Bridge collapse - Baltimore.

Penelope

14 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The Bridge has the same issue as lots of infrastructure around the world, bridges, hospitals, prisons, the lot … they’re so astronomically expensive to build no one ever considers replacing them until they’re a complete wreck or something awful happens. 

it had stood the test of time for over 50 years with no issues till a 80,000 ton (?) ship hit it.

what are you suggesting?

engineering structures should have a shelf life?

3 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Not sure any bridge would stand up to being slammed into the "legs" by a full container ship.... 

Atleast the ship was able to put out a mayday and the bridge got shut. Else it could have been so much worse from a casualty perspective.

This youtube link is a longer video of the event, it shows that the last visible vehicle crossing was around 30 seconds clear. The event is around 5 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEkRjlSgIIQ

4 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

it had stood the test of time for over 50 years with no issues till a 80,000 ton (?) ship hit it.

what are you suggesting?

I think with the size of ships, it would be virtually impossible to construct  bridge that would withstand all possible impacts.  I'm sure the bridge would be subject to regular inspections for corrosion and 'ageing' issues, and if there has been any negligence, no doubt this will emerge as the inevitable enquiry takes place. 

My guess is that there are MANY bridges worldwide at risk from this type of accident.  It's a risk we live with and so far with reasonable success. 

There was once a (railway) bridge over the Severn which was destroyed by a maritime collision.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Railway_Bridge

6 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

what are you suggesting?

We currently have a number of engineering structures crumbling due to the concrete being so old. 

They should be reviewed to ensure they’re still fit for purpose is what I’m saying. 

Not sure if it would have made a big difference in this exact case. 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

We currently have a number of engineering structures crumbling due to the concrete being so old. 
They should be reviewed to ensure they’re still fit for purpose is what I’m saying. 
Not sure if it would have made a big difference in this exact case. 

I would put good money on the bridge having regular inspections. But it was NEVER going to win a fight with a ship of that size and more importantly WEIGHT.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

i think you'll find that in the cases you cite it's because the concrete is of a proven inferior/substandard (aerated) type/design/quality. 

20 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I would put good money on the bridge having regular inspections. But it was NEVER going to win a fight with a ship of that size and more importantly WEIGHT.

As said possibly down to the initial impact point which looked like the bow taking out the metal pylon above the solid footings?

Edited by old man

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It is reckoned that the port is losing $15 million a day.

It is reckoned the bridge can be rebuilt for an estimated $40 million

The US Government has allocated $60 million in "help".

Go figure.

How would anyone even begin to work it out? 
Well above my pay grade.

Wouldn't like to think how much it's going to cost just to clear the debris and get the 'site' ready for a new construction !? All these figures getting banded about are going to be nothing close [guessing] to the end figures. Anyway,,,, cost doesn't really matter, the bridge need rebuilding, whether in the same or different position.

Biden has already said that the American Government would foot the bill for a new bridge. Of course he was speaking out of turn in a blatant attempt at vote gathering. He will be long gone before that bridge is rebuilt.

4 hours ago, old man said:

I bet there are a few "Lloyd's names" with twitchy rears?

they will still get their bonuses....................you have to do something pretty dire not to get yer bonus