Range rovers and insurance

team tractor

My partner told me she’s read the insurance companies are refusing range rovers in London due to theft .

Well this month  has seen 2 range rovers in Tamworth stolen that I know of and then my mates renewal came through. 
get ready for a shocker .

He’s in his 40s with max no claims . 
It is the svr 5lt 

You’ve read it right . That’s per month 66B05349-4458-4F37-8A50-4EABD1ED3486.jpeg.8b7079a12c2608fdd0b49ed41050d8d0.jpeg

Wow 😯 I’m in that area every night of the week (only just off the motorways at j10) but always seems really sleepy and no one really around. That monthly premium would cover my motor for two years! Obviously the SVR is in a different league but still shocking. 

Edited by Spr1985

10 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Wow 😯 I’m in that area every night of the week (only just off the motorways at j10) but always seems really sleepy and no one really around. That monthly premium would cover my motor for two years! Obviously the SVR is in a different league but still shocking. 

It’s nationwide from what I’m understanding now . Trust me this area is as safe as any 👍

11 hours ago, amateur said:

I believe that they don't want his business. 🤣

Cheapest he’s found is £3000 this year 😮

All motor insurance has risen, but there are (I was told by my insurance when I 'moaned' at the last renewal) various reasons;

1. Motor insurance overall has risen due to increased repair costs and increased (trade/2nd hand) vehicle values.  Part of the repair costs relate to electric vehicles being much more likely to be 'write off' due to the risks to the battery.
  2. Certain vehicles (including some LandRover products) are higher risk because security is poor (especially older cars and 'keyless' versions) and they are more likely to be stolen (and rapidly crated and exported) than more mundane vehicles.  I was recommended to use a visible third party security device (I use a Disklok) on my Defender.

Edit: Some comment on EV repairs here;  https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/scratched-ev-battery-your-insurer-may-have-junk-whole-car-2023-03-20/

Edited by JohnfromUK

19 hours ago, team tractor said:

My partner told me she’s read the insurance companies are refusing range rovers in London due to theft .

Well this month  has seen 2 range rovers in Tamworth stolen that I know of and then my mates renewal came through. 
get ready for a shocker .

He’s in his 40s with max no claims . 
It is the svr 5lt 

You’ve read it right . That’s per month 66B05349-4458-4F37-8A50-4EABD1ED3486.jpeg.8b7079a12c2608fdd0b49ed41050d8d0.jpeg

think they are trying it on, or they don't want the business….https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/landrover

5 hours ago, old'un said:

think they are trying it on, or they don't want the business….https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/landrover

96A1EE0E-6C76-46EC-A9A8-1230F5287D54.jpeg.e8240b1a8ec2334cd82f87100dc214ee.jpegA8058145-865F-4075-B36D-34A2640189A7.png.b2d456a306a83849c6c701a2950d95e3.png

5 hours ago, old'un said:

I’ve spoken to a few owners and they all seem to have a massive hike 

I don’t live in London, about 50 miles away, I sold my Range Rover sport due to insurance hikes, I was told a lot of insurance companies do not want to insure them hence the ridiculous prices you get quoted, a lot of this is Landrovers fault by making these vehicles to easy to steal. 

On 24/08/2023 at 18:42, harrycatcat1 said:

What is an "unnecessary Range Rover " ? I thought that you meant that you wanted one. Just curious 🤔 

Just another Chelsea Tractor, all those that are never used off road, for any country pursuits and are difficult to park.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just another Chelsea Tractor, all those that are never used off road, for any country pursuits and are difficult to park.

I thought that you were going to say that 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 are you one if those nutters that are letting 4x4's tyres down?

Why are you so judgemental 🤔

Contrast that with my X reg cat C Shogun Pinin, no modifications, insured value £2400, 34K proven mileage history, 11 years NCD, my age 71, 4000 miles per annum, private estate city location next to a council estate with a fairly high crime rate, wife named driver ...

A mere £172 for 12 months. That's with More than insurance, but I received a note yesterday they are pulling out of motor insurance in September.

Edited by Dave-G

11 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

They are more than capable off road of someone wants to, but let's be fair JLR have for the past 10 years moved to luxury road SUV users.

I haven't owned a Range Rover, but my late father did - and I have been a passenger in and driven many others from the original 2 door to the TD V8.  They are very capable - but often let down by the tyres ......... and the sheer size.  The recent ones are just so big - that in itself limits any off road usefulness for me - and a real pain around town and smaller country roads.

I still have my Defender for my off road and shooting activities, and a normal estate car for on road and general 'travel'. 

I have tried - but for me a big 'luxury' 4 x 4 - whilst great for long motorway journeys with a bit of off road in open country - is too big and cumbersome as an 'everyday' only vehicle - as it is so inconvenient to park, use in narrow lanes and tracks.  There is also the 'costs' factor - where everything - fuel, tyres, insurance, spares, are BIG costs.

Having my old defender and an 'estate car' I reckon works out cheaper and more convenient - and does give a 'spare' for when something goes wrong!

11 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I thought that you were going to say that 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 are you one if those nutters that are letting 4x4's tyres down?

Why are you so judgemental 🤔

I cannot understand the need for such vehicles in towns and cities. I accept they have their uses, but most of the time it is just being driven in an attempt to show who is superior.