Two Huntsmen Were Fined Today £1700 Each For Illeagal Fox Hunting

marsh man

Two huntsmen whose dogs killed a Fox in a ladies private garden last February were fined £1700 each today in the Great Yarmouth courts , the other members of the hunt were let off as they were to far away from the dogs to be able to control them ,  

Seem strange that all the other members that were either on horseback or maybe following by foot were let off scot free , I would had thought they might have been charged with adding and abetting , but no , according to the report they were to far away from the pack of hounds to have any control . :hmm:   MM

This was a trail hunt that ended with a fox being pushed up from what I have read. Is that illegal or part of the loophole yet it happened in an anti hunt back garden?? 

I don't know a huge amount of detail other than fox got up hounds did what hounds do... 

50 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

This was a trail hunt that ended with a fox being pushed up from what I have read. Is that illegal or part of the loophole yet it happened in an anti hunt back garden?? 

I don't know a huge amount of detail other than fox got up hounds did what hounds do... 

Some member might be able to show you / us the video that the  c c t v on the house took where the Fox was trapped in the back garden that had a swimming pool and the huntsman came into the garden to retrieve the Fox , I believe the house owner then had to clear the blood ect. up ,   not suitable for children to watch , and many older folk come to that .     MM

On 19/07/2024 at 21:41, marsh man said:

Seem strange that all the other members that were either on horseback or maybe following by foot were let off scot free , I would had thought they might have been charged with adding and abetting , but no , according to the report they were to far away from the pack of hounds to have any control .    MM

Once the pack gets the scent I don't believe anyone can control them.

It's a moot point whether they intended the dogs to pick up on a fox as they were probably drag hunting

7 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Totally unacceptable in my view. If they can't be controlled, what stops them attacking someones dog or child. If they can't control them, they shouldn't be doing it. 

29 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It's a moot point whether they intended the dogs to pick up on a fox as they were probably drag hunting

This ^^^

6 hours ago, hushpower said:

Dogs not dogs Hounds if you please   lol

This is what the prosecutors said , prosecutors argued that on the 8th of February and the 20th February 2023 , dogs on two trial hunts were dangerously out of control causing criminal damage and killing a Fox .

Note they called them dogs and not hounds :hmm:

15 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Totally unacceptable in my view. If they can't be controlled, what stops them attacking someones dog or child. If they can't control them, they shouldn't be doing it. 

This was the second time in a matter of weeks on two different places they were mentioned, but each time they said they were trial hunting and that seem to be the loophole .  

31 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

That has happened. Dogs are dogs

What does that mean? I have dogs but they're always under close control. Running packs of dogs out of control, particularly around residential areas, is not dogs being dogs. It's people being idiots. 

6 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

What does that mean? I have dogs but they're always under close control. Running packs of dogs out of control, particularly around residential areas, is not dogs being dogs. It's people being idiots. 

I agree, I've never seen the point or the pleasure in the hunt

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I agree, I've never seen the point or the pleasure in the hunt

That's fine and your thoughts are to be respected.

When I first got into fox hunting, firstly following on foot then being mounted on friends horses I soon realised that to some people hunting was all consuming. Work and social lives revolved around it. I was swept up by it. It can be incredibly exciting.

That was a fair few years ago now. Times have changed. Public opinion has changed. The Law has changed.

I still enjoy a day out on foot. Watching hounds work is quite something. 

Not really my cup of tea but wouldn’t go against it people that shoot hunt , fish should all back one another strength in numbers and all that. Even though we don’t all agree on some subjects on here we still all have a similar interest. 

I'm 75 this year and I've followed fox hounds, beagles, otter hounds, mink hounds, dug badgers and foxes, ratted and rabbited with terriers and ferrets, stalked deer, shot game, shot big bags of woodies and crows (that some could only dream of) wild fowled and punt gunned all over the country, caught big fish pike up to 30lbs, 20lbs salmon big wild brown trout, sea trout and more.

My time is coming to an end and I've been lucky that I caught the end of the good times. There's a wedge getting driven into field sports and some on this site are helping to hammer it in. A few of the comments sadly show a complete lack of understanding and knowledge of hunting. At least with a pack of hounds the death though violent is quick and by nature's rules, nothing gets away with hole in it. Indeed all field sports have a unintentional cruel element, but nature is far far more cruel. 

Once they've totally banned hunting, ratting, and rabbiting etc with dogs they'll concentrate on shooting.

Rant over,

If you want me to quietly fek off I will.

3 minutes ago, cash1 said:

I'm 75 this year and I've followed fox hounds, beagles, otter hounds, mink hounds, dug badgers and foxes, ratted and rabbited with terriers and ferrets, stalked deer, shot game, shot big bags of woodies and crows (that some could only dream of) wild fowled and punt gunned all over the country, caught big fish pike up to 30lbs, 20lbs salmon big wild brown trout, sea trout and more.

My time is coming to an end and I've been lucky that I caught the end of the good times. There's a wedge getting driven into field sports and some on this site are helping to hammer it in. A few of the comments sadly show a complete lack of understanding and knowledge of hunting. At least with a pack of hounds the death though violent is quick and by nature's rules, nothing gets away with hole in it. Indeed all field sports have a unintentional cruel element, but nature is far far more cruel. 

Once they've totally banned hunting, ratting, and rabbiting etc with dogs they'll concentrate on shooting.

Rant over,

If you want me to quietly fek off I will.

No rant, pure emotion. More please.

On 19/07/2024 at 20:41, marsh man said:

Seem strange that all the other members that were either on horseback or maybe following by foot were let off scot free , I would had thought they might have been charged with adding and abetting , but no , according to the report they were to far away from the pack of hounds to have any control .    MM

It does. Should an event go pear shaped then surely everyone actively involved in it must accept responsibility. Isn't this what Joint Enterprise is all about should the pear shape have an illegal element to it? What chance a precedence has been set I wonder - haven't a clue about these things

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think they are mostly clay shooters, so are not actually field sportsmen.

They've already banned rabbiting with dogs in Scotland, I don't think it will be long until it happens in the rest of the country, then I fear as Cash1 says they'll turn to shooting and fishing. I'm fortunate enough to have ran dogs, followed hounds and participated in a few aspects of other fieldsports in my 60 years on this planet, I'm gutted that my 3 grandsons will not be able to participate in what I have throughly loved.