magnet in a tree

McF

Now that the game season is over attentions turn to roost shooting pigeon throughout Febuary.

I was wondering how to attract the pigeons into the trees or close to the tree tops, i have tried lofting poles many years ago with little success as i always seemed to want to get the decoys higher than i could reach.

However today i was thinking of ways you could get a magnet into the top of a tree and would it have the desired affect.

I know the magnet would have to be clear of the very top branches for the arms to spin, and also thought to shorten the arms so that they dont bounce around as much in the wind.

I would use rachet straps to secure the magnet to the tree.

So heres the question as anyone on here ever tried this if so your as mad as me :good: , and also if you have tried it did it work ?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen

I have shot with McF for more than a decade. During that time, he has come up with some right crackpot ideas, and expected me to engineer the product of his brain cell.

With reference to his latest brain wave, sorry cell function, I must report that he came around to my house earlier this evening, fully charged with thoughts of his latest creation. I will admit that the ratchet strap bit is my contribution. McF changed the topic of conversation when I enquired as to how the device was to attain McFs desired height. The trees on our shoot are shall we say mature. Ladders would be useless. I doubt that he will get a cherry picker anywhere near, and advised him so. He left my home intent on digging out his best climbing wellies in readiness for Saturday. In the meantime mrs. McF is checking the policies, and I've been next door to retrieve my black tie in anticipation of a church service.

Never let it be said that McF was not dedicated to his sport, and its pursuit to the nth degree. Rest assured McF. I'll hold your coat, and call the air ambulance. I'm just about to look up the OS map co ordinates to store in my mobile.

webber

The practicalities of getting a magnet high enough to attract wood pigeons are almost imposable unless you have a high fork lift. However I have used a magnet with some success on a grass field next to the edge of a large wood. A few pigeons did buzz the magnet , but many were attracted to the close by trees.

I think this could be one of those suggestions that might work, but the effort required for the potential gain would not make it worthwhile.

Roost shooting is usually only over a couple of hours and I have had a lot of success without even using lofted decoys.

Just observe the roost and see which entry the birds prefer (subject to wind direction) and where they like to end up.

Be prepared to move if necessary.

Dear McF

I've worked out how to satisfy your design brief.

Forget fastening the magnet to a tree.

You need to acquire a pneumatic telescopic aerial mast. You can fasten the magnet to it, we can tow it round to the desired spot, and pump up the contraption to the desired height.

No. I'm not buying one.

No, I'm not making one, not that I can't, I'm just not.

You could try looking in Exchange & Mart, or contact Lancs Lad, he's ex signals, so may have some contacts.

webber

I think this could be one of those suggestions that might work, but the effort required for the potential gain would not make it worthwhile.

Roost shooting is usually only over a couple of hours and I have had a lot of success without even using lofted decoys.

Just observe the roost and see which entry the birds prefer (subject to wind direction) and where they like to end up.

Be prepared to move if necessary.

Cranfield

You don't know McF.

He won't rest untill he knows that it will work or not. Nothing will get in his way.

I can only hope that February passes quickly, and that McF's latest cracked pot idea will wayne.

webber

Good luck lugging the magnet and a batery, plus two dead pigeons (that you'll probably have to fix on) to the very top of a tree.... Remember that the branches get ery thin at the top, so i really don't know where you'll fix it to.

If it works well on the ground, just leave it there :good:

I think it would be a lot easier to make a radio control single decoy which rotates or moves its wings - suspended from a hook rather like a lofting pole. Most of what you need would be in one of those cheapo r/c electric cars including the power source and gears etc.

It would be relatively easy to get it to tilt/nod by activating an extended servo horn, or cut open and assemble the parts inside a deek with a wheel that would turn it around on a base that holds a gel battery. Just turn it on if a potential victim flies by.

Hey guys ive obviously got some of you thinking about this and others that think its a crazy idea, or that i am crazy (webber) :good:

However i have now thought of attaching the magnet to a telescopic pole i,e an hide pole that should give me an 8ft extension so that i will be able to poke it above the top branches without me having to actualy get to the very top of the tree.

I use to be a class act when climbing trees when i was younger you know birds eggs and all that, all though im 46 now i will probably opt for a smaller tree. :good:

As the saying goes he who dares !!!!!!!!!!!

Still hoping for some ideas from you lot though. :good:

I'd bin the idea of a magnet up a tree its bound to end in tears :good:

I have also been thinking of a way of creating pigeon movement up a tree & I've come up with a simple solution for getting a Shootwarehouse flapper attached to the lofting poles with the small battery duct taped to the underside of the housing.

I've yet to try it out in the field but I'm confident it will work alongside other lofted deeks :good:

SS

Gentlemen

I have shot with McF for more than a decade. During that time, he has come up with some right crackpot ideas, and expected me to engineer the product of his brain cell.

With reference to his latest brain wave, sorry cell function, I must report that he came around to my house earlier this evening, fully charged with thoughts of his latest creation. I will admit that the ratchet strap bit is my contribution. McF changed the topic of conversation when I enquired as to how the device was to attain McFs desired height. The trees on our shoot are shall we say mature. Ladders would be useless. I doubt that he will get a cherry picker anywhere near, and advised him so. He left my home intent on digging out his best climbing wellies in readiness for Saturday. In the meantime mrs. McF is checking the policies, and I've been next door to retrieve my black tie in anticipation of a church service.

Never let it be said that McF was not dedicated to his sport, and its pursuit to the nth degree. Rest assured McF. I'll hold your coat, and call the air ambulance. I'm just about to look up the OS map co ordinates to store in my mobile.

webber

:good::good::good::D:good:

The idea is not as crazy as you may think . I have set my rotary on the top of a hedge between two rape fields and it was easy to set up ,just tied it into the hedge with baling twine . I think that a rotary in the top of a tree would work wonders . How about a couple of television ariel mast poles joined together and the rotary on top up against a tree .

Harnser .

Hey guys ive obviously got some of you thinking about this and others that think its a crazy idea, or that i am crazy (webber) :D

However i have now thought of attaching the magnet to a telescopic pole i,e an hide pole that should give me an 8ft extension so that i will be able to poke it above the top branches without me having to actualy get to the very top of the tree.

I use to be a class act when climbing trees when i was younger you know birds eggs and all that, all though im 46 now i will probably opt for a smaller tree. :good:

As the saying goes he who dares !!!!!!!!!!!

Still hoping for some ideas from you lot though. :good:

Ever heard the saying 'THE OLDER YOU GET THE BETTER YOU USED TO BE' :good:

How about leaving the motor on the floor next to the battery, make an extension,like lofting poles.

Then all you have to get up the tree is the arms and deeks.

Stands about as much chance as any thing else :good:

Not as outlandish an idea as it may seem. I know of a commercial shoot virtually within earshot of both Mr Webber & Mr McF where the shoot owner has, for his own use, a raised magnet setup but with a plus!

In the middle of a small wood he has built a small scaffold tower up to treetop height (about 30') with a conventional magnet set-up on it. Here's the plus, on a similar tower about 25yds away he has set up a hide!! The bags he has taken from this set-up are spectacular, I've heard of a one just short of 500 and plenty in the 200's.

I've not got a very good head for heights anymore but given the opportunity I'd be up that scaffold like a shot (shot, get it, up to get a shot like a shot).

I have also got a mate who tells me that ladders up to (very) high seats, estimated at about 60', are not uncommon in Northern Ireland, they have a gin wheel to pull up your gun & cartridges. The only problem he said was the ladders, which are homemade, look like death traps and you wouldn't have got him up one for all the tea in China.

So hang in there McF, if you can get a magnet up and working you could be in for some big bags.

Mr Potter

Thanks for that Mr Potter

Webber you need to read his post it came just at the right time, i was beginning to give up on the idea. :)

Ive now got my mind working overtime on the idea again, i know that if i can come up with the plans to get the magnet up there i will be on a winner, and them 250 cartridges you are going to pick up for me may just not be enough. :)

B) :lol::lol::lol:

McF

I've read it.

Before you start telephoning, the two steel towers that we had at work have been scrapped. In anycase they would be no where near high enough, and before you ask, I dont know how many helium balloons it will take to lift a magnet etc, and have no intentions of doing the calculations.

Solutions are:

Telescopic pneumatic aeriel, as previously described, or obtain some those tree climbing spikes and learn how to use them on the tall pines that the pigeon love in our woods.

webber

Come to think of it Mr McF when I reread my post the trick is not to get the magnet up high but the shooter! So Mr Webber's idea of helium balloons just needs them attaching to a nice comfy chair and up you go. One word of caution, check the Darwin Awards as I believe someone tried this, hadn't worked out his return to earth strategy and was last seen (alive)heading toward the stratosphere.

What about a jet pack although I would guess the noise could have a negative effect or really, really long stilts but they might be a bit wobbly with the recoil.

I'm only joking, don't give up, with a bit of luck you'll have the last laugh.

Mr Potter