What's your off roader?

Vegeta

Hey all,

as some of you may know I am in the market for a decent all round hunting wagon.

I really like the Isuzu trooper (a decent one can be picked up for reasonable money) but the 3.1td is only good for about 25-28 mpg so I am not sure if I can swallow that pill.

So I ask what is your hunting wagon and what mpg does it regularly do?

G

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 2.5 LWB Pajero- fantastic motor but poor at MPG. Around town I get 20 mpg. I recently did a long run and got 26 mpg, my pump is adjusted for power and not economy tho. 4x4s are NOT cheap to run. Mind you running on biodiesel at 42ppl isn't bad tho!

Toyota Surf 3.0 td auto H/L ratio + 4wd, gets taken seriously off road and driven on motorways.

On standard rural and motorway driving I get 29 mpg (this from the average of three separate tests, taking into account conversions from litres to gallons/ kilometres to miles, a rounding down was allowed).

I have a Landrober 90 with 3.0l v6 conversion. Probably lucky to reach 20mpg.

Out of interest, and I am not having a pop why are you going for an trooper. Now I may be wrong as I am new to the shooting wagon scene but I did alot of research. Pretty everyone said landrover for its ability off road, its cost, parts are cheap, useability etc I could go on, the abilty to shoot out the window , the ability to get a rag top etc etc I coils go on.

I am writing an arrticle on shooting wagons and would be interested in why you are going against the landrover grain.

I don't fancy the land rover for the 50 mile round trip to work everyday. I'm hoping to get one vehicle to suit both work trips and shooting.

Want a reliable SWB (would get a LWB if the mpg and price were right) jeep that is around 5000 euro and will do 32-35 mpg (probably dreaming). So I thought how best than to ask the helpful chaps on PW

Ya dig?

Well i am sure i will get some stick for this but i have a land rover freelander swb. it is a hard top but the roof comes off the back it is perfect for lamping etc. so i just use the roofrack with some foam around the bars as a cage to stand in so you don't fall out lol.

i get about 30-35 mpg or more in general. i like it as i have to travel for quite a while to get to the permission so it isn't quite as slow as the 90 and can be used as a normal road car just as well. i havn't yet taken it seriously offroad yet but in the summer i will test it properly to see what it can do, but i have heard from other freelander owners that they are fantastic offroad and will easily keep up with what everyone else is driving.

Edited by charlie 1

I have a Landrober 90 with 3.0l v6 conversion. Probably lucky to reach 20mpg.

Out of interest, and I am not having a pop why are you going for an trooper. Now I may be wrong as I am new to the shooting wagon scene but I did alot of research. Pretty everyone said landrover for its ability off road, its cost, parts are cheap, useability etc I could go on, the abilty to shoot out the window , the ability to get a rag top etc etc I coils go on.

I am writing an arrticle on shooting wagons and would be interested in why you are going against the landrover grain.

wait till you've fixed it a few times, people go Jap for reliability parts may be more expensive but you don't need as many of them.

I've a fourtrak, I get 26-28mpg depending how much time it spends off road, my trip to work is all lanes so its not bad plus having a company fuel card means its cheap to run :good:

I've done about 40K miles in it and apart from service parts I've needed a rear brake piston and a steering Idler. I also swapped the shocks and rear springs but thats it no other problems. It will do 80 on the motorway at a push has electric most things and generally is more comfortable

my series 2 discovery 2.5tdi does the high twenties low thirties on a run and mid to low twenties around town. it does better than my Shogun used to do and does better than the OH toyota Surf 2.5TD.

I don't believe that you will get any older type 4X4 to do any better MPG than mid twenties on average as its not what they are built for and far too heavy you may get better MPG with a smaller type like the Rav 4 or Vitara types I guess but don't know what they drive like

Ian

I drive an L200, get about 30mpg from it. It works well off road and is reliable, as well as being relatively comfortable. You can stand on the back (mobile high seat) and get a mate to drive. It has switchable 4WD, low range and diff lock so you get better economy on the road and good performance off. It's better on wet grass and mud than my 2 landys were (unless the ruts are deep).

I know a guy on here with a Jeep. From what he says off road comfort is quite a lot like rolling down a hill in a dustbin, but then he also drives an old Range Rover which in its day was the best you could get :good:

Hilux surf. 3.0 td INTERCOOLER. The intercooler makes all the difference on a Surf. 140bhp 333ft/lbs of torque.

Performance and power and economy. Better on fuel due to the power/weight ratio. 30 mpg no problem.More if you're a bit light footed.

Loads of room. Bit harder to find than an ordinary hilux surf though.

My dad has a SWB Trooper and if he ever sells it, I am buying it off him. It just drives so well on the road and can go anywhere off. It is his work van with no rear windows and is perfect for slinging kit in the back and getting where you need to go. Any time I drive it I am amazed by how nicely it drives. His is a 3.2 TD on a W plate, not sure what sort of economy it returns though. Interior and spec are a bit basic, but that would not put me off.

As said, Jap cars may be more expensive on parts, but they rarely need them. I have a Honda HRV LWB, it is my first Jap car, and the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Edited by AdamC

I've had two Subaru Foresters, with both doing almost 120,000 before I got rid. 100% reliable and the huge sunroof was brilliant for shooting out of. 2 litre petrol engine that averaged c.34 mpg. Superb off-road with full-time 4wd. Also additional low ratio box that you could change with one finger on the move.

Then had a Honda CRV (diesel) for a short time, that averaged c.38 mpg.

Don