Wearing a poppy

digger

Been wearing my poppy since they came on sale this year. Wear one on my work coat and seem to be the only one where I work who does. Are people wearing them where you work or have they very short memories ? Boils my urine that they are sold as much for sixty years ago as now as we still lose troops daily.

with pride as many do here, as is said, its sad to see the demise of many old warriors, i for one will always remember, the coverage in Canada seems to me to be very upfront, every day for since the first there are dedications on the tv, the pride here is strong, i lost my poppy avatar but found a very touching one instead.

lest we forget boys and girls.

Martin

Plenty of people spend a fortune celebrating a traitor (Guy Fawkes) but very few will support those who have laid down their lives to allow us to live in the ****hole that we do today!

wear it with pride :blush:

The anniversary of 5th November 1605 is not remembered to celebrated the traitors Guy Fawkes, Robert Catesby and Co. It's held to celebrate the failure of the (Catholic) plotters to kill the (Protestant) King, James I. And it was in celebration of his survival that King James ordered, that the people of England should hold a great bonfire, on the night of November 5th. For many years after the event it was simply an opportunity to remind the Catholic minority who was in charge.

Back on topic, I can remember my early school days when there was 100% observance of poppy wearing, I feel certain that today, a good (sic) number of Britain's schools wouldn't even allow them to be sold on the premises, now. :good:

I try to buy my poppies from an old boy (or girl) will a chest full of medals and a RBL tie etc, but sadly, there's less and less of our old heros & heroines about. I wouldn't buy one from most of the petrol station where I live and work, as I'm sure the ******** therein would happy take the donations and send them to brother Osama to fight the good fight. :good:

Our family wear our poppies with pride and give a generous donation each year. Like an earlier post we will only buy from an old soldier as it seems fair to support his effort, standing often on a cold and draughty street.

Mrs D2D works for a French company with 80% French/Polish nationals making up the workforce, of that there are approx 20 French managers average age 30yrs, NOT ONE IN 10YRS HAS EVER WORN A POPPY, despite Mrs D,s efforts to educate them.

They are arrogant beyond believe and are firmly and openly of the opinion that the English are stupid and lazy, hence the imported workforce.

Poppies are a symbol of the sacrifice made by the very many soldiers of the commonwealth and of their blood spilt on the fields of Flanders in the great war and as such IMO represent a memorial to all servicemen past and present who gave their all.

We must not forget that the proceeds of the sales of these Poppies are used to give much needed support to todays service personnel currently in Iraq and Afgan, who as shown in another post recently are being woefully let down by this government.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but this one hits a nerve, the fact that it gets dumbed down in schools etc really annoys me.

:good: D2D

Every year without fail to recognise the efforts of those mem and women who make the greatest sacrifice for the rest of us.

I guess some schools might not sell them for fear of the children hurting themselves on the pins :good:

Can't find any up here with pins just the plastic stalk.

I can honestly say that our schools here still hold Rememberance Day up front and with pride. There is an assembley each year with a minute of silence observerd on the 11th day at the 11th hour of the 11th month. The legionars are in attendance speading themselves out around the area so all schools have them in attendance. There is also a community service where reefs are placed and attended by hounor guard.

Rememberance Day is a very special one to me as I have ancestors that fell in both WW1 and WW2 and cousins that have served in several of the mid east conflicts aswell. For that matter I have ancestors that fought in the 7 years war....Navy......and as Butler Rangers when this Great Country fought for its independance, aswell as in the war of 1812. To all of them and to every other Man and Women that served this and all allied Countries I am Proud and so very grateful for the freedoms they have afforded us today.

Wear a Poppy with Pride.

NTTF