 2 model, but I've had these for a number of years and they have been excellent. I attached a hog saddle clamp together with a Manbily KM-0 swivel head. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I think going by his name the bog death grip maybe to heavy for him

I was sort of presuming he was after something to use where he was just sat on bait rather than walking about with them 

I think the trade off with the weight - if he is just sat waiting - is ok because you can just clamp it in and leave it 

• 2 weeks later...

When sat I use a camera tripod, took awhile to find a good one, it's heavy & the legs spread out quite wide compared to most, a rifle rest with camera tripod thread. For standing I've tried various 2 & 3 leg rests, the best I've found I'd the Primos Gen3 but due to wobbles I've now gone to quad sticks. Absolutely brilliant compared but I'm going to do some more paper target sessions first before going onto live quarry.

The difference between the gen 2 and gen 3 primos is a locking ring where the legs splay beneath the hand grip, it prevents the legs over splaying but with a simple twist slows the legs to splay further out. Hope that helps 

2 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

The difference between the gen 2 and gen 3 primos is a locking ring where the legs splay beneath the hand grip, it prevents the legs over splaying but with a simple twist slows the legs to splay further out. Hope that helps 

I was wondering if the head on the primos tripod (v2) when you unscrew the V bracket can take the clamp from the bog death grip 

so basically can I just unscrew the V bracket and replace it with the vice arrangement or do they use different attachment mechanisms?

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

The Primos trigger stick has a 'universal' size camera thread which hsould accept 99% of add on's. I presume the BOG clamp has the same thread size.

So does the bog use the standard 1/4” camera tripod style screw I guess 

D

I appreciate the primos is probably less sturdy than the bog tripod but it’s probably also lighter 

On 29/06/2023 at 08:19, old man said:

Any and all comments please on the above. Makes and usability etc.

Sometimes my arms need a bit of help and tall sticks no much help?

Thanks

I think I’ve mentioned elsewhere it’s not just the tools it’s how you use it and I struggled with the vipers until it was explained the two things;

Firstly getting them the right height so you’re not leaning down to the rifle and crouching 

Secondly for a right handed shooter placement of your left hand in an L with thumb under barrel and arm straight is night and day difference to holding rifle in classic shooting stance with fingers under barrel and thumb to left of barrel - I was well shakey with fingers under barrel but when I twisted hand around to an L it was nearly as stable as shooting prone/bench

D

On 29/06/2023 at 08:32, Centrepin said:

I use a converted camera tripod.

Light, easy to set up and good adjustment.

Found a good half dozen of those  in a shop second hand.was tempted to buy as only a few quid but as im new to stalkiing i debated it. i may go back and grab one .quick dull down with matt paint and may be perfect

20 minutes ago, bishop said:

Found a good half dozen of those  in a shop second hand.was tempted to buy as only a few quid but as im new to stalkiing i debated it. i may go back and grab one .quick dull down with matt paint and may be perfect

Camera tripods also available on eBay for few quid even older sturdy ones 

On 30/06/2023 at 17:50, steve_b_wales said:

I use Primos Gen 3. Not sure what the difference is between the Gen 2 model, but I've had these for a number of years and they have been excellent. I attached a hog saddle clamp together with a Manbily KM-0 swivel head. 

Plus one trigger sticks. I use the standard v yoke. Quick height adjustment via trigger even on uneven ground as the legs operate independently.