Shed recommendations

ehb102

It's time to get a new shed here. Oh, wise Pigeon Watch shed dwellers, what should our shed be made of? Traditional wood? Modern metal? What would be the most effective choice for keeping out rodents and not requiring attention from its owners? Would a 10'x8' Yardmaster be the bargain it looks? Or will a metal shed just bake everything inside? Are plastic sheds insecure? Will traditional wood outlast all alternatives? 

I await your helpful wisdom. Thank you in advance.

Metal will be dripping wet. Plastic will be warm cozy. I would forget brands and look at specification in detail. The last two I bought here in Somerset were made in Dudley. Transported and erected here for less than I can buy locally. 

One thing I am not so keen on is the gaps between eves and roof. It may be good for ventilation but here it let's in criters. 

My neighbour gave me his huge yardmaster.

He had had it 10 years and I have had it two.

It replaced an 8'×6' wooden shed that I had had for 20 years, had rotted and rats had taken up residence.

The yardmaster is bolted to a ratproof concrete base and, despite its flimsy appearance, still looks brand new.

It has swallowed up everything that I had previously kept in two sheds and the garage.

It has the advantage of 3 fully usable walls as there are no windows in the walls, all the lighting coming from the roof.

I'm happy with it.

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Madam, if you don't leave anything for the rodents to eat or nest in they will not be much of a problem.

Good Sir, That is what I thought. But apparently my shed has become party central for rats who are heading in to feast on stolen eggs and gathered seeds in peace. Admittedly it was a fairly rotten structure anyway. 

So far the recommendations look to be decent wood and a terrier. 👍 

6 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Given they are local to me and provide a full service I'm following them up, thank you. I'd really like one of those ratproof concrete bases. 

Hello, what do they class as a rat proof base ? Rats will chew through just about anything for food, I'm refurbing a old barn where the rats tunneled underneath the solid walls, no foundations, 2 ft deep 🤔, I've fill all the inside holes with concrete and laid a rat proof wire mesh out side, there not likely to dig under a shed base but you could nail some mesh to the underside floor and raise off the base with 6 inch rafters, 

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what do they class as a rat proof base ? Rats will chew through just about anything for food, I'm refurbing a old barn where the rats tunneled underneath the solid walls, no foundations, 2 ft deep 🤔, I've fill all the inside holes with concrete and laid a rat proof wire mesh out side, there not likely to dig under a shed base but you could nail some mesh to the underside floor and raise off the base with 6 inch rafters, 

Concrete slab I think. 

2 hours ago, Ratlegs said:

My son reckons if we had an aircraft hangar, we would still clutter it up

100%

I've been looking at sheds, and some of the prices are eye watering, even if they do look really nice. Its only really for bikes, and a few other things, because the 20 odd foot garage is full 😅😅