NPCC firearms lead visits BASC

At a guess, this is because BASCs email server sends emails out in blocks of, say, 10000 at a time, in order to avoid being flagged as a spam server.

Whatever the reason, I’m honestly struggling to understand your issue?

Assuming for a minute my reasoning is correct, doing things the other way round, viz. waiting 24h or so till emails to all members were sent, before posting anything on socials, would these days result in far more complaints of BASC seeming to be unresponsive.

Does it really matter how you get to see it. A weekly email kind of is exactly that, 1 a week. If something happens a on a Monday and the emails I a Tuesday you'll get it in email of the Tuesday, unsure how membership has anything to do with this.. loads of orgs use multiple platforms to share information.. I read it then saw email now have magazine, so that's three ways I can or could view it. Means it catches All

46 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

At a guess, this is because BASCs email server sends emails out in blocks of, say, 10000 at a time, in order to avoid being flagged as a spam server.

Whatever the reason, I’m honestly struggling to understand your issue?

Assuming for a minute my reasoning is correct, doing things the other way round, viz. waiting 24h or so till emails to all members were sent, before posting anything on socials, would these days result in far more complaints of BASC seeming to be unresponsive.

Why would they be considered un responsive 

surely it’s better to put members first 

who pays the wages and funds the free lunch the members 

30 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Does it really matter how you get to see it. A weekly email kind of is exactly that, 1 a week. If something happens a on a Monday and the emails I a Tuesday you'll get it in email of the Tuesday, unsure how membership has anything to do with this.. loads of orgs use multiple platforms to share information.. I read it then saw email now have magazine, so that's three ways I can or could view it. Means it catches All

You read it on here free 

email after to paying members 

magazine after to paying member 

why bother paying membership just get the information for free on here 

I must say I smiled reading the BASC magazine today page 43 Firing Line when reading the reply to Stephen Redman question
In the .410 corner, he shoots .410 hush power for squirrels and asked about ever getting .410 non-toxic shot cartridges or should he sell his .410

Basc reply don’t worry we will keep lead shot for at least three years and then you can use Bismuth or another alternative metal alloy shot available by then.  

Obviously to meet the requirements of using a biodegradable wad.

Edited by rbrowning2

@Old farrierI do understand where you are coming from - as a BASC member you are funding our policy work on firearms licensing and so forth so you would wish to be updated first as a member of BASC on this and other topics before the rest of the shooting community receive a link to that same update. The question in my mind is how much time in advance of receiving weblinks to updates on the BASC website would you like to receive before that same weblink is highlighted to non-members? Notwithstanding the fact that as soon as we publish the article online it is instantly available to any casual visitor to BASC's website and there will be non-members therefore reading that online article before you receive or read an electronic communication from BASC by email or on social media about that online article.

The weblink in the OP was to an article published two days ago on the BASC website, then yesterday morning a link to the article was highlighted on BASC social media channels from 7am onwards. Then it was featured in the weekly BASC Live email newsletter sent to members this afternoon (note - non-members subscribing to BASC Live also receive that email) amongst many other website updates published at various points over the last 7 days. 

Given that you are a longstanding BASC member, and the only person I am aware of raising concerns about this, perhaps I could message you links to articles on the BASC website before I publish them on PW but my question would be how much time (hours/days) you would be satisfied with in-between me sending you a message with a link to the website article and posting the policy update on PW.

26 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

@Old farrierI do understand where you are coming from - as a BASC member you are funding our policy work on firearms licensing and so forth so you would wish to be updated first as a member of BASC on this and other topics before the rest of the shooting community receive a link to that same update. The question in my mind is how much time in advance of receiving weblinks to updates on the BASC website would you like to receive before that same weblink is highlighted to non-members? Notwithstanding the fact that as soon as we publish the article online it is instantly available to any casual visitor to BASC's website and there will be non-members therefore reading that online article before you receive or read an electronic communication from BASC by email or on social media about that online article.

The weblink in the OP was to an article published two days ago on the BASC website, then yesterday morning a link to the article was highlighted on BASC social media channels from 7am onwards. Then it was featured in the weekly BASC Live email newsletter sent to members this afternoon (note - non-members subscribing to BASC Live also receive that email) amongst many other website updates published at various points over the last 7 days. 

Given that you are a longstanding BASC member, and the only person I am aware of raising concerns about this, perhaps I could message you links to articles on the BASC website before I publish them on PW but my question would be how much time (hours/days) you would be satisfied with in-between me sending you a message with a link to the website article and posting the policy update on PW.

A reasonable time would be email to members first then when they have been sent out then put it on the Basc website and then the following day at least the other platforms 

members first at at least give those that pay the chance to get the information first 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

A reasonable time would be email to members first then when they have been sent out then put it on the Basc website and then the following day at least the other platforms 

members first at at least give those that pay the chance to get the information first 

Thanks, articles need to be published on the BASC website first so that there is something to link to for various electronic comms thereafter pointing to those articles. There will be a time delay between the online articles being published and the weekly email and social media updates pointing to those online articles.

To be fair, my thought was "......aaaaand?"

What was discussed? What was the agenda? Was it a nice lunch and networking at the expense of a CC being away from a lot of work to have tea and cake, or was there a meeting around licencing and other factors that affect shooting?

I did like the tagline about both sides wanting a system that's efficient and effective. My comment would be what was discussed to agree that it's not, and the pathway to get to that gold standard?
I appreciate that's probably a question that won't be answered. But. It is obbiously not efficient and effective currently. 

52 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Nope, still can't work out why this is so important to you.

Your argument is with the modern world, not BASC.

44 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Given that you are a longstanding BASC member, and the only person I am aware of raising concerns about this

QED.

I have my own issues with BASC, but IMO OF's complaint doesn't quite reach the levels of ridiculousness that 'the BASC tie is not as good as the WAGBI tie' thread does, but it comes a close second.

Conor as a representative of the organisation he works for must remain polite.  I am not so encumbered, other than remaining within this forum's AUP.

Therefore I respectfully suggest you get out more.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Nope, still can't work out why this is so important to you.

Your argument is with the modern world, not BASC.

QED.

I have my own issues with BASC, but as far as IMO OF's complaint doesn't quite reach the levels of ridiculousness that 'the BASC tie is not as good as the WAGBI tie' thread does, but it comes a close second.

Conor as a representative of the organisation he works for must remain polite.  I am not so encumbered, other than remaining within this forum's AUP.

Therefore I respectfully suggest you get out more.

Fair enough i take your opinion onboard indeed it maybe the modern world’s way and maybe I’m too old to see that 

iv raised this issue before and gone down the phone call route with Conor apparently it was a waste of time (modern times probably) 

this is how I see it 

your a paid up member of a shoot or shooting club 

would you be happy with someone coming along shooting at the gun club that you pay to be a member of for free 

or would you charge them for the birds or a green fee 

please note I get out more than most 

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m still trying to get used to the fact that there’s a ‘firearms licensing working ‘lead’! 
What do they do all day? 

Well I can tell you what they don't do, they don't make the system any quicker.

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I can tell you what they don't do, they don't make the system any quicker.

Depends who’s operating the system, Lincolnshire’s firearms department are exceptional 👍

13 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Depends who’s operating the system, Lincolnshire’s firearms department are exceptional 👍

Oh I quite agree, Scully and I were talking about the "Firearms Licensing Working Lead" position.

Cambridgeshire Firearms Licensing were very competent, until they were merged with two other units and then it just slowed down.

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Fair enough i take your opinion onboard indeed it maybe the modern world’s way and maybe I’m too old to see that 

iv raised this issue before and gone down the phone call route with Conor apparently it was a waste of time (modern times probably) 

this is how I see it 

your a paid up member of a shoot or shooting club 

would you be happy with someone coming along shooting at the gun club that you pay to be a member of for free 

or would you charge them for the birds or a green fee 

please note I get out more than most 

I don't think that analogy works but I do understand this is an important issue for you. BASC membership benefits are exclusive to BASC members and are outlined here: https://basc.org.uk/join/ . Communications by BASC are to its members and to all with an interest in keeping up to date with current affairs and the wider public and media. Theses comms happen multiple times daily across myriad platforms. I have twice now offered you an accommodation to address your expectations to receive information first before PW members and not had a response. However, it seems to me from your comments that you would like BASC to email its members on every topic before it communicates in any other way beyond the members on each topic. What you have not taken into account however is members that do not use email. So, might someone with your POV not expect to receive a letter from BASC to arrive the same day as the emails on all these topics? That is not far fetched, I remember someone having this POV when I was a club secretary many years ago  - they did not want to use email but wanted the information sent by email to others at same time as the email whether by letter or a phone call.  This was at a time when emails were taking over from paper comms. So, what would you like me to do in your case?

24 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

I don't think that analogy works but I do understand this is an important issue for you. BASC membership benefits are exclusive to BASC members and are outlined here: https://basc.org.uk/join/ . Communications by BASC are to its members and to all with an interest in keeping up to date with current affairs and the wider public and media. Theses comms happen multiple times daily across myriad platforms. I have twice now offered you an accommodation to address your expectations to receive information first before PW members and not had a response. However, it seems to me from your comments that you would like BASC to email its members on every topic before it communicates in any other way beyond the members on each topic. What you have not taken into account however is members that do not use email. So, might someone with your POV not expect to receive a letter from BASC to arrive the same day as the emails on all these topics? That is not far fetched, I remember someone having this POV when I was a club secretary many years ago  - they did not want to use email but wanted the information sent by email to others at same time as the email whether by letter or a phone call.  This was at a time when emails were taking over from paper comms. So, what would you like me to do in your case?

Firstly if you don’t have a email you couldn’t be on this site therefore you should receive the email before it’s put on the public domain a day would be sufficient as i said in my first reply 

perhaps a better analogy would be 

paying full price for a two day old newspaper 

will you be publishing the outcome of the meeting on here or in the next bulletin 

15 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Firstly if you don’t have a email you couldn’t be on this site therefore you should receive the email before it’s put on the public domain a day would be sufficient as i said in my first reply 

perhaps a better analogy would be 

paying full price for a two day old newspaper 

will you be publishing the outcome of the meeting on here or in the next bulletin 

Thanks. I don't think that analogy works as only BASC members receive the BASC magazine. As regards the meeting highlighted in the OP there is an article in latest magazine March/April on BASC's continued work towards ten year certs and no doubt further updates to come in next BASC magazine. 

So, what you are proposing is that BASC sends multiple emails a day to all its members with the full content of each update (not a weblink to website) and then stage these updates for 24 hour periods from the time of those emails for publication on website and social media?

Would it not be better if you could PM me your email address I will email you any updates I put up on PW a day before I do so. As I commented earlier you are the only person of the 150,000 BASC members that has raised this issue and therefore it makes more sense for me to personally accommodate your needs than for BASC to completely change its comms to meet the expectations of one member.

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

er you are the only person of the 150,000 BASC members that has raised this issue 

To be fair, OF is the only one that has directly commented based on your comment. Others may feel it, but haven't vocalised it.

I do understand OF's thought that new content should be shared with members first. 
I do understand if your content has to be hosted on the web, that an email notification wouldn't make that exclusive (without additional dev work).

I don't think this can come to an easy conclusion. Maybe it would make sense to pass the feedback to your communications team, and pass forward the feedback that maybe there should be an optional "early release" email distribution that people can opt in and out of, and an airgap before it is posted online? That would help pass on feedback without commitment. 

FWIW, I understand OFs comment and would side with him on the sentiment. I also believe there is no current practicable solution to accommodate this, but passing the feedback to the appropriate team may be the best solution.

5 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I've read this thread and from the first post felt what a load of malarkey about nothing. Sorry OF but surely you must be having a bad hair day or something.

Your right 👍

best solution is to cancel my membership and let them carry on 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Your right 👍

best solution is to cancel my membership and let them carry on 

Or you can take up the offer to PM me your email address and I will email you any updates I put up on PW a day before I do so. That to me is a solution that meets your needs, is it not?