Folding 410 chamber size

captainhastings

you could try sliding a stick in until you feel the chamber shoulder or failing that make a chamber cast ,block barrel above end of chamber ,grease chamber with butter margarine etc then fill with silicon to breach end of chamber,tap out with cleaning rod from muzzle end when set .Then measure.

probably best avoid anything but 2 1/2. before your certain.

Do you have a hammer available.? 🤣.  Now don't be silly... if it's OLD it will be short 2.1/2.  Accept it.  It's a fiat panda, it isn't a Masserati. It will do what it was designed for, and that ain't having 3" magnums rammed through it.  If you somehow fire 3" carts through it, the gun may blow up and maybe kill you.

Ps. if it is old then it may well be proofed for black powder and even shooting modern smokeless 2.1/2 through it may overload it.  410s are a high pressure load. A 410 is a lethal weapon

I have seen old folding fourtens in all three chamber lengths,, 2”, 2 1/2” and 3”. 
Not all folders are old. 
The three inch can date back to 1930 I believe. 
If it’s Belgian (most likely) look for a P.V. stamp for Nitro Proof. Most of the really old ones don’t have this and were proofed for Black, but have been happily firing nitro for 120 years. 
It could be a relatively modern Spanish gun.

Edited by London Best

A couple of tips;

1. To measure chamber length, a 12 mm drill is close to 0.410 chamber diameter.  Very carefully (fingers only) slide the drill into the chamber - and measure how far in it goes to gain an idea of the chamber length.
  2. Here are the Belgian proof marks.

74074474-47CA-4312-A528-A47CA9A3024C_1_102_o.jpeg

Thank you everyone for the super info as all ways. I couldn’t see nothing on it with my glasses but found the kids old microscope and all was revealed.

nitro proofed and two and half.

I have a bag of random carts given to me look like may home loads. Typically there are lots of 3 inch and what looks like 2 3/4 which is shame as I got 100 or so 

IMG_0071.jpeg

3 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Thank you everyone for the super info as all ways. I couldn’t see nothing on it with my glasses but found the kids old microscope and all was revealed.

nitro proofed and two and half.

I have a bag of random carts given to me look like may home loads. Typically there are lots of 3 inch and what looks like 2 3/4 which is shame as I got 100 or so 

IMG_0071.jpeg

Not aware that they made a 2.3/4 410 cartridge. 
however that’s not too say that some are home loads 

remember just because they came with the gun dosent mean that they are suitable for it 

just a thought 

of 

Oh go on get your trusty club hammer out.  You know that you want to.  Do you FEEL LUCKY,..WELL DO YOU?  Failing that take the crypto currency of your choice and Buy a box of fourteen shorts.  You may feel pleasantly refreshed.

Edit.  My late brother in law gave me one which reputedly dates back to the 1920s. And  collected loads of pheasants back when.

Edited by Minky

25 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Not bloody clue :) I do like it light easy to carry when walking dog. If I can hit anything remains to be seen 

You will be surprised what a well placed .410 shot will do.I used one to good effect on the rabbits for a golf course that was having problems with the numbers of them digging up the greens.

I've had three of those, all Belgian folders, non of the parts interchangeable. One was 2" and two where 2 1/2" but a 3" dropped in no problem. Firing a 3" melted the forward end of the cartridge and need pliers to remove it.

The most expensive gun was £10. 

Bit of a fun gun and a talking point if used at a clay ground.