African trophy ban.

owain

If you want to brief yourself properly on this issue, first stop will be the twitter (x) feed of Professors Amy Dickman and Adam Hart. These are non-shooting conservationists and represent the views of the SADC countries (and others). The book "Trophy Hunting" by Bichel and Hart which came out earlier this year is a fascinating read but it is a bit pricey for the casual reader.

44 minutes ago, discobob said:

I might be meeting up with a certain Welsh Naturalist - appears on some tely stuff. I have quite a few points to discuss with him....From Net Zero/Climate Change through to trophy bans (now I have seen this).

I bet I won't be invited again if it does happen

Oh, that muppet.

1 hour ago, Manish said:

It wasnt just stuff from Africa they were going to ban it was anything not taken in the UK. Eg if you went to spain partridge shooting and bought yourself back a feather you would be breaking the law

Are they seeking a total ban on imports of meat and other animal products?

Or is it considered OK to import a carcase if people want to eat it, but not if they want to look at it?

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Personally I feel that anything I don't do should be banned. Be it CB Radio, wearing lycra whilst riding bicycles, Starbuck's, Costa Coffee, Coffee Republic, Halloween "trick or treat" and yes Lumley and Goldsmith also and etc., etc.. The world would be a better place.

🙂 Nah, you’re just old! 😀

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Personally I feel that anything I don't do should be banned. Be it CB Radio, wearing lycra whilst riding bicycles, Starbuck's, Costa Coffee, Coffee Republic, Halloween "trick or treat" and yes Lumley and Goldsmith also and etc., etc.. The world would be a better place.

I will certainly vote for a ban on men wearing Lycra!

Nothing in the King's Speech today regarding a fresh bill. This is a huge issue, setting landscape level conservation against animal rights activism in the first world. The point is that there are huge areas of Africa which are not suited to photo tourism. Hunters will pay much more per head to visit sparse barren places, and hunting revenues help local economies, and persuade local people to put up with living and farming next door to big dangerous animals. It's all a bit counter-intuitive for many well-meaning folk.                   We have all seen that "goodbye old friend" advert about elephants, which is very touching. However what elephants need more than protection is space - and space where they are not in conflict with humans for food and water. It is essentially the same for a raft of other species.

39 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Nothing in the King's Speech today regarding a fresh bill. This is a huge issue, setting landscape level conservation against animal rights activism in the first world. The point is that there are huge areas of Africa which are not suited to photo tourism. Hunters will pay much more per head to visit sparse barren places, and hunting revenues help local economies, and persuade local people to put up with living and farming next door to big dangerous animals. It's all a bit counter-intuitive for many well-meaning folk.                   We have all seen that "goodbye old friend" advert about elephants, which is very touching. However what elephants need more than protection is space - and space where they are not in conflict with humans for food and water. It is essentially the same for a raft of other species.

Also the reduction in poaching, as the locals get given the majority of the meat.

20 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Are they seeking a total ban on imports of meat and other animal products?

Or is it considered OK to import a carcase if people want to eat it, but not if they want to look at it?

That's sounds about right mate

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Only if its a sustainably sourced crocodile, and you travelled there with a net zero footprint.

Couldnt live with myself otherwise 

🤣 I only go to support farmers. With this trophy ban me going is a bit like direct gift aid. 🤣

You should come and help out. 

Edited by oowee