FEO SPOT CHECK.

Just had a call from Merseyside feo arranging a time for a spot check re security etc of firearms/guns, and also to ask about my own general health.

I have arranged for this PM. Has any one else had this ?

Edited by Good shot?

I had one earlier this year following a house move to both check that my security arrangements were adequate and complete a check of arms owned/ registered etc.. 

They are going to want to see each and every gun and inspect the serial numbers compared with what is on your certificates so make sure you have adequate clear space to lay down all of your guns as/when requested. This makes it easier than passing each gun out from the cabinet in turn if you have 10+ guns spread across two cabinets etc. 

It would be good to check the serial numbers yourself and compare them against what is written on your certificate. Make sure that they are all correctly logged with the right numbers in the right order prior to the visit (we discovered that an RFD had recorded a serial number incorrectly on my spot check that no one, including the FA dept themselves, hadn't noticed). 

If you've had any new guns since your last renewal or check then it would be handy to have the paperwork that the RFD provides along with any evidence that you had submitted it to the FA Dept (printed emails and read receipts etc) to save the ball ache of being accused that you hadn't informed them of a new purchase etc.. They may well have been given an old copy of your certificate to attend with so this always helps. 

Other sensible things like moving that recycling bag with 10 Budweiser bottles in from outside of the front door lest they question your current alcohol consumption vs what you may have previously stated on an application. Having the keys to your cabinets in your pocket ready for the visit rather than having the FAO observe you retrieving them for their location etc.. 

If you want them in and out in as little time as possible then don't put the kettle on or offer a hot drink. Last guy was here for over 2 hours (based on a 15 minute appointment) talking about how bad the previous season had gone for him and his game syndicate. 

Edited by Poor Shot

16 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

I had one earlier this year following a house move to both check that my security arrangements were adequate and complete a check of arms owned/ registered etc.. 

They are going to want to see each and every gun and inspect the serial numbers compared with what is on your certificates so make sure you have adequate clear space to lay down all of your guns as/when requested. This makes it easier than passing each gun out from the cabinet in turn if you have 10+ guns spread across two cabinets etc. 

It would be good to check the serial numbers yourself and compare them against what is written on your certificate. Make sure that they are all correctly logged with the right numbers in the right order prior to the visit (we discovered that an RFD had recorded a serial number incorrectly on my spot check that no one, including the FA dept themselves, hadn't noticed). 

If you've had any new guns since your last renewal or check then it would be handy to have the paperwork that the RFD provides along with any evidence that you had submitted it to the FA Dept (printed emails and read receipts etc) to save the ball ache of being accused that you hadn't informed them of a new purchase etc.. They may well have been given an old copy of your certificate to attend with so this always helps. 

Other sensible things like moving that recycling bag with 10 Budweiser bottles in from outside of the front door lest they question your current alcohol consumption vs what you may have previously stated on an application. Having the keys to your cabinets in your pocket ready for the visit rather than having the FAO observe you retrieving them for their location etc.. 

If you want them in and out in as little time as possible then don't put the kettle on or offer a hot drink. Last guy was here for over 2 hours (based on a 15 minute appointment) talking about how bad the previous season had gone for him and his game syndicate. 

I had an issue with this many years ago. Luckily the FEO could see who (not me ot the RFD) made the mistake.

I renewed my coterminous certs only last year!!

FEO just been, nice chap, simply a check on cabinet security and a chat to all under 18’s or over 70 year olds to check that I am not “addled “ or a danger to the public etc.

NB. I am not under 18 or addled 🥴 

Edited by Good shot?
Add on info

“ spot check” was the term the feo used when he rang me.

No guns where checked, more about me and my health etc.

I believe you can (if you like) refuse them entry if not pre arranged and agree a date and time you want.

Edited by Good shot?
Add on

i had a spot check after theHorden shootings the feo had a police woman with him she seemed very anti gun and asked the wife if she was ever frightend of me and if so to ring 999 wifes reply was she had no idea of what guns i had and after 45 years she no interese and was not bothered what i had ive no doubt it would have gone badlyifthe reply was different

What a ridiculous statement, I would have asked the policewoman to leave.(politely) Or at least showed her the knife rack or kitchen drawer and to ask me if my wife ever frightened me...

Edited by Good shot?

Renewed my tickets this year applied for a variation in 223 said i was getting a new cabinet as i already got 2 SG and 4 rifles no room for the new rifle that would be coming so they said send in some pics of instalment spoke to me over the phone job done   

On 06/07/2023 at 10:53, Good shot? said:

Just had a call from Merseyside feo arranging a time for a spot check re security etc of firearms/guns, and also to ask about my own general health.

I have arranged for this PM. Has any one else had this ?

No, not had that, YET........I shall look forward to it   !   🙂

I have heard rumours that Cumbria Police want SGC holders to photograph serial numbers and to email them in.

Strange how we have managed for so long.

In all the years I have held an SGC it has only ever been the Police/Firearms Licensing that have made mistakes.

If i was an FEO & a certificate holder didnt offer me a cuppa I might become suspicous of his motives in wanting me out quicker? It is common courtesy to offer a cuppa, But they dont have to accept!

In the past Essex police asked for photographs of serial numbers on guns, presumably to save time & limit face to face contact, think this was during the covid pandemic.

15 minutes ago, Keith 66 said:

If i was an FEO & a certificate holder didnt offer me a cuppa I might become suspicous of his motives in wanting me out quicker? It is common courtesy to offer a cuppa, But they dont have to accept!

In the past Essex police asked for photographs of serial numbers on guns, presumably to save time & limit face to face contact, think this was during the covid pandemic.

in my eyes they should not except a cuppa they should get on with the job in hand that way they might get another two visits in that day and maybe catch up on  delayed certificates 

On 09/07/2023 at 19:56, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have heard rumours that Cumbria Police want SGC holders to photograph serial numbers and to email them in.

Strange how we have managed for so long.

In all the years I have held an SGC it has only ever been the Police/Firearms Licensing that have made mistakes.

I also have experience of only Firearms Licensing (Kent) making mistakes. Once got a letter informing me that I had purchased a semi-auto and had failed to notify them within the required 7 days. I politely informed them that I had never owned such a gun and could they please correct their records and confirm an apology. As said, I have never even handled a semi-auto and wouldn’t know how to load and use one. I received a written apology and have it still filed for possible future reference.

Having said that, I must say that apart from this, I’ve always had good service and an excellent rapport with Kent police and the FEOs that I’ve dealt with.

OB

2 hours ago, Keith 66 said:

Make them a mug of tea, but remember to give them a mug that was last washed along with the fish frying pan. That usually speeds them up, and they always remember to decline your hospitality on any future visits.

On 15/07/2023 at 09:31, Old Boggy said:

I also have experience of only Firearms Licensing (Kent) making mistakes. Once got a letter informing me that I had purchased a semi-auto and had failed to notify them within the required 7 days. I politely informed them that I had never owned such a gun and could they please correct their records and confirm an apology. As said, I have never even handled a semi-auto and wouldn’t know how to load and use one. I received a written apology and have it still filed for possible future reference.

Having said that, I must say that apart from this, I’ve always had good service and an excellent rapport with Kent police and the FEOs that I’ve dealt with.

OB

I believe that Kent employ people that have got two arms and legs and that does.  I've had certs that have been returned with no ammunition allocations for held calibres.  Ammunition allocation for calibres that I don't and never have had.  I've had ghost moderators  that I haven't got.  In one instance a cert had to go back three times because of incorrect additions and other basic but serious faults. AND it's not just me.   I've heard this sort of thing from several other sources.   Considering the tightness of certificate conditions where you can fall foul of the law for one .22 cartridge, how Can one inaccuracy on certificates be in any way acceptable.   They just seem to shrugg it off.  Only the other day a retiring feo said that Kent wasn't issuing ANY NEW GRANTS at all because they haven't got the staff available to do the work.!?  How can this be acceptable.   And what do any of the orgs do about it.

Edited by Minky

I was once sent a certificate varied to possess a .375 rifle and .357 ammunition. 
The girl on the phone couldn’t understand what I was complaining about because, “we issue a lot with .357 ammunition.” 
I told her I would be at HQ front desk in half an hour. 
Face to face I was able to point at the mistake and she disappeared into the office and reappeared after ten minutes with a new certificate, signed by the boss and ready to go. That is how fast they should be able to do a variation.

Did I mention she was gorgeous as well?

But they just haven't got a  clue. If we are a mistake like that they'd be down on us like a ton of bricks.  They just make it up as they go along.  Personally no one has checked  my guns ,security or anything for 20 years at least.  Yep they've visited but its just been a quick chat.... no tea and   biscuits.  Just,. is everything the same.?  You've got too many guns,  you're gun nut,! You don't buy enough ammunition...... well. I  reload the ammo.  Hmm.  Look I've  bought thousands of rounds of 22rf.  Right.  OK the cert will come in the post..  Q ..WILL IT BE WRITTEN UP CORRECT OR HOW MANY TIMES WILL I HAVE TO SEND IT BACK....?.. no reply.