shotgun chopped

noxop666

Personally I’d ask at a dealers first if they can use it for spares or whatever, then if they don’t want it or can’t scrap it then it’s the cop shop.,

Be aware it may go towards the tally of HO statistics for surrendered firearms, making it falsely appear there are a lot of illegally owned firearms out there. 

18 hours ago, noxop666 said:

has anyone had any dealings having a shotgun destroyed at a gun dealers  and any idea of cost

We as RFD/gunsmiths  scrapped dozens of guns for people , we never charged anyone .Stripped anything good useful off , stocks burnt well on the fire and the rest was broken up went into the scrap bin .

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Stocks burnt well on the fire...

LOL! I remember Phil Duffill when he was working from Price Street telling me how they used to break up old guncases and burn them to keep warm as where he then worked the fire wasn't allowed to be lit (so no fuel was provided) until 1 December or somesuch? He saved the labels where he could but the wood of the case was burned.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, THEINVISIBLESCARECROW said:

I'd never hand to the police, offer it for free to a cert holder or just give to an rfd  they will scrap or give to a gunsmith. Do you think the police or should I say gun hating government will use the legal guns in an anti gun propaganda media frenzy ? 

A dealer will refuse to take unless you pay them .

• 3 weeks later...

My point of view.

As a gunmaker/gunsmith/RFD you want me to take your unwanted gun off you so it is no longer your responsibility. What do I do with it? Is it saleable? No, otherwise you would have asked me to sell it on commission so you could get some money out of it. Now what do I have to do with this gun? Scrap it. So in scrapping it I have to cut it up into sections required by law and take pictures to prove to the local FEO that it is now no longer a firearm. This takes up time that I am not being paid for. You think you are doing me a favour in giving me a gun for spares. It doesn't work like that. You are giving me work that I am not going to be paid for so yes I do charge to take your gun off you for scrapping. My local police (Wilts and TVP) won't take them off you as they will have to pay to get them scrapped too. 

On 20/11/2023 at 21:27, alic said:

My FEO said to take them to RFD as Police may not have right facilities!!. A west London RFD charged me £30 a gun. 

This

5 hours ago, Fil said:

My point of view.

As a gunmaker/gunsmith/RFD you want me to take your unwanted gun off you so it is no longer your responsibility. What do I do with it? Is it saleable? No, otherwise you would have asked me to sell it on commission so you could get some money out of it. Now what do I have to do with this gun? Scrap it. So in scrapping it I have to cut it up into sections required by law and take pictures to prove to the local FEO that it is now no longer a firearm. This takes up time that I am not being paid for. You think you are doing me a favour in giving me a gun for spares. It doesn't work like that. You are giving me work that I am not going to be paid for so yes I do charge to take your gun off you for scrapping. My local police (Wilts and TVP) won't take them off you as they will have to pay to get them scrapped too. 

This

Quite right too!

16 hours ago, Fil said:

My point of view.

This

Same as my mate he is an RFD the police wants him to cut up allsorts of firearms got to cut them into measured lengths take photos which will take his up his time and they don't want to pay him he said stuff it