.17 hmr moderator

docholiday

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a sak mod on mine ( costs around 30 £ ) and it dulls it down a hell of a lot. Youl never get a mod ( as yet ) for the HMR that will make it as quiet as a .22lr for the reasons already posted.

you can pay upto around £125 but a sak will do the job fine and save you some money.

How on earth can a supersonic crack be made quiet? You can reduce the muzzle bang and blast, but not the noise the bullet makes. I thought that anyone would know that.

How about asking them to make subsonic HMR ammo, which would be about as useful as going out with a .22LR. :welcomeani:

whats the point? why not just use a .22?

Exactly my point. It would defeat the object of owning a 17 if it was a subsonic round, as it'd just ricochet everywhere and wouldn't mushroom as well as the 22 round anyway. I think Doc should just have got a 22lr to go with their air rifle.

Guest topshot_2k
How on earth can a supersonic crack be made quiet? You can reduce the muzzle bang and blast, but not the noise the bullet makes. I thought that anyone would know that.

How about asking them to make subsonic HMR ammo, which would be about as useful as going out with a .22LR. :good:

indeed although a £30 mod makes a massive difference, saves you ears too! also the rabbits dont seem to be that bothered by the crack compared to the muzzle blast. no point in sub sonic though as pointed out.

Thank you, my .17 with the air rifle mod just makes a lot more noise than some I have heared. I appreciate you will not get rid of the supersonic bang, but I am sure I can reduce the muzzle noise more than the presant mod is doing sounds that the sak may be better, anybody else got any helpfull views rather than smat **** comments ?

Doc

I have a Sak on mine and to be honest, you'd be hard to beat it for the price. Some will say the DM80 is marginally better but it isn't anywhere as cheap. I compared my Sak to a Pez and the only difference was a change in tone. At the distances the HMR is useful at, a Sak is all you need. :good:

Thank you, my .17 with the air rifle mod just makes a lot more noise than some I have heared. I appreciate you will not get rid of the supersonic bang, but I am sure I can reduce the muzzle noise more than the presant mod is doing sounds that the sak may be better, anybody else got any helpfull views rather than smat **** comments ?

Doc

Well a non-smart **** comment would be to not use an airgun sound moderator on a rifle which generates about 25,000psi inside the chamber.

If you want a quiet rifle, you have to pay a decent amount. I parted with £160 for my sound mod (which is quite cheap in comparison to some sound mods) for my 17 and you can certainly hear the difference if I take it off.

I am guessing that you have just attached your air rifle sound mod to your 17, to see what it's like. However if that's the case, you are now in possession of a section 1 sound mod, which should always be kept in the cabinet and should be written on your ticket. You might land yourself in a bit of trouble if someone were to do a check on you whilst you are out shooting.

I bought a .17HMR yesterday and the shop manager recommended to go for a SAK at £35.

Some say the SAK burns out quickly - this shop manager countered that by suggesting to put a new one on each year. His advice was to go for the cheaper SAK. Nice to have a salesman recommmed a cheap option for a change!

As opinions differ so widely which moderator is the best, I am inclined to go for the budget (SAK) option myself.

Other often recommended moderators for .17HMR are: Wildcat Whisper (£120), DM-80 (£80) , and the ASE Utra (£??)

Well a non-smart **** comment would be to not use an airgun sound moderator on a rifle which generates about 25,000psi inside the chamber.

I think he has a good point here bud, get a proper rimfire mod for it before something dangerous happens.

I have the ase utra on mine, cost £60 and when compared to my friends sak there was next to nothing in it.

I have heard people rave about the dm80 but they are a bit pricey and i believe there may be a long wait to get your hands on one. They do come up for sale second hand if you keep your eyes open but they have to be made for the right model of gun obviously becaus ethey are over barrel jobies. When they do come up you have to be damn quick as people snap them up!

I think he has a good point here bud, get a proper rimfire mod for it before something dangerous happens.

I have the ase utra on mine, cost £60 and when compared to my friends sak there was next to nothing in it.

I have heard people rave about the dm80 but they are a bit pricey and i believe there may be a long wait to get your hands on one. They do come up for sale second hand if you keep your eyes open but they have to be made for the right model of gun obviously becaus ethey are over barrel jobies. When they do come up you have to be damn quick as people snap them up!

ASE utra far better than a sak in my opinion but everyone to there own :sly::birthday:

Edited by hawkeye

Guest topshot_2k

there is nothing wrong with the SAK it is perfectly safe to use on 17hmr, people i know have had them tested at the proof house

Edited by topshot_2k

I have a Wildcat Whisper & wouldn't change it for anything else. It totally silences the muzzle blast, (all i hear is the firing pin click) then the crack from the round going supersonic out there somewhere.

Not cheap, but works well, excellent engineering, easily stripable & looks better than the rest. I got mine for £110.00 through local RFD.

Cheers,

Terry.