Yet another how did we get on today thread..........

Evil Elvis

Well, lets get young Chard to don his Ray Bans and get down to the sunny 'sarf in mid September to shoot the 200 Birder.??

I'm sure It'll be a goodun, even though they'll be a lot of "sky" around most of those birds. i.e. plenty of room to miss.

Today was a bit of a mare for me, did a 101 ex 120 at Southdown :lol::) , followed by a 90 ex 100 at the Horne, Gatton Bottom, a real doomer, :yes: , still, like to think I'm saving myself for the British in 2 weeks time..??

Cat.

Mate, I clocked the score sheet last night, and that must've been one humdinger of a shoot, fairly good turn out with very few scores of 100 or over (only 2 in A class from an entry of 20 ish) as i understand it the course was set by Peckam Jnr who always seems to want to put on ridiculous demoralising shoots when his ol man's away. Feel sorry for the C class shooters who would've took a big hit on their average.

PS if Chard had've come he probably would've got over a ton

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I did shoot a couple of tough stands well, but I had a real ****** on one stand half way down the track on the right hand side, a report pair of R/L crossers, killed the first pair but backended both of them so gave the next pair a tad more, smoked them both, but then went & missed the next 2 pairs out, over the top and in front of all of 'em. :):yes:

So 4 down on a stand I should have straighted, I don't do that too often..!! ???

My mate was very critical of the amount of no birds being thrown, apparently Dave has invested in some "super soft" clays, trouble is so many were breaking on the arm.

Was thinking of going back on Sunday to do the next 100 birder plus the Sportrap, but will probably end up doing Doveridge & Kegworth, both good grounds worth the 250 mile round trip, (that's if I don't go Pigeon shooting instead..!! :lol: )

How did Diggy get on at Southdown?

Cat.

Hi Cat, your right about Doveridge being a good ground though I would'nt put Kegworth in the same league. It will be worth the journey to Doveridge if your shooting the British the week after at Southern Counties. I shall be going to Doveridge & the British so hope to see there. :thanks:

Yeah, I did shoot a couple of tough stands well, but I had a real ****** on one stand half way down the track on the right hand side, a report pair of R/L crossers, killed the first pair but backended both of them so gave the next pair a tad more, smoked them both, but then went & missed the next 2 pairs out, over the top and in front of all of 'em. :thanks::lol:

So 4 down on a stand I should have straighted, I don't do that too often..!! :lol:

My mate was very critical of the amount of no birds being thrown, apparently Dave has invested in some "super soft" clays, trouble is so many were breaking on the arm.

Was thinking of going back on Sunday to do the next 100 birder plus the Sportrap, but will probably end up doing Doveridge & Kegworth, both good grounds worth the 250 mile round trip, (that's if I don't go Pigeon shooting instead..!! :lol: )

How did Diggy get on at Southdown?

Cat.

Think the Weedmeister had a 110, runner up to H. Duvals' 111

Popped down to JJs today and shot 67 ex 84. Wasn't that pleased until one of the top A Class shots put in a 72 which was the highest score when I left.

Also bumped into another of our fine forum members at the ground who I'm please to say, ahem, put in a lower score than mine :yp:

I won't mention his name (as I'm not into bragging rights) only to say his initials are PDLM, good to see you again B)

Mung - drove back fully laden with the procedes of your win from last week......

Went out to Copfurn today with Lucky Dave and Mr. & Mrs. Broken Man.

Dave managed to brake his Beretta - fired both barrels and the top lever went. His gun wouldn't open, so he borrowed mine.

Just after he used my gun I was 4 shots in and my gun went, but this time the first barrel fired and the gun locked up and wouldn't do anything. So there I had a live shotgun (with one up the spout) and no response from the trigger or top lever. Deep joy. Thanks to the Essex Gun team who were at Copfurn and to Olly for supplying the brute force and who got the gun open and saw that the bottom firing pin had stuck and locked the gun shut.

I still managed a half tidy 67/80 with Carl's gun.

Popped down to JJs today and shot 67 ex 84. Wasn't that pleased until one of the top A Class shots put in a 72 which was the highest score when I left.

Also bumped into another of our fine forum members at the ground who I'm please to say, ahem, put in a lower score than mine :yp:

I won't mention his name (as I'm not into bragging rights) only to say his initials are PDLM, good to see you again :)

Mung - drove back fully laden with the procedes of your win from last week......

B) You shot really well today Bagsy. We both got 10/12 on the troublesome stand, number 6 I think with the two rising crossers from left to right.

I ended up on 62/84, which is a bit of a crash after last weeks upper.

We also got 1st and 2nd in the Cabbage class © so trophies for us. :lol:

Edited by Peter De La Mare

We both got 10/12 on the troublesome stand, number 6 I think with the two rising crossers from left to right.

Ah, that stand, the first two pairs I took the right bird first missing the left one both times. Then I heard the voice of a familiar member pop into my head telling me to 'take the left bird first'......I hit the next 8 spot on B) I struggled with the midi's on stand 2 that came overhead from behind.

I see that overall the scores are down compared to last week, I reckon we had a harder shoot :)

Top tip - check your card after each stand, the scorers aren't always the most observant down there and are known to get bored occasionally :yp:

"Nipped" down to Doveridge htis afternoon to shoot 100 Reg Sporting. Finished on an OK 84, yet still a little disappointed given I dropped 9 daft targets on my last 3 stands :yp:

Claybuster was also there and shot rrrather well. :yes:

Paulos,

I did Doveridge first thing, was going fine until the second but last stand, (No 1), a not too difficult R/L crosser followed by a midi quartering away R/L, had a total mental block.. :D :o :o , missed 6 out of 8, unbelievable.., finished on a lowly 86. B) :)

Undeterred :lol: , I then stopped off at Kegworth, a real "Bread & Butter" shoot, virtually every bird a gimme, I missed 5 silly birds to finish on a 95, I knew it wasn't good enough, sure enough my mate young Ed Solomons did a 97, I came 2nd but didn't really deserve it, some basic mistakes cost me dear, if ever there was a layout that should have been straighted, that was it, ah well...roll on next weekend, I'll settle for a 95 then. :yes::yes:

Cat.

Yes, well,...........with the greatest of respect Peter...........you've probably not been at this game very long, it's all about building up a "picture book" of experience in your mind, the idea being that whatever target you come across, you can always say..."I've seen that one before", and you know how to shoot it, it becomes second nature after a while, that's why it's so galling when you miss one or two you know you should have hit. :yp: B)

Cat.

Yes, well,...........with the greatest of respect Peter...........you've probably not been at this game very long, it's all about building up a "picture book" of experience in your mind, the idea being that whatever target you come across, you can always say..."I've seen that one before", and you know how to shoot it, it becomes second nature after a while, that's why it's so galling when you miss one or two you know you should have hit. :stupid::hmm:

Cat.

Hi Cat, I shot Doveridge yesterday also, I met Paulos just when he was starting & I didnt know it was you until I had spoken to Paulos that it was shooting just in front of me. I like you had a block of some kind and missed 4 out of 6 on the simo teal (impos) but I was that ****** off about it I then missed a complete pair at the next stand up the hill urrg. But i managed to pull it back and straightened the last stand at the top of heart attack hill and finished on an 89 hoo if only.

Still it was a great shoot with 14 stands & they have another one on the 30th November (5th sunday) so you can shoot both again if you wish.

R U shooting shooting the Brithish if so what day, I am there on Sat & now I know who U R I will introduce myself.

Hi CB,

Yes, I missed one on that Teal stand, also one of those fast orange ones going up the hill on the next stand too..!! :stupid:

All in all, I thought it was a good layout, at a fair price, (£32.00) and there were certainly a lot of punters there, I still can't get over that stand 1 meltdown..!! :hmm:

I'm doing the British at 1.00pm Saturday, hope to see you there, let's all pray for a few hours of decent weather.

Cheers,

Cat.

Hi Cat, I am also shooting the British on Sat at 1pm straight after the sport trap at 11am so it looks like being a long day and I hope it's not raining again. I think there was 180 entries for Doveridge on sunday and I certainly saw quite a few new faces about, so it goes to show the good grounds will attract plenty of shooters if they put on a good shoot thats value for money.

I think this will be the last time I do the British at CPSA prices, if I had known about the 200 birder at southdown later this month I would have booked that instead. Might still try and shoot southdown if I can get a day of work on the friday, lets hope it's a good as the essex masters.

See you Saturday.

CB

CB,

Yes there's a rumour going around that the ground's been sold to a certain Mr Bamford, of JCB fame, who may want to turn it into a golf course.

Shame, 'cos it's a very easy round to get to, even from my neck of the woods.

The Southdown shoot will be a goodun, with hopefully plenty of testing targets, I'm shooting in a 9.00am squad on the Sunday with Paulos and a few regular mates, really looking forward to it.

See you Saturday,

Cat.

Hi Cat,

The rumour about the Bamford family is because Mr Bamfords son has brought Eaton Hall just next door. I don't think it will happen though JCB estates is a masive land owner around here.

I have shot southdown a couple of times now and they certainly do put testing birds on there.

CB

Got up late expecting it to be hissing down but it wasn't so went to Horne (Court farm) as nothing else on locally

Got there in 50 mins shot round in 50 mins got home in 50, nice

Ended up on an 82 after choking on the last stand (3) with an abysmal 5 ex 10 missed all the first birds over the top and in front doh

The big fella rocked up at the same time and was round in 45 mins with i think a perfect 100