Military Training

discobob

Bit of a long one.
So, a friends daughter has joined up to the Army. It took a long time but eventually recruitment (Capita) must have got bloody desperate. 
In Basic she got back squaded 3 times but eventually passed out and then it was off to Leconfield for driver training. 
Now, prior to joining up she had driving lessons and failed the theory on at least 2 occasions. 
Apparently, she was given unlimited access to the theory tests and she just had to do it again and again until she passed - then it was a 36 hour intensive driving practice on the camp and hey bingo- the test was there as well and she now has her driving lesson. She has had a car bought for her and was taken out by a relative in it who said “she can’t drive”!!!

She begins her HGV training this week!!

Luckily there was a problem with the cars gearbox and she isn’t driving it at the moment

Edited by discobob

9 hours ago, discobob said:

Apparently- she signed to say she wouldn’t fight - they are given the choice to abstain!!

I give up 🤬

a bit like picking mining as a career and then saying your claustrophobic when you have to go underground.

9 hours ago, discobob said:

Apparently- she signed to say she wouldn’t fight - they are given the choice to abstain!!

I give up 🤬

Every person that joins the Army is trained firstly as a basic infantryman, they then go on to do their chosen trade or speciality.Think your friends daughter may be telling some porkies

17 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Every person that joins the Army is trained firstly as a basic infantryman, they then go on to do their chosen trade or speciality.Think your friends daughter may be telling some porkies

OR............................Things have changed MASSIVELY............................:w00t:

Just now, London Best said:

I don’t expect the firearms training was any better than the driving lessons.

Well that is quite possible, BUT anyone I trained knew what they were doing and my eldest Son is the same with his troops.

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

13 years service here - 4 Army and 9 RAF - but been out 25 years now!
It was told to me 2nd hand via the better half!

42 minutes ago, discobob said:

13 years service here - 4 Army and 9 RAF - but been out 25 years now!
It was told to me 2nd hand via the better half!

I have the same 13 yrs in the Army, my Son is serving at his 9 yr point, just asked him about females being able to sign an abstention not to fight, he said he had never heard of it and it sounded made up.
I could ask on the veterans page i run with 11,000 members, but i think i would have the urine extracted.

2 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

but i think i would have the urine extracted.

Go on - I dare you!!😂🤣😂

It may be the case but in this day and age!! Who knows??

I remember when I went back to demob at Catterick and saw recruits in trainers and was gobsmacked (1989) when it was sole slapped plimsolls or high leg boots (not thigh length though 😂) when I went through 4 years earlier. 

mind you, in RAF basic it was trainers as well but what do you expect 🤣 I joined to get a trade 😀

4 minutes ago, discobob said:

Go on - I dare you!!😂🤣😂

It may be the case but in this day and age!! Who knows??

I remember when I went back to demob at Catterick and saw recruits in trainers and was gobsmacked (1989) when it was sole slapped plimsolls or high leg boots (not thigh length though 😂) when I went through 4 years earlier. 

mind you, in RAF basic it was trainers as well but what do you expect 🤣 I joined to get a trade 😀

Can only answer for the Royal Marines, but back along c90s recruits were issued with boots prior to joining up. This because they'd grown up wearing trainers and on having to put themselves about strenuously wearing boots their bones not having hardened they were suffering green stick fractures.

17 hours ago, discobob said:

When I was doing my Class 1 HGV training there was a guy taking reservists for lessons and test. (Old class 2)

It seemed to be round the block, emergency stop and reversing.

Providing they didn’t hit anyone or anything they passed. 😕

I had to go to an official test centre to do my test with a 45 minute driving assessment.

If they are still doing this then she will probably pass 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mine was in 1992

:shaun:

5 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

When I was doing my Class 1 HGV training there was a guy taking reservists for lessons and test. (Old class 2)

It seemed to be round the block, emergency stop and reversing.

Providing they didn’t hit anyone or anything they passed. 😕

I had to go to an official test centre to do my test with a 45 minute driving assessment.

If they are still doing this then she will probably pass 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mine was in 1992

:shaun:

When i did my hgv licences in the army they were all proper assesments,  the hgv2 was a pain as they took you through salisbury and on one tight road there was a huge upper floor bay window that stuck out as you came to a corner, a lot got caught not anticipating it and then having to shunt back and fore to get past it they failed.

My mate was a terrible driver, when i was instructing for AFV432 it took a huge amont of work to get him to pass his test, a couple of years later i saw him and he was driving a landrover, on his test he took the instructor to a shop , parked in the multistory and when the instructor came back with his shopping he told him to drive him back to the camp and that he had passed.

7 hours ago, London Best said:

I don’t expect the firearms training was any better than the driving lessons.

I posted this because 25 years ago I was asked to help a nephew, recently ex-army, to set up his scope sight on an air rifle he had bought. 
He said he had twiddled the knobs every which way and it made no difference. He was astounded when I removed  the turret caps and showed him the adjusters. He hadn’t got a clue that he had just been turning the caps.

Edited by London Best

18 hours ago, discobob said:

Bit of a long one.
So, a friends daughter has joined up to the Army. It took a long time but eventually recruitment (Capita) must have got bloody desperate. 
In Basic she got back squaded 3 times but eventually passed out and then it was off to Leconfield for driver training. 
Now, prior to joining up she had driving lessons and failed the theory on at least 2 occasions. 
Apparently, she was given unlimited access to the theory tests and she just had to do it again and again until she passed - then it was a 36 hour intensive driving practice on the camp and hey bingo- the test was there as well and she now has her driving lesson. She has had a car bought for her and was taken out by a relative in it who said “she can’t drive”!!!

Luckily there was a problem with the cars gearbox and she isn’t driving it at the moment

7 hours ago, welsh1 said:

This is total nonsense.  This is just posting a lump of rubbish and causing that nonsense to be relayed online and relayed until it must be true.  FAKE NEWS.

The training in the armed forces is very stringent and if you do not come up to the required standards you are back squaded.  If you fail again you are invited to find your way up the road.  They do not hand out certificates or medals with the bully beef.  Recently there was series about warship and a woman who had a rank had to do a fitness test.  This was held in a hanger deck for an amount of the crew. They had to do a lot of running speed trials to a beep timer.  Now she was belting up and down and only missed the required standard by a second or two. She was told that she would  be allowed a second attempt and that would be out.  The woman did a lot of training and managed to pass.  As in a post above it is either a load of porkies or someone is mistaken,

Edited by Minky

@Minky unfortunately I am not. Admittedly the bit about not fighting might be something that was said to her mum by the daughter - but the rest is verboten. My wife has been keeping me informed me along the way. 
Re the driving test - not sure if it was in a Landy or car but it was only on the camp. Re the theory - that is what happened. 
Her Aunt took her out in the car that was bought for her and said she can’t drive. The plan is that once the car is fixed it will be staying here and she will be having ancillary driving instruction. 
I am sorry if this doesn’t align with your view of the world - but it isn’t FAKE NEWS. In fact, I wish it was with being a veteran myself. Personally, the girl has a lot of issues (mainly around anger) along with educational (no qualifications) and could only get in as a driver. She isn’t a girl I have only known casually as she used to spend time here during the school holidays, and I have known her since birth.  So please be more cautious with your accusations 👍

16 hours ago, London Best said:

I posted this because 25 years ago I was asked to help a nephew, recently ex-army, to set up his scope sight on an air rifle he had bought. 
He said he had twiddled the knobs every which way and it made no difference. He was astounded when I removed  the turret caps and showed him the adjusters. He hadn’t got a clue that he had just been turning the caps.

Not very likely that he would have used many air rifles whilst serving though, is it?

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not very likely that he would have used many air rifles whilst serving though, is it?

The air rifle wasn’t the issue. I as referring to the fact that the man was incapable of adjusting a scope. 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

The air rifle wasn’t the issue. I as referring to the fact that the man was incapable of adjusting a scope. 

Most likely because most soldiers never used to see a scoped rifle. Our SLRs had iron sites. The susat sites on the SA80 used a key for making adjustments, so adjusting a conventional scope is alien to most Soldiers. 

Edited by toontastic