Mr Bates v The Post Office

armsid

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the series in questions, but I do remember back in the day occasionally reading about it, especially when I used to read the IT press.  I had zero idea of the scale of the convictions, though.  Jebus.

Who in their right mind thought an organisation such as the PO should have the power to prosecute criminal cases involving theft from itself?  Frankly such powers need removing from the RSPCA, but that's a different topic. 

Perhaps all prosecutions outwith the CPS should be audited immediately following a decision to charge, but prior to the first court date, by a senior CPS barrister.

21 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I've just had a walk to my daughters and hers is on the front page too 🤔

I will keep trying, foxes me when even a search won't find it.

When trying to get ITV player working for someone, I too had issues with programmes showing up on one device but not the other.  Had to run numerous updates and power-cycles before the issue was resolved.

I've watched the series on this, and have just watched the summing up episode,

Mr Bates Vs the Post Office, The Real Story.

I'm lost for words re the disgusting misjustice, bullying and false accusations against these people !!! I truly feel sorry for them and appalled at the way they were/are being treated by the PO and Fujitsu.

9 of them were on BBC Breakfast this morning,,,, that was a tough watch and an eye opener too !

Now comes the nitty gritty sorting out of every single case, which apparently is now circa 3500 !!!

Hopefully some heads are going to roll, but if not, some should be massively fined, disgraced or even imprisoned.

This is going to go on for a long time yet methinks 🤬

Look up on Google

Gary Thomas Post Office

VERY revealing. Paid a bonus for every postmaster he convicted and the evidence from his emails suggests he wasn't too fussy how he went about it.

Also it now turns out the CPS did prosecute post masters during Starmer's time at its head.

The plot gets deeper now

Edited by Vince Green

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

CPS did prosecute post masters during Starmer's time at its head.

Interesting that Wes Streeting when interviewed on Radio 4 this morning initially stated that no prosecutions were brought by the CPS. 

Then picked up by the interviewer who said that 12 were prosecuted by the CPS, he then said none were in Starmer's time there. 

Then when told that at least 3 of the 12 were whilst Kier Starmer was head of the CPS, he said that neither he nor Starmer knew anything about them.

I suspect a number of things that have been buried are surfacing.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Interesting that Wes Streeting when interviewed on Radio 4 this morning initially stated that no prosecutions were brought by the CPS. 

Then picked up by the interviewer who said that 12 were prosecuted by the CPS, he then said none were in Starmer's time there. 

Then when told that at least 3 of the 12 were whilst Kier Starmer was head of the CPS, he said that neither he nor Starmer knew anything about them.

I suspect a number of things that have been buried are surfacing.

Wes Streeting - HORRIBLE little man.

Far too many politicians of all colours tainted by the Post Office Scandal.

Hopefully if nothing else, they may reflect on what they either did or didn't do.

Strange how many of them are using the "I didn't know about it" stance as a defence.

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Wes Streeting - HORRIBLE little man.

Far too many politicians of all colours tainted by the Post Office Scandal.

Hopefully if nothing else, they may reflect on what they either did or didn't do.

Strange how many of them are using the "I didn't know about it" stance as a defence.

Ed Davey has denied every thing with the words, THY LIED TO ME! I think its time for a lot of people to put there hands up and GO.

35 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It seems that those that say this, and that "I cannot recall/remember" etc are using these to 'hide behind', because, correct me if I'm wrong, the onus is then on others to prove that they did ? There's a lot of twitchy bums with those directly involved in these 'wrongdoings' , I suspect 🤔

53 minutes ago, JKD said:

It seems that those that say this, and that "I cannot recall/remember" etc are using these to 'hide behind', because, correct me if I'm wrong, the onus is then on others to prove that they did ? There's a lot of twitchy bums with those directly involved in these 'wrongdoings' , I suspect 🤔

"I don't recall" is like saying "no comment" it's an admission of guilt.

I honestly hope there are a lot of people who aren't sleeping that well anymore.

All I keep seeing and hearing on any news bulletin is "I know nothing about this that and the other". The problem is going to be proving the things these 'people' are denying the knowledge of 🤬 My wee is boiling !!!!!!!

With what is surfacing now how many other scandals involving self regulating bodies will come to light exposing the hierarchy denying any wrong doing and people being wrongly accused/ jailed this could be the tip of a very big iceberg 

From the AOL site;

A Post Office legal representative has said he understands the “profound mistrust in many quarters” following a litany of disclosure failings throughout the Horizon IT inquiry.

A further disclosure setback in November, in which around 363,000 emails were found on a “legacy” mailing system, resulted in witnesses being delayed.

In his witness statement submitted to the probe ahead of giving evidence on Friday, Chris Jackson, a partner at the law firm Burges Salmon, said the Post Office sent its apologies for the most recent delay.

In November, Jason Beer KC said the latest disclosure failing added to a long list of further failings which are “etched” in the minds of the inquiry’s counsel.

Before the latest disclosure failings, the inquiry had been delayed by hard copy documents being found in new Post Office locations and the misuse of search terms in the disclosure exercise.

Another failing which previously delayed the probe was an improper “de-duplication” exercise – meaning relevant emails were not disclosed to the probe.

Other failings have included a failure to consider “families” of documents, not disclosing the names of those blind copied into emails, and the failure to disclose documents held on back-up tapes.

Addressing the disclosure issues in his statement, Mr Jackson said: “The current situation is not one that anyone would wish to see continue.

“Post Office has asked me to convey its apologies for the current situation and to assure the inquiry and other core participants that it is a Post Office priority to get to a position where hearings (and planning and preparation for hearings) can take place from a stable basis with the risks of further emerging data source issues is minimised and managed so far as is practicable.”

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

Was thinking about this if post masters paid back the money that wasn't actually missing where did it go 🤔 

Into the Post Office suspense account, and ultimately written back to the Post Office Profit & Loss account

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

Was thinking about this if post masters paid back the money that wasn't actually missing where did it go 🤔 

Was going to ask the same. So, as has previously been mentioned, the 'missing' monies from the faulty system went into the PO profit figures, these 'paid back' monies the same,,,, surely the PO accounts dept would have noticed these discrepancies ?