Women in Shooting

In July 2023, the Home Office released its annual statistics on shotgun and firearm certification in England and Wales, and the facts were plain to see. Only six per cent were female between April 2022 and March 2023, of the 516,500 people who held a shotgun or firearm at that time. This is a figure we must tackle head-on as a shooting community. It is an issue that BASC has been addressing for several years and we have recently revitalised our approach.

Click the link below for more information

https://basc.org.uk/women-in-shooting-events/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

In July 2023, the Home Office released its annual statistics on shotgun and firearm certification in England and Wales, and the facts were plain to see. Only six per cent were female between April 2022 and March 2023, of the 516,500 people who held a shotgun or firearm at that time. This is a figure we must tackle head-on as a shooting community. It is an issue that BASC has been addressing for several years and we have recently revitalised our approach.

Why?  If more women wanted to shoot they would do, are you joining the ever growing list of box tickers?  Not enough LGBT shooting next? How many men play Net Ball?

13 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Why?  If more women wanted to shoot they would do, are you joining the ever growing list of box tickers?  Not enough LGBT shooting next? How many men play Net Ball?

Shooting is open to everyone, and there are barriers, whether real or perceived, to get into shooting, whatever the discipline, and there are lots of initiatives to encourage more women into many sports not just shooting. The more diverse we can be the more inclusive we can become. And that includes welcoming LGBTQQIP2SA shooters.

25 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Shooting is open to everyone, and there are barriers, whether real or perceived, to get into shooting, whatever the discipline, and there are lots of initiatives to encourage more women into many sports not just shooting. The more diverse we can be the more inclusive we can become. And that includes welcoming LGBTQQIP2SA shooters.

Oh dear!  You go from bad to absolutely ridiculous!

Edited by Weihrauch17

The problem is not that's there are not enough women, or indeed enough men, but not enough MPs and Lords (men or women) that now actively shoot. An will defend that in Parliament. It doesn't matter if the Queen of the Nile shoots. What matters is that MPs shoot and MPs that won't sell us down the river as did Hurd and Hogg in 1988. FWIW my late mother shot, rifles, and held an FAC from before WWII right up until the 1970s. That's why I am disappointed that BASC doesn't actively support those hereditary peers standing for election to "the ninety-two" by contacting those BASC members who are of that electorate who get to vote on who gets a Lords seat.

Edited by enfieldspares

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Great idea 

let’s start with a 410 obviously we’re going to start on the right foot and not use lead 

steel not available 

ok bismuth £425 a slab of 250 

can you see where the problem is starting? 

Thank you. Exactly this. But "what ho" as long as the big bag boys can justify what they do by saying they are "harvesting food for the food chain" then so what. Let everyone else go under the bus. All in the name of protecting a six figure investment in what was then called the British Game Alliance. 

Edited by enfieldspares

30 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Thank you. Exactly this. But "what ho" as long as the big bag boys can justify what they do by saying they are "harvesting food for the food chain" then so what. Let everyone else go under the bus. All in the name of protecting a six figure investment in what was then called the British Game Alliance. 

But now it’s all about the environment and the flora and fauna 

seems a little more though should have gone into this 

wondering if the home office will be realising figures for performance of police forces on grants 🙄

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Why must we tackle it head on? So that BASC can meet their B-corp mandated DIE criteria? Could it possibly stem from the fact that most women aren't interested in shooting?

50 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

By far the biggest barriers to shooting are lack of land and permissions to shoot on (especially true for firearms certificates), and our very restrictive licensing system. Why doesn't BASC try and tackle these two instead? Just imagine the difference it would make if public land existed to hunt on, like in the States. 

10 minutes ago, Smudger687 said:Just imagine the difference it would make if public land existed to hunt on, like in the States. 

The very fact that such land does not exist is probably the reason that there are so few accidents in British shooting.

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

The very fact that such land does not exist is probably the reason that there are so few accidents in British shooting.

You're not technically wrong; having no opportunity to use a gun certainly would reduce the chances of having an accident with it, much like not driving a car would reduce the chances of having a crash. But guns are meant to be used, what's the point otherwise?

Women make up 51% of the UK population - simpler to call it half.

Perhaps BASC is correct in seeking to address the under representation of women in shooting.

A useful place to start would be the BASC Council, where women occupy 5 positions out of 22 or the BASC Executive Team where 4 out of 11 are women. 

Beaters day on our small shoot saw all of the women beaters ( who shoot ) show up with their guns.

2 new women beaters want to learn to shoot and one has joined BASC as an individual member.

No barriers from us, and every encouragement is given.

My daughter asks me if we can go shooting more often than my son does .

We have had some great days in the field together .

But I know she is the exception not the rule .You cant force people to engage in recreation  if they don't want to .

Put  your efforts into something more useful like reversing the constant attack on shooting lifestyles and choice .

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Women make up 51% of the UK population - simpler to call it half.

Perhaps BASC is correct in seeking to address the under representation of women in shooting.

A useful place to start would be the BASC Council, where women occupy 5 positions out of 22 or the BASC Executive Team where 4 out of 11 are women. 

25% and 30% so on % more on the Basc team than the % that shoot nationally 

personally I’d rather people were employed on there ability to do the job than gender 

just my thoughts 

8 hours ago, tonyshooter said:

Beaters day on our small shoot saw all of the women beaters ( who shoot ) show up with their guns.

2 new women beaters want to learn to shoot and one has joined BASC as an individual member.

No barriers from us, and every encouragement is given.

Same with us - getting on for now 50 / 50 - lady beaters and men 

The ladies really like working their dogs 

I dont see the need for a big campaign from BASC to be honest 

If they do - why not make BASC  free for ladies for their first year of membership ?

10 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

And that includes welcoming LGBTQQIP2SA shooters.

That says it all.

Not worth reading beyond. All bow to whatever that is.

We're doomed, might as well hand over our guns now, first you ban lead now we have to paint our guns rainbow.

A lot of men shoot to get away from their other half (3 of us were once standing in a wood and discussing why we were out in the cold and wet day and it transpired that we all had ugly or nagging wives) so if more women shoot I'm guessing less men will? What a total waste of BASC time and money - but there's nothing new there is there?

just another box ticking exercise from the ever growing,virtue signalling,woke agenda signing libtard bodies that are sadly now omni present in every facet of life.

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

I’m afraid that LGBTQQIP2SA lost me at the second Q.

Can anyone please translate into Anglo-Saxon.

i could easily but it's a flogging offence.

1 hour ago, Mable said:

That says it all.

Not worth reading beyond. All bow to whatever that is.

We're doomed, might as well hand over our guns now, first you ban lead now we have to paint our guns rainbow.

Alphabet Mafia.

22 minutes ago, London Best said:

I’m afraid that LGBTQQIP2SA lost me at the second Q.

Can anyone please translate into Anglo-Saxon.

Alphabet Mafia