Woodpigeon: pest or a quarry species?

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can I ask where you’ve got this info’ from? 

The GOV.org website General Licence. 

Pigeons can only be shot to protect  A crop after all other possibilities have been exhausted and a documented record exists of the non lethal attempts that were tried. That record must be kept for minimum of three years and produced when asked..

But once they are legally shot you are free to sell them 

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Pigeons can only be shot to protect  A crop after all other possibilities have been exhausted and a documented record exists of the non lethal attempts that were tried. That record must be kept for minimum of three years and produced when asked..

There’s an awful lot of us in breach of the law then! 🙂

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

There are a lot of us that didn't know any different

This is another classic example of the old trick of moving the goal posts by stealth and doing it sneakily so nobody knows until it's a done deal. Now again we find ourselves fighting a faceless Civil Servant somewhere who decided on a whim to make up laws without recourse to parliament. 

Same old same old

Make them a quarry species and we can by pass all this carp. 100% essential if we are not going to face endless persecution 

Edited by Vince Green

22 hours ago, Vince Green said:

This was the point i was trying to make, the GL is complete ********

21 hours ago, 8 shot said:

This was the point i was trying to make, the GL is complete ********

Written by

A) idiots not competent to understand the issues

OR

B) malevolent little dog poops deliberately introducing ambiguity and killer terms into the wording that can later be used to promote malicious prosecutions . Eventually killing off the subject because a few prosecutions will scare off hundreds of regular honest shooters who are not prepared to take the risk .

On 08/02/2024 at 21:10, Conor O'Gorman said:

How long the woodpigeon open/close season should be would be a discussion point in the event of a quarry species review.

As the species has been recorded breeding in every month of the year, I think a close season of one day would do.

23 minutes ago, Penelope said:

As the species has been recorded breeding in every month of the year, I think a close season of one day would do.

Trouble is Paul so do Mallard and no doubt one or two other species , I well remember on a shoot day in January a few years ago where two Labs came back each with a half size Egyptian Goose gosling in there mouths , both were released at the time and the following year the estate got a licence to trim out a few as we had far to many , now I believe we can shoot them if proven they are doing damage to the crops .:hmm: 

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Trouble is Paul so do Mallard and no doubt one or two other species , I well remember on a shoot day in January a few years ago where two Labs came back each with a half size Egyptian Goose gosling in there mouths , both were released at the time and the following year the estate got a licence to trim out a few as we had far to many , now I believe we can shoot them if proven they are doing damage to the crops . 

I was being a little tongue in cheek, John.

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Yes perfectly legal as long you didn't shoot them with the sole intention of selling them or eating them

If one is concerned about the legality and, OK, I know they're not pigeon, but on the grounds that if you shoot pigeon then in all probability you also shoot rabbit. If ever push comes to shove you're more likely to come to grief shooting the latter than the former and particularly if you consider when the majority are shot.

14 hours ago, Vince Green said:

after all other possibilities have been exhausted and a documented record exists of the non lethal attempts that were tried.

Unless this is "impractical, without effect or disproportionate in the circumstances".

GL42 IS riddled with contradictions and get out clauses (following the Wild Injustice debacle), and is written that way for good reason - so as to avoid legal challenge. I don't know why this same non-issue keeps cropping up on PW. If anyone needs further assurance, BASC and others have done their due diligence and concluded that its business as usual - carry on.

10 minutes ago, Fellside said:

GL42 IS riddled with contradictions and get out clauses (following the Wild Injustice debacle), and is written that way for good reason - so as to avoid legal challenge. I don't know why this same non-issue keeps cropping up on PW. If anyone needs further assurance, BASC and others have done their due diligence and concluded that its business as usual - carry on.

This.  Obviously with the exception of Magpies in Wales.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

7 hours ago, Fellside said:

Unless this is "impractical, without effect or disproportionate in the circumstances".

Quite. Just got back from roost shooting; I’m pretty sure the ‘keeper has done his ‘due diligence’ and concluded its business as usual. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Great 👍. Hope you were successful. 

Thanks. There was no wind so the birds were high, which led to some very challenging shots, so not a great bag to be honest. 
They're all in the rear of my Landrover as we speak, so will count them when I breast them tomorrow sometime. 

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks. There was no wind so the birds were high, which led to some very challenging shots, so not a great bag to be honest. 
They're all in the rear of my Landrover as we speak, so will count them when I breast them tomorrow sometime. 

Well done for getting a few anyway. Now you’ve made me want to go roost shooting. Think I will start scouting the woods. 

Some general principles as I understand them, with the England general licences in mind, these being the most confusing ones, but the following applies generally across all countries I think:

General licences allow preventative action to be taken so you do not need to wait until damage has occurred. You can shoot or trap the listed pest birds if you haven’t tried non-lethal methods because the decision is yours on the practicality of that. You can use decoys, shoot on stubbles, roost shoot etc. under general licence because they allow preventative action to be taken and there is no restriction on using decoys, shooting on stubbles, roost shooting etc.

For info on general licences in England, Wales, Scotland and NI click here:

https://basc.org.uk/general-licences/

On 13/02/2024 at 22:03, Scully said:

We are all doomed for following our forefathers; world has gone nuts ( I even saw they want to take animals off merry go rounds at fun fairs ( for cruelty reasoning ))

6 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Some general principles as I understand them, with the England general licences in mind, these being the most confusing ones, but the following applies generally across all countries I think:

General licences allow preventative action to be taken so you do not need to wait until damage has occurred. You can shoot or trap the listed pest birds if you haven’t tried non-lethal methods because the decision is yours on the practicality of that. You can use decoys, shoot on stubbles, roost shoot etc. under general licence because they allow preventative action to be taken and there is no restriction on using decoys, shooting on stubbles, roost shooting etc.

For info on general licences in England, Wales, Scotland and NI click here:

https://basc.org.uk/general-licences/

Grand. 👍

• 2 weeks later...