Portugal

snarepeg

1 hour ago, joejoe said:

Most towns I have been too on the Algarve are really nice but I think most are hilly

This... 

Went to carvoeiro in 2019 and its a small cove when down in the town but it's very hilly, has great coast walk out into caves etc.

1 hour ago, joejoe said:

Tavira is nice no wasn’t too hilly, my 2 year old son managed. Some good beaches nearby. 

Most towns I have been too on the Algarve are really nice but I think most are hilly.

this^^^^^^^^^^

and for the last decade or so full of Africans pestering you to buy ganja and charlie.

but yet again so is Spain.

7 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

this^^^^^^^^^^

and for the last decade or so full of Africans pestering you to buy ganja and charlie.

This, wouldn't go back and that was fifteen years ago. 

Much depends on whether you’re looking for family holiday, or just with a partner, and what your interests are.

Some years back we chose not to visit beach type resorts and as an alternative do a bit of city breaks sight seeing. We flew in to Lisbon for a few days then caught the train to Porto and stopped off on the way at one of the large university towns, then Porto for a few days from where you can do a trip to the Douro wine valley. The only down side was we had cabin bags and couldn’t bring back any Port!!

just another bit of random info,it doesn't matter what time of year you go,the sea isstill freezing 😁😁😁

4 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Just returned from Faro area we had a car and visited many towns and village's, the custard tarts are great, its fairly flat around the coast but very hilly in land. Best visit the church of bones.

and another vote for the custard tarts 👍

15 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

this^^^^^^^^^^

Went to Barcelona with the heavily pregnant wife and every other person was trying to sell us cocaine. 

On the upside they didn’t seem unfriendly 🤣 we never felt unsafe but that’s probably because it was the middle of the day in busy areas. 

It seems that everyone I know is currently looking at buying property in rural Portugal.

I am not sure if it's the tax regime, the weather, the locals / way of life but whereas it used to be France and Spain, it now appears to be Portugal.

I always had it in the back of my mind that an ideal retirement would be a bolt hole no more than 4 hours away on a plane from my local airport (Stansted or Southend) to somewhere half civilized that's not all football shirts /all day breakfasts, and where there was consistent sunshine from 1st January to 31st March. Indeed, if I had my wish I would never spend another January, February or March in this Country ever again. Looking at the jet stream that's probably Maderia, Cape Verde (although I understand this is still "developing" and it's some distance away) or Gran Canaria. 

I'm a big fan of Italy for the grub but the bits that stay hot all year round are nose bleed expensive.

I do wonder what the cost benefit analysis is though of owning foreign property - I've watched dozens of people go through the foreign property cycle and it's never worked out the way they wanted it to in terms of dosh or benefit. I think it may work if you speak the local lingo and spend half the year in your foreign gaff but in all other cases you'd be better parking your money in BAE shares and spending the return on an air b n b. I digress....

13 minutes ago, Mungler said:

if I had my wish I would never spend another January, February or March in this Country ever again.

And miss the last month of the season and roost shooting?!

15 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I do wonder what the cost benefit analysis is though of owning foreign property - I've watched dozens of people go through the foreign property cycle and it's never worked out the way they wanted it to in terms of dosh or benefit. I think it may work if you speak the local lingo and spend half the year in your foreign gaff

I'd definitely agree that those who try to jet between blighty and a foreign bolt-hole seem to be neither fish nor fowl and are spending inordinate amounts of time and money going between the 2 and/or trying to maintain 2 properties.

If you're gonna do it, move there full time, immerse yourself into the lingo and culture.  Do not ever utter the phrase "In England we do it this way...."

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

It seems that everyone I know is currently looking at buying property in rural Portugal.

I am not sure if it's the tax regime, the weather, the locals / way of life but whereas it used to be France and Spain, it now appears to be Portugal.

I always had it in the back of my mind that an ideal retirement would be a bolt hole no more than 4 hours away on a plane from my local airport (Stansted or Southend) to somewhere half civilized that's not all football shirts /all day breakfasts, and where there was consistent sunshine from 1st January to 31st March. Indeed, if I had my wish I would never spend another January, February or March in this Country ever again. Looking at the jet stream that's probably Maderia, Cape Verde (although I understand this is still "developing" and it's some distance away) or Gran Canaria. 

I'm a big fan of Italy for the grub but the bits that stay hot all year round are nose bleed expensive.

I do wonder what the cost benefit analysis is though of owning foreign property - I've watched dozens of people go through the foreign property cycle and it's never worked out the way they wanted it to in terms of dosh or benefit. I think it may work if you speak the local lingo and spend half the year in your foreign gaff but in all other cases you'd be better parking your money in BAE shares and spending the return on an air b n b. I digress....

in answer to your first sentence i've had a place in Portugal since 1999 about 5 miles from Alvor👍

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

Do you get our there much or do you air b n b / owners abroad it?

i used to quite a bit, especially for the golf as it's on a golf course (which is free on that particular course) and i've let friends/family use it but to be fair i'm toying with the idea of off loading it at present.

2 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

i used to quite a bit, especially for the golf as it's on a golf course (which is free on that particular course) and i've let friends/family use it but to be fair i'm toying with the idea of off loading it at present.

In 2018 we "offloaded" our place in Florida after 11 years and the "friends/family" said "Jeez, what we gonna do for a holiday now". Not once did any of them suggest any contribution to the £2 / 2.5k per month running costs.

We loved the place and used it a lot. Great times in fabulous weather - but it becomes a very expensive habit.

Edited by Eyefor

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

In 2018 we "offloaded" our place in Florida after 11 years and the "friends/family" said "Jeez, what we gonna do for a holiday now". Not once did any of them suggest any contribution to the £2 / 2.5k per month running costs.

We loved the place and used it a lot. Great times in fabulous weather - but it becomes a very expensive habit.

surprisingly,i have never had that trouble BUT they were all told from the outset that it wasn't a freeby.

as the A/C,gas, electricity,pool and general maintenance etc,etc,etc,etc (hope i put enough etc's in) costs "I don't get for free"😁

it seemed to work👍 couple that in with the €80-€100 a round (each) that's gratis and it's cheap as chips.

Edited by Zoli 12 guage