Ring door camera Wi-Fi jammer

old'un

The first I have heard of this but someone we know recently had their house broken into, they have a Ring door bell camera, apparently the Wi-Fi was jammed for 20 minutes so the camera did not record any video, these jamming devices are being sold on eBay for around £10, unbelievable.

We also have a door bell camera but the wife has a camera in the spare bedroom as well covering the front  door she swings it round to cover the room when she put one of the grandchildren in there to sleep ,and i also have never heard of a jammer but they can can get in anywhere if they want 

11 hours ago, Bigbob said:

We also have a door bell camera and i also have never heard of a jammer but they can can get in anywhere if they want 

True, if they really want to brake into someone's house there is little that will stop them but the police do have an extensive collection of pictures and DNA of repeat criminals, the hope is that your camera will capture these repeat criminals in the act, or even a more serious crime.

Once these criminals know they can jam the Wi-Fi with a cheap £10 box from eBay your Wi-Fi camera becomes a useless plastic/metal box, you might as-well not have one.

Jammers..https://www.smarthomepoint.com/jamming-ring-doorbell/

I am glad we got it , best thing is its all connected to the wifes phone so if there's a noise somebody at the door its her that's got to stop what she's doing and check her phone they maybe a visual deterrent but if they can break into banks a small camera isnt going to be a deterrent for them like anything a few months after they come into use the thieves will have found a way round them 

11 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

And that’s the thing.

Best you can is deter them, if your house has a doorbell camera or alarm box and next door doesn’t they will mostly go for the easiest target

:shaun:

Thats it deter them from breaking into your house and hope they go looking for a easier target 

4 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Hard wired via a network cable would resolve that if the door bell has a port ! you could also have Poe ( power over Ethernet ) 

This; I've got a Reolink PoE model, <£100 and no subscription.  Of course, it's still vulnerable to physical attack but it will send footage to the NVR (recorder) up to the point it gets disconnected.

If it's your 'forever' home, run hardwired security cameras, either old-skool coax if you must, or PoE.  Keeps your WiFi less 'congested' too, and no changing batteries.

I deter burglars by maintaining the appearance I have nothing worth stealing! 

Seriously though, I have some Blink cameras that ping my phone when they detect movement, they go out quite a distance.

I don't know how close you'd need to get to jam the wifi but hopefully they'd alert before they managed it.

How do these things even work? I live in a small terrace and I can detect everyone's wifi with pretty much equal strength, do they just jam everyone's?

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

I deter burglars by maintaining the appearance I have nothing worth stealing! 

Seriously though, I have some Blink cameras that ping my phone when they detect movement, they go out quite a distance.

I don't know how close you'd need to get to jam the wifi but hopefully they'd alert before they managed it.

How do these things even work? I live in a small terrace and I can detect everyone's wifi with pretty much equal strength, do they just jam everyone's?

yep...https://www.smarthomepoint.com/jamming-ring-doorbell/

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This; I've got a Reolink PoE model, <£100 and no subscription.  Of course, it's still vulnerable to physical attack but it will send footage to the NVR (recorder) up to the point it gets disconnected.

If it's your 'forever' home, run hardwired security cameras, either old-skool coax if you must, or PoE.  Keeps your WiFi less 'congested' too, and no changing batteries.

:good:

I have a couple of Reolink cameras and have been impressed with them, they are both Wi-Fi but they record video to an SD card, which I can download or view remotely, so even if the Wi-Fi is jammed it still records, they are also placed so you would need a ladder to access them.

As you say the best setup is PoE to NVR.

for the price and on going monthly charge for the Ring door bell cameras, its a bit of a bad show really that they can be jammed so easily.

Similar with my van

i I had an Audi taken 10 years ago the replacement was required to have a tracker fitted - again this could be easily beaten with a signal blocking device

my current van has a £35 tracker under the seat with a  sim fitted 

I just text it and it lets me know wher it is !

Agriv8

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Similar with my van

i I had an Audi taken 10 years ago the replacement was required to have a tracker fitted - again this could be easily beaten with a signal blocking device

my current van has a £35 tracker under the seat with a  sim fitted 

I just text it and it lets me know wher it is !

Agriv8

I had to get a tracker fitted for my Range Rover the tracker cost me £45 them i had to pay the company a £100 to set it up for a year  , this year my renewal says its no longer required

On 19/10/2023 at 07:57, Centrepin said:

Even if you have them on camera and hand the footage to the police, you need to take it or send it as they'll not come out, all you'll get is they don't know them so no investigation just have a crime number. 

The Police are just triage for the insurance industry in more instances than not. The will to investigate and prosecute is simply not there.

Edited by Penelope

as mentioned above, the good jammers can knock out a decent size area, we live in a cul-de sac which was hit a while ago with all wi-fi knocked out at midnight and a neighbours keyless jag being stolen, a hardwired cctv system picked visitors up during previous early hours actually pulling up at the end of several driveways and photographing various vehicles, nothing safe i'm afraid.

My son bought us a Ring doorbell camera and I set it up on the pedestrian gatepost within reach of the wi-fi, it serves to warn of vehicles up and down the private  track or attempted deliveries but I would not rely on the vagaries of the broadband out here in the backwoods. With that in mind for several years we've had x number of wired cameras linked to x number of DV recorders around that cover what we have here.