Smart meters again ?.

samboy

4 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Scottish power fitted both of mine back in February, the display in house stopped working few weeks ago. They say that there is no longer a network connection on area so the meter not sending readings. Don’t know what will happen when reading due

I got a text on my mobi from my supplier to say that my 2 meters have stopped sending readings so they are sending a firm round to

fix them. The firm rang me up to ask if the meters were accessible or are stepladders needed. I said stepladders are needed.

They replied they will have to get on to my supplier for health and safety reasons. What a carry on.

We had our supplier think it was Eon, pestering us to fit a smart meter for ages, We have a 3 phase supply that at that time the meter had ceased working. Of course the oli filled rad in my garage spent some time ie all winter keeping the workshop toasty warm! Eventually we got an engineer? turns up to fit the new smart meter.

"Oh its 3 phase I cant touch that", So he goes away. Another engineer turns up "Its 3 phase i cant do those",  "We did tell you many times!"

Eventually a proper engineer turns up with a 3 phase meter & changes it, he sez "They dont do 3 phase smart meters".

So why are they trying to get us to have one? I like my 3 phase my machine tools run on it!

On 09/10/2023 at 12:20, Stimo22 said:

Scottish power fitted both of mine back in February, the display in house stopped working few weeks ago. They say that there is no longer a network connection on area so the meter not sending readings. Don’t know what will happen when reading due

Ours never worked since it was fitted , the fitter phoned to tell them he couldn't get a internet connection and we are still waiting on that being fixed a year later we just take readings and send them in 

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

They call me every now and again. I tell them that the gas pipe from the mains to the meter is lead (it is) and the electricity cable from the mains to the meter is lead sheathed (to the best of my little knowledge). At which point they say that they'll leave things as they are.

I can't comment on the gas as I don't know, but the electricity installation has to be the type earthed via the input cable - not the older type with it's own earth spike (I think I have that right).  Certainly all my earths (from the distribution boards) collect at the meter and are connected to the 'outer' of the incoming co-axial type cable.

Old systems with separate live and neutral incoming cables used an earth spike.

22 hours ago, Pushkin said:

Old Man, Try e-mailing them on their complaints/contact us email address.  I hope you have better luck in getting a response:good: Pushkin

Thanks Pushkin I think that was what my wife tried.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Well that’s two of us making a stand then.

Three and counting.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Exactly and the only way that will happen is because the majority have already volunteered to already do so. Which is why I don't.

Not sure, this new religion has many zealots in positions of power. They've even managed to use Einstein's likeness to push 'smart' meters, stating they could save you money, something he would have known to be false.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I can't comment on the gas as I don't know, but the electricity installation has to be the type earthed via the input cable - not the older type with it's own earth spike (I think I have that right).  Certainly all my earths (from the distribution boards) collect at the meter and are connected to the 'outer' of the incoming co-axial type cable.

Old systems with separate live and neutral incoming cables used an earth spike.

I have smart meters on both gas and electric and have an earth spike in my back yard.

Just now, Luckyshot said:

I have smart meters on both gas and electric and have an earth spike in my back yard.

OK, I have the current system of all earth cables gathered and connected to the incoming power cable (where it leaves the ground.  They woudn't fit a smart meter to a neighbour who had a separate earth system until it was updated, but maybe it depends on the type of cable you have?  Mine is now underground, butb the previous overhead cables did need an earth spike.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

OK, I have the current system of all earth cables gathered and connected to the incoming power cable (where it leaves the ground.  They woudn't fit a smart meter to a neighbour who had a separate earth system until it was updated, but maybe it depends on the type of cable you have?  Mine is now underground, butb the previous overhead cables did need an earth spike.

Mine are overhead on a 1930's bungalow.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Maybe it is different on overhead?  We were moved to underground some years ago.  I think the system we have is called TN-C-S

TN-C-S just means the earth and neutral are combined within the service cable ( it's one neutral core which is linked out to your earth terminal on the service cutout ) and separate within your property

TN-S separate earth and neutral outside and inside the property

20 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Not sure, this new religion has many zealots in positions of power. They've even managed to use Einstein's likeness to push 'smart' meters, stating they could save you money, something he would have known to be false.

The sheeple continue to run into the abattoir ramp?

Very strange the use of Einstein to push this carp, I would imagine he would have seen through the idiocy pretty quickly?