Is this Government real?

smokingdragon

Totally ignoring the fact that the use of food banks is growing, many people who can't afford to heat their homes properly and what is their solution? 

CutBBC News - Cap on bankers' bonuses to be scrapped. ***? 

BBC News - Cap on bankers' bonuses to be scrapped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67206997

I can understand the resentment this news will create with many, especially with unions and labour supporters, but this won’t make one iota of difference to my lifestyle or income. 
Labour soundbites and proposed policies when out of office are often built around the general publics resentment and jealousy of wealth envy and perceived entitlement, but what they seem to forget is that their current leader is a Knight of the Realm, and a very wealthy one at that. 
Something else which doesn’t occur to them is that you could take all of Starmers wealth from him, and that of Sunaks, and the Royal Families too for good measure, and it wouldn’t improve their lot in life one way or another. 

1 hour ago, smokingdragon said:

Totally ignoring the fact that the use of food banks is growing, many people who can't afford to heat their homes properly and what is their solution? 

I take it you are not a banker then @smokingdragon?
Have you ever thought of being a banker ?
Do you know what these 'bankers' actually do ?

Do you have your own company ?
Are you a Limited Company Director ?
Do you have responsibility for many others ?
For example if you screwed up at work and made bad decisions would there then be serveral families that couldn't pay their mortgages or credit cards off next month ?
Would you accept responsibility for generating revenue so that (say) 25 people could pay monthly bills and if you didn't bring in (25 x £25000 + profit) say £800,000, this year and every year, would you make them redundant ?
Who derides how much you get paid and do you think you don't get enough for what you do ?

£800k a year? These guys probably make that in a week.

Until things start getting tough, no risk no reward right? Keep pushing for that un- capped bonus, more risk,  keep pushing, excessive risk; boom! its all gone to ****e...  Govt bail it out again.. Same winners, same losers. Start again.

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

What I findly mildly funny is how this jealousy is directed by politicians and the BBC, what about the money paid to footballers? Isn't this wrong? Many of them are paid vast sums even compared to people in the city, who I agree are overpaid.

David.

The thing is, people choose to pay footballers by following a team. You get absolutely no choice but to pay bankers and politicians, they just take as much as they can for as long as they can. 

38 minutes ago, Sempers said:

Until things start getting tough, no risk no reward right? Keep pushing for that un- capped bonus, more risk,  keep pushing, excessive risk; boom! its all gone to ****e...  Govt bail it out again.. Same winners, same losers. Start again.

Exactly.

Or as I was taught a long long tome ago at the very top and at the very bottom the choices and the decisions are easy.

The people in the middle are the ones who do all the work, all the effort, take all the risk. Make it or break it.

The example I was always given:

Winston Churchill to Lieutenant General Montgomery at El Alamein "Drive those wicked Germans out of North Africa."

Lance Corporal Smith to the men in his section at El Alamein "Fix bayonets. Charge!"

Edited by enfieldspares

FWIW my Son-in-Law works in "The City" & yes he receives an obscene amount of reward, but last year made in excess of £350 million profit for his Company, does he deserve a bonus yes he does. Perhaps to give a little insight to those who criticise/berate the people at the top, their life is not their own my SiL has 3 work phones & they are on 24/7,he had to fly back recently from a holiday to respond to a situation that had arisen (he flew back out 48 hours later) & on many occasions Family gatherings are interrupted as he has to apologise & disappear back to London (we live split between Cheshire/N.Wales). At 32 he is now looking to get out as the constant stress/pressure is starting to show (rarely are the people in his position over 40), he looks older than he is. Do I envy him, certainly not & would/could I do it certainly not (that is coming from someone who has built a manufacturing business up to employ 40 people & carry on a Family tradition that started in 1849).

Now my Daughter who is a quite high ranking Civil Servant, that is where the Countries money is leaching away, six figure salary/final salary pension at 55 & this year due to "time off in lieu" 8 weeks paid holiday (even though during Summer recess its effectively a 3 day week)

41 minutes ago, Sawyet said:

Now my Daughter who is a quite high ranking Civil Servant, that is where the Countries money is leaching away, six figure salary/final salary pension at 55 & this year due to "time off in lieu" 8 weeks paid holiday (even though during Summer recess its effectively a 3 day week)

Very true especially when combined with the rampant left wing bias "if they don't want it It does not happen"

13 hours ago, smokingdragon said:

BBC News - Cap on bankers' bonuses to be scrapped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67206997

Think of the income tax they'll pay.

The more high earners the better, I say.

I think the issue that really sticks with people on this is the fact that not too long ago the government asked us all to practise restraint in not asking for pay rises to help stem the rising inflation. This request was aimed at all from those working cleaning toilets and having to chose between heating and eating and those top earners including bankers. 

It seems to a lot of people that yet again, those at the bottom are forced to suffer while those at the top take the lions share. 

Trickle down economics doesn't work when the little that does actually trickle down is taken back in taxes and inflation. 

14 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Think of the income tax they'll pay.

The more high earners the better, I say.

Why can that not apply wholesale? Surely millions of people earning a medium percentage more and paying more income tax as a result is far better than very few earning a lot more (while also likely having access to mechanisms to offshore or otherwise avoid income tax). 

As I just mentioned, not long ago we were all asked to practise restraint and not demand pay rises to help stem inflation. Why are bankers then being given a free pass to up their earnings in addition to the increased base wages they will have been awarded during the cap? 

Dont forget if a "banker" or even a civil servant are earning over £100K they are getting taxed at higher rate on most of their earnings and the more they earn (salary or bonus) the more they contribute. So I say if someone is getting paid a £300K bonus for earning the company £350m profit then I'd be happy to have the extra tax income from the individual and (where its not being loopholed) the Corporation Tax on the £350m. In the meantime removing the cap allows the "best" people to work in UK rather than overseas.

I have always supported the ideology that all of us have a different combination of skills, experience, motivation and opportunity and I have had to go out on a limb to get a job that paid well but I really didnt like it so I left and set up my own company - but I was working stupid hours and literally had no time to do anything. I would sleep for the first week of any holiday. I was just like a zombie.

So whilst I appreciate a lot of people might think you need to go to a posh school to be a trader I personally have seen some of the best traders that have come from an underpriviliged background, but like someone else said, the stress and responsibility isnt for everyone and when I asked one of my mates why he wants to leave a job with no stress that pays well to be a gardener, he just says he can't be bothered with all the corporate BS. So if you want to be a trader and earn millions then go do it.