Dodecahedron

old'un

8 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Strange that no one knows what its for,  maybe at 8cms its part of a game, roll the dodecahedron and if the token falls out you win a Christian

Hello, interesting thought, i found a nice Roman Dice in VGC when i did a lot of Metal Detecting so we know they played some sort of indoor games, it was a 6 sider known as a Tesserae, looking at this object, what about if they placed different size balls inside and rolled it to see which one came out first ??

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Strange that no one knows what its for,  maybe at 8cms its part of a game, roll the dodecahedron and if the token falls out you win a Christian

I like the idea, you roll the dodecahedron and a token or ball of the correct size falls out, don't know about winning a Christian though. :)

Or could it just be an ornament of the time? Mind you the amount of work involved in making them would suggest an object of more importance.

Edited by old'un

56 minutes ago, old'un said:

I like the idea, you roll the dodecahedron and a token or ball of the correct size falls out, don't know about winning a Christian though. :)

Or could it just be an ornament of the time? Mind you the amount of work involved in making them would suggest an object of more importance.

It would bring a bit of variety into the Christians week

1 hour ago, old'un said:

this is excsactly what i think.....the holes are of a different size and i think it is missing a ball......it is thrown and if the ball falls out of the hole ...there isthe chance of winning or losing...............might be played with something else ie: tokens ...or counters..........

think you are spot on OLDUN

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

this is excsactly what i think.....the holes are of a different size and i think it is missing a ball......it is thrown and if the ball falls out of the hole ...there isthe chance of winning or losing...............might be played with something else ie: tokens ...or counters..........

think you are spot on OLDUN

If they were used in such a way they would always come to rest on 5 balls with one hole facing skyward and one facing down, having said that, I would have thought the experts would have looked for signs of wear on the balls from rolling it across the ground? Mind you some of the balls do look a bit worn/flattened?

No idea why people say they don't know what they are for. 

Very well known that they are for knitting and plenty of videos demonstrating this.

We used to do similar as kids with a wooden cotton reel and 4 nails in it.

Edited by 39TDS

11 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Did none of you lot have one of these as a kid, or your sister maybe.

The lost art of french knitting – The Green Dragonfly

yes I did have one as a kid, but...I don't believe that was there function, bronze was an expensive material back then, it would have taken skill and time to make them, it would have been an expensive item for making willy warmers. :hmm:

There was a snippet about these on the beeb's breakfast news this morning. Expert said "We think it had some sort of religious context,,,," DOHHH !!! Obviously never heard of PW and all its eggspurts 🤭🤣