Fox and Co bespoke.

jasper682

Hi .

Have seen some lovely bespoke engraving from this company , fox and Co bespoke.  Just wondered if anybody has used them . Opinions?. 

It seems that one of the now defunct Boxall and Edminson folk is a director. 

Ans while we're at it.How do you  think that aftermarket (bespoke) engraving will affect the 2nd hand value (of gun) up or down. 

Thanks in advance .

Jasper  

Edited by jasper682

8 minutes ago, jasper682 said:

Hi .

Have seen some lovely bespoke engraving from this company , fox and Co bespoke.  Just wondered if anybody has used them . Opinions?. 

Ans while we're at it.How do you  think that aftermarket (bespoke) engraving will affect the 2nd hand value (of gun) up or down. 

Thanks in advance .

Jasper  

Can’t say I’ve heard of them but engraving doesn’t really appeal to me if I’m honest; less is more in my opinion. 
It’s all subjective and therefore purely down to an individuals taste as to whether it will increase or devalue a gun. 
You could have engraving done which you think is wonderful, but someone else could think it’s dire. 🤷‍♂️

40 minutes ago, jasper682 said:

Hi .

Thanks in advance .

Jasper  

Down for sure

So its quite divisive  as to whether folk actually  prefer plain actions or engraving, regardless of who did it. Interesting that a dt11 L or EL seems to fetch stupid money when some prefer plain. Then when you throw in bespoke engraving for considerably less money than either of the above , then folk think it's worth less. 

Interesting. 

Jasper. 

I actually had them do a gun of mine.

From a little distance it looks very good and I received many positive compliments about the gun, BUT, I wish I hadn't had it done, as it's laser engraved when you tilt the gun the face of the engraving is flat and shiny, I just didn't like it. My gun was an MX8, I always wanted the scroll engraved SC3 type 100, so got this done as I really got on with the gun, having owned it for 9 years so thought I'd just keep it and have it engraved, which was a lot cheaper than getting a genuine SC3+ I would need it to be the same spec as my gun. I sold the gun about 3 months later, I did get £5k for the gun, which in a plain action was about £3k private so wasn't unhappy with the sale.

On 15/02/2024 at 19:37, Scully said:

It’s all subjective and therefore purely down to an individuals taste as to whether it will increase or devalue a gun. 

My view is it should be done fully and all over the action and to the highest quality, as was on my Boss, or that there should be almost virtually none at all as on my late father's Henry Clarke. To do the thing "half cooked" is to look as if you couldn't afford to do the job properly and had fancies that exceeded your finances. In recent gun terms it is why I always preferred the look of the AYA Yeoman Ejector than the AYA No4. Form should be "pure" and follow function.

Edited by enfieldspares

On 21/02/2024 at 22:59, enfieldspares said:

My view is it should be done fully and all over the action and to the highest quality, as was on my Boss, or that there should be almost virtually none at all as on my late father's Henry Clarke. To do the thing "half cooked" is to look as if you couldn't afford to do the job properly and had fancies that exceeded your finances. In recent gun terms it is why I always preferred the look of the AYA Yeoman Ejector than the AYA No4. Form should be "pure" and follow function.

Each to their own but I’m firmly in the ‘less is more’ camp. 
I used to shake my head in despair at all those ‘commemorative’ firearms featured in Guns and Ammo back in my youth. Perfectly good firearms ruined by ‘bling’ on every conceivable surface! 
Americans, Arabs and Gypsies are firmly in the ‘more is more ‘ camp! 

49 minutes ago, Scully said:

Each to their own but I’m firmly in the ‘less is more’ camp. 

I remember showing my Colt 1911 that was made in about 1917 to one of my late father;s friends, one George Baxter, in about 1976. Mr Baxter had been a machinist back in his working life.

He didn't as such know about guns but he knew about machining and light engineering. he looked at the pistol and after, at his request I'd stripped it and then reassembled it said this. "There's not a single operation (as in a mill, cut, machining) on that gun that isn't necessary. It is perfect." So I agree that less is more in that respect.

Supposedly the engraving on a sidelock is there to hide wear as the gun is used and gets rubbed against other objects and secondly to hold oil against the metal. This below is just sublime IMHO. Apart form the gilded fences and the fancy work on the barrels and the gold triggers that is. But the lockplates are superb and tasteful too. How practical it would be I don't know!

del.jpeg

del (2).jpeg

Edited by enfieldspares

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

I remember showing my Colt 1911 that was made in about 1917 to one of my late father;s friends, one George Baxter, in about 1976. Mr Baxter had been a machinist back in his working life. He didn't as such know about guns but he knew about machining and light engineering. he looked at the pistol and after, at his request I'd stripped it and then reassembled it said this. "There's not a single operation (as in a mill, cut, machining) on that gun that isn't necessary." So I agree that less is more in that respect.

Supposedly the engraving on a sidelock is there to hide wear as the gun is used and gets rubbed against other objects and secondly to hold oil against the metal. This below is just sublime IMHO. Apart form the gilded fences and the fancy work on the barrels and the gold triggers that is. But the lockplates are superb and tasteful too. How practical it would be I don't know!

del.jpeg

del (2).jpeg

Not to my taste, but I can see the skill involved.

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I remember showing my Colt 1911 that was made in about 1917 to one of my late father;s friends, one George Baxter, in about 1976. Mr Baxter had been a machinist back in his working life.

He didn't as such know about guns but he knew about machining and light engineering. he looked at the pistol and after, at his request I'd stripped it and then reassembled it said this. "There's not a single operation (as in a mill, cut, machining) on that gun that isn't necessary. It is perfect." So I agree that less is more in that respect.

del.jpeg

del (2).jpeg

I too owned a 1911 A1 Colt in .45 ACP. One of the nicest pistols in my collection. It was blued and browned and a perfect example of functionality. 
Anyhow, whilst I can appreciate the skill involved in the example you post of the sidelock, it is in my opinion simply grotesque and does indeed resemble perfectly those awful decorative plates and vases which adorn gypsy caravans! 
Sorry. 

57 minutes ago, Scully said:

I too owned a 1911 A1 Colt in .45 ACP. One of the nicest pistols in my collection. It was blued and browned and a perfect example of functionality. 
Anyhow, whilst I can appreciate the skill involved in the example you post of the sidelock, it is in my opinion simply grotesque and does indeed resemble perfectly those awful decorative plates and vases which adorn gypsy caravans! 
Sorry. 

I could not agree more. It’s grotesque! Just SOOO wrong.

Edited by London Best

You all not have been bidding on the famous or infamous Minoudis Purdey then? I remember the original Guns & Ammo write up. Cor blimey awful the thing was!

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4829691

In 1960 Anthony G. Minoudis, a ship owner and diamond importer based in Los Angeles, met the then managing director of James Purdey & Sons, Harry Lawrence, during the latter's annual visit to the U.S.A. Minoudis discussed and later ordered from him a 12 bore sidelock ejector pigeon gun on the understanding that regardless of cost it was to be made to the most exacting standard possible and lavishly enhanced with gold decoration. In short, to be the finest gun Purdeys had ever manufactured. The gun took over twelve years to complete, sometimes because of outside influences, and was the subject of something over 200 letters between Minoudis and Lawrence in addition to personal meetings in London and the U.S.A. Harry Lawrence selected the talented Ken Hunt to do the carving and gold inlay work on the gun and the task engaged him for three years. The gun was finally delivered into Mr Minoudis' hands in June 1973 and remains a glorious example of British gunmaking at its very best.
The gun is in un-used condition.

Edited by enfieldspares