Police visit

I received a telephone call yesterday from a firearms officer at south Wales police. He asked if it would okay to arrange a visit to 'inspect my security conditions'. I asked him if this is a new practice that south Wales police are carrying out, and he replied that this was not the case, but 'they' are just catching up on everything due to the backlog caused by Covid. I explained that my security conditions were inspected during my last co terminous renewal (2020) and that everytning was okay. But, he still wanted to arrange a visit (Friday 2nd Feb') jsut to check.

I have absolutely nothing to hide, my security conditions are excellent, and my house has an alarm fitted. I could have refused his request, but then what would have happened?

I have emailed BASC regarding this, and have asked for a reply.

Has anyone else had such a visit?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

can't understand why they want to inspect you again 4 years down the line from the last time when they'll be back in 12 months anyway for your renewal.

This is what I pointed out to the firearms officer when he phoned. I am wondering if it's to do with the fact that in the past 24 months, I have purchased 4 firearms (shotguns and rifles) but one of the shotguns purchased is due to be scrapped, and a different one is up for sale. 

Could be crime in the area . But suspect they will have a quota to drop in on ! 

my visits have always been no bother even discovering a mosberg bolt action that should have been section 1 ( bought by my dad brand new 65 years ago ) and that had been in my ticket for 15 years ( and 3 renewals ) was discovered worked out a way to sort and get it back as a section 1 didn’t want to see it scrapped as it’s the first shotgun i ever pulled a the trigger !

could be your purchase’s that have triggered a visit !

let us know how you get on Agriv8

3 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Could be crime in the area . But suspect they will have a quota to drop in on ! 

my visits have always been no bother even discovering a mosberg bolt action that should have been section 1 ( bought by my dad brand new 65 years ago ) and that had been in my ticket for 15 years ( and 3 renewals ) was discovered worked out a way to sort and get it back as a section 1 didn’t want to see it scrapped as it’s the first shotgun i ever pulled a the trigger !

could be your purchase’s that have triggered a visit !

let us know how you get on Agriv8

This is the only thing I can think of. I have held a shotgun licence for 50+ years and a FAC for 40+ 

43 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

This is what I pointed out to the firearms officer when he phoned. I am wondering if it's to do with the fact that in the past 24 months, I have purchased 4 firearms (shotguns and rifles) but one of the shotguns purchased is due to be scrapped, and a different one is up for sale. 

they have a record of your storage capacity so as long as the number of guns held doesn't exceed it i'm at a loss for the reasoning behind this.

I have had them come at random, i went to work about 7am and had forgotten something so returned home, a Range Rover was sat on my drive containing my Firearms man. Random spot check,we know you set of to work about now was his story. Came in nothing matched his paperwork and made notes then left. 

the list of what it could be is endless, could be hes in the area making quota, could have been an anon call that someones concerned about your suitability to be a ticket holder.   id seriously not over think it, and i always always kill them with kindness. end up having a good chat and they remember you and that youre sound.

Hi Steve - I had a visit just after you came round to mine for the Hushpower. Same story about catching up on the delay caused by COVID. The guy was great - really friendly and chatty. He just wanted to inspect the security arrangements and check all the serial numbers. This is fairly standard stuff from an FEO inspection visit and I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. 

Must be different in South Wales than it is around our way , I have been in my ( new ) bungalow for seven years next month and in all that time I haven't had any body round to check my security , when I first moved the f a o rang me up to check on my windows and doors ect and as they passed all the requirements he said there was no need for him to visit and to let him know if there were any changes , since then I have had one more renewal and up to now , still no visit .    MM

35 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Must be different in South Wales than it is around our way , I have been in my ( new ) bungalow for seven years next month and in all that time I haven't had any body round to check my security , when I first moved the f a o rang me up to check on my windows and doors ect and as they passed all the requirements he said there was no need for him to visit and to let him know if there were any changes , since then I have had one more renewal and up to now , still no visit .    MM

This is new (to me) in south Wales and I have held both shotgun and FAC licences for over 40+ years.

48 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

Hi Steve - I had a visit just after you came round to mine for the Hushpower. Same story about catching up on the delay caused by COVID. The guy was great - really friendly and chatty. He just wanted to inspect the security arrangements and check all the serial numbers. This is fairly standard stuff from an FEO inspection visit and I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. 

I'm not worried about it, more curious than anything. 

1 hour ago, Sweet11-87 said:

the list of what it could be is endless, could be hes in the area making quota, could have been an anon call that someones concerned about your suitability to be a ticket holder.   id seriously not over think it, and i always always kill them with kindness. end up having a good chat and they remember you and that youre sound.

I'm not in the least bit worried etc. My security is excellent. I'm just a bit curious as this is a first for me.

2 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

they have a record of your storage capacity so as long as the number of guns held doesn't exceed it i'm at a loss for the reasoning behind this.

I have 4 firearm cabinets, 3 of them hold up to 5 firearms, but one has only two rifles in it, due to their bulk. Another one that can hold up to 5, actually has 4 in it. I also gave top quality ammunition cabinets kept separately from the firearms of course. Also, if I cabinet is for, example, 5 firearms, there is no law to say that you cannot put more than 5 inside. It's the strength and quality of the cabinet that matters.

1 minute ago, mossy835 said:

im with avon and somerset and not had a visit for 10 years,

This will be my ' non renewal' inspection in over 40 years.

Is it a coincidence that you've handed a shotgun in to the police at around the same time ? [Guns for sale section] Don't know which was first, so perhaps they are 'just checking' [using that as an excuse] to have a nosey ? Guessing here 🙂

Edited by JKD

2 hours ago, JKD said:

Is it a coincidence that you've handed a shotgun in to the police at around the same time ? [Guns for sale section] Don't know which was first, so perhaps they are 'just checking' [using that as an excuse] to have a nosey ? Guessing here 🙂

I did think about a link to them. The shotgun was handed in first, then approx' 1.5 hours later I had the phone call. 

14 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I received a telephone call yesterday from a firearms officer at south Wales police. He asked if it would okay to arrange a visit to 'inspect my security conditions'. I asked him if this is a new practice that south Wales police are carrying out, and he replied that this was not the case, but 'they' are just catching up on everything due to the backlog caused by Covid. I explained that my security conditions were inspected during my last co terminous renewal (2020) and that everytning was okay. But, he still wanted to arrange a visit (Friday 2nd Feb') jsut to check.

I have absolutely nothing to hide, my security conditions are excellent, and my house has an alarm fitted. I could have refused his request, but then what would have happened?

I have emailed BASC regarding this, and have asked for a reply.

Has anyone else had such a visit?

Hi. 

I would think it's either a jump in crime in your area or as you say recent purchases and a surrender. 

Treat it as a renewal visit and I'm sure you'll be fine.