nickb

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I applied for my shot gun certificate by post a week last Friday,had a telephone call on the Monday wanting to arrange a home visit and interview,and on the following day Tuesday had a successful interview and was informed that Greater Manchester Police would grant my application for a shot gun certificate,3 working days in total,I think this could be a record,the service I have had from the licensing unit as been exceptional.

Hi,

I applied for my shot gun certificate by post a week last Friday,had a telephone call on the Monday wanting to arrange a home visit and interview,and on the following day Tuesday had a successful interview and was informed that Greater Manchester Police would grant my application for a shot gun certificate,3 working days in total,I think this could be a record,the service I have had from the licensing unit as been exceptional.

But is the certificate in your hand? From interview and being told that I should get it (subject to checks not turning anything up and I was told that should take 2 weeks) and getting the certificate took ~18 weeks.

3 days does seem very very good, however I am not convinced that they could have done all the checks in that time (although the amount of checking that they do seems to be random).

That sounds fantastic, especially as mine took ~5 months.

I must question whether it is possible to do all of the checks in that time (I presume most should be a quick computer job), or whether they skip some checks (I presume that they couldn't have done a GP check in that time as that takes writing to the GP and getting and processing a reply)? (and curious as to why mine took so long)

So what are you off to spend your money on?

Just got my SGC from Cheshire, 5 weeks and 1 day from posting it (via 2nd class), and 2 weeks and 1 day from getting the visit.

Good service from Ged Illot and his team, considering half the country seems to be on their 6th month waiting :no:

Edited by Richard V

I must question whether it is possible to do all of the checks in that time (I presume most should be a quick computer job), or whether they skip some checks (I presume that they couldn't have done a GP check in that time as that takes writing to the GP and getting and processing a reply)? (and curious as to why mine took so long)

just bought a Beretta silver pigeon, 2 years old and not fired 25 shells,excellent.

already done that, feo said he was reccomending i get the sgc on his visit subject to my dr, well as id already spojen to him i went and gave my local gun shop full payment on a lanber sporting delux... taking the gamle im so bloody happy that it came through

Mine arrived last thursday. 6 mounths 2 weeks 3 days after posting.Hampshire police, with a stern letter of warning following a minor offence back in 98 when i got cautioned for a small amount of puff. Remember to put ALL your convictions on fellas you may forget about them but it seems plod don,t :innocent:

Graham - one of the Firearms Team at Greater Manchester Police - retires in February next year. He is a top lad who has been nothing less than professional, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. He knows his stuff.

He will take a fair bit of replacing. :good: :good: :good:

They don't routinely check with GP, only if you say yes to something like epilepsy or depression etc on your application. At £70+ for a doctors report the entire budget would be blown in a very short time! In Glos they even try to get you to ask (and pay) for the reports so they don't have to bear the cost, despite the HO Guidance.

• 4 weeks later...

hi lads you think you got troubles try hampshire police been waiting 8 months now for a renewal chap came 2 months ago to check cabinets said everything was fine will have licence back within 2 weeks if you phone up they say they got a backlog of 3 months when you phone again its gone up to 6 till 7 months phoned up again today they say its been dealt with the fire arms officer they already told me that 2 months ago so still waiting well hopefully this year i might get it back

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...