BLACK PANTHER / CATS...SHOOT IT OR NOT?

I was talking to the Farmer who allows me to shoot on his farm last week and because of rumours of BLACK LARGE CATS in the area over the last few years, I asked him if he had ever seen one. Now this guy is a straight talking no-bull type of guy so what he says you can take as genuine. He says both him and his wife had seen a LARGE BLACK CAT walk across the driveway form field too field when driving into the farm on two occasions.

Now with me in the field twice a week or more I asked him what he would do if something approached him that he could not identify???......He says he would NOT shoot it unless it was going too possibly attack him. This brings me onto two questions......Firstly has anyone when out shooting come across anything AND secondly would you shoot at it?:P

I know if I was to kill a Panther style cat I would be a hero too some but villian too others if my photo hit the local paper !! :hmm:

Edited by winchester energy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll disregard the staggering improbability that it was a big cat (and the even more staggering improbability that it was a panther, a genetic mutation) and the blatant troll-like nature of this thread, for a brief moment.

I have shot big cats in various places around the globe, and can tell you from first-hand experience that they tend not to react well to being dusted with 32g #6s. If you chose foolishly to shoot at the said cat, and didn't kill it outright, you would almost certainly sustain serious, possibly life-threatening injuries. You would be very wise to give any such animal an extremely wide berth, ideally taking a date- and time-stamped photo of the cat against a readily identifiable background, so that we can put this whole, farcical matter to bed once and for all.

the only time to shoot it with a 12 bore is from about 6 foot away, please then post pictures. As Baldrick says if you called it a colour other than black which is a very rare colour for big cats it would have a lot more credibility.

p.s you big nasty man Baldrick shooting sweet looking big cats :hmm:

BALDRICK........I will take that on board as I have no experience with Feline creatures !!.... Personally I would just run or stay still until such a beast was well out of my view.!!. I do not carry a camera when out clearing Pigeon.

As the story being a twist on truths???....Im still out on that one and can only take on board what I have been told as genuine.

I always carry a camera when out shooting, or in the truck/tractor/combine. It gets used to document memorable or important things (like my combine harvester going up in flames and confrontations with straying ramblers).

Should you prove to be the first bloke who gets confronted by a big cat in the British countryside, do nothing. Big cats are rather better at sneaking up on people than you'd credit, so you wouldn't have much choice if it really did want to give you a love bite. Climbing trees, running and playing dead don't work. Maintaining eye contact at all times and retreating slowly to a vehicle or building might work. When you're safe, phone Max Clifford to ask him to publicise your story, and then phone your local plod. Both will be very interested.

Al4x, a good friend of mine was killed and eaten by lions when we were both in Zim, in 1999. Since then I've had a rather clinical approach to shooting big cats.

I saw a big cat about 12 years ago, in Lincolnshire, somewhere in between Barton-upon-Humber and Caistor... Not sure exactly what colour it was, because it was about 100meters away from the road we were driving on. The large cat was in a field that was covered with a layer of snow, though it wasn't snowing at the time, it was quite Sunny, the cat looked quite dark - possibly black but can't be sure. Dad stopped the car on the road, and we watched for about 60 seconds before it ran into some trees. It was definitely feline, we could tell by the way it was moving, and it had a long tail - and it was WAY too big to be a domestic cat. Not sure what it was cos we were quite far away, but we just sat there staring at it in disbelief for a little while. There'd been reports of sightings locally prior to that, but haven't heard anything about similar sightings since then.

Now this guy is a straight talking no-bull type of guy so what he says you can take as genuine.

Unlike the author...

Perhaps wearing tweeds would offer more protection when shooting dangerous big game? Feel free to try it and send us some pictures of the results.

Firstly lets define BIG CATS. I’ve seen one and that’s just what it was a very BIG cat but of the domestic variety NOT a panther, a puma, a lynx, a leopard or any of the other big cats that you see in zoos or wild places in OTHER countries.

For standard big ‘domestic’ cats see Maine Coons. :hmm:

Until someone shoots and photographs one (a big cat of the panther variety) with all the trimmings; time, date, place and witnesses I’m sorry but IMO it’s all just so much hype. :P

If I were to see one (a big cat of the panther variety) and could shoot it I would. I don’t have such an animal listed on my FAC but the law is somewhat vague on the subject and DEFRA seem quite happy that the land owner/occupier can ‘control’ them if they so wish. If all else failed then ‘self preservation’ would be my excuse!

In Devon - Modbury we have had an incident where we can only bring it down to a large cat. One of our heifers was slaughtered in the field. When we went out the next moring to do the rounds it was in bits, and had large claw marks on its hind legs.

The farm next do us has also had an incident where his calfs have been eaten but it still layed there, ALIVE!

Now, this cannot be a dog as a dog would not attack a heifer as it is too large and would be scared.

It cant be a fox as a fox dosent leave the meat, it drags it back to its den and the same as a dog, it wouldnt go after a cow!

A large domestic cat DOES not have this power...

Conclusion, large cat

I know alot of you think this is a load of **** posh but you have to look at the evidance and the past of this country, where large cats were kept as pets.

Just because YOU havent seen it dosent mean its not true. Have YOU ever seen £1million pounds in cash... no... does that mean it does not exist?

Edited by Evoss

Its not illegal to shoot them if you are protecting humans or livestock.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...amp;hl=Big+cats

I have seen several programmes about "Big Cats" and they are always Black Panthers, which genetically are hugely rare. If someone told me they had seen a lynx I might be more inclined to believe them....... As yet I have not seen a sheep carcass that had been carried up into tree branches, and no matter what Rosie Goldsmith said on Radio 4 I have not seen any huge cat poo about the place. The last big cat i saw was at Thrigby Hall and it was behind a very large and substantial fence, which is the best place for them.

ft

Edited by flytie

In Devon - Modbury we have had an incident where we can only bring it down to a large cat. One of our heifers was slaughtered in the field. When we went out the next moring to do the rounds it was in bits, and had large claw marks on its hind legs.

The farm next do us has also had an incident where his calfs have been eaten but it still layed there, ALIVE!

Now, this cannot be a dog as a dog would not attack a heifer as it is too large and would be scared.

It cant be a fox as a fox dosent leave the meat, it drags it back to its den and the same as a dog, it wouldnt go after a cow!

Conclusion, large cat

Yes, but it always seems that when the incidents happen, everyone forgets there camera! what a shame! - I mean people are more than happy to post pictures of a £1000 air-rifle with a single dead rat, but they always forget the camera when its really intresting.

I'm taking a guess you have no pictures of this?

Going back to an earlier post, it would be a whole lot more credible if the cats spotted were of a genetically-common, puma/lynx-type colouring, rather than melanistic.

We had a Maine Coone, but whilst it was pretty sizeable, it never had the courage or mental capacity to stray much beyond the porch, let alone potter round the neighbourhood, terrorising the locals.

Conclusion, large cat

I know alot of you think this is a load of **** posh but you have to look at the evidance and the past of this country, where large cats were kept as pets.

Just because YOU havent seen it dosent mean its not true. Have YOU ever seen ?1million pounds in cash... no... does that mean it does not exist?

There's logic in there somewhere. Can someone help me spot it?

it always surprises me how people forget about this picture

fintona.jpg

the ruc shot a lynx in fintona, think about 13 years ago. anyway im not worried about big cats, wouldnt surprise me if there was some more about though. i always keep a few rounds of sg buckshot strapped to the shotgun for emergency's anyway (as in bulls) so i wouldnt worry too much :look:

I wonder how many people that have spotted black panthers would also claim to have spotted UFOs or even had direct alien encounters.

Spend lots of time in the wilds of the Severn and Teme valley, stay at a place sometimes where the owner swears blind he's seen one on his land.

Carl Sagan - The demon haunted haunted world, a right good read!

At least once the black panther presence is proven we can get onto the real matter at hand, proving the existence of the Pink Panthers! [and no I'm not referring to one of the Essex Mafia in their gaylord outfit(s)]

ATB

Raja

I saw a big cat about 12 years ago, in Lincolnshire, somewhere in between Barton-upon-Humber and Caistor... Not sure exactly what colour it was, because it was about 100meters away from the road we were driving on. The large cat was in a field that was covered with a layer of snow, though it wasn't snowing at the time, it was quite Sunny, the cat looked quite dark - possibly black but can't be sure. Dad stopped the car on the road, and we watched for about 60 seconds before it ran into some trees. It was definitely feline, we could tell by the way it was moving, and it had a long tail - and it was WAY too big to be a domestic cat. Not sure what it was cos we were quite far away, but we just sat there staring at it in disbelief for a little while. There'd been reports of sightings locally prior to that, but haven't heard anything about similar sightings since then.

thats from my part of the world and i also have seen them myself

Despite there being (allegidly) numerous sightings round here-no one has managed to capture it on film and i see a lot of walkers with cameras slung over their shoulders so makes me think these big cat sightings are peoples overactive imaginations.

But would i shoot one if i stumbled upon one while out?

No.Im guessing 32gms of 6 shot would meerly turn a normally shy creature into something a lot more dangerous.

I believe the Fintona Lynx had a collar on when shot? Which suggests it was a recent escaped "pet", rather than living/breeding in the wild? Other than that, I find it very hard to believe that no animal would be shot, killed on the roads, captured in credible images etc if there were breeding populations here. My local paper is forever printing big cat "sightings", I recall one old dear claiming that she had seen more than one "black panther" in her suburban back garden. Until I see a road kill tiger or Clarence the one eyed lion walking past my pigeon hide, I remain a sceptic.

Edited by Blunderbuss

There has been several sightings of a big cat (as every body likes to call them ) on the farms that i shoot on . I have never seen this cat myself and would have thought that i would be the one who would have seen it because of my early in the day and late in the day forays for deer . How ever ,i found a dead swan by one of the ponds that had beed savagely killed and eaten and some footprints in the mud that i couldnot identify . I feel sure that there is a malinistic leopard living in the wild on and around the farms that i shoot on .

My farmer friend is all so convinced that we have a leopard in the area . He was concerned about the calves in the meadows and has asked me to keep an eye out for it . I dont know what the law is ref. shooting one of these cats ,but if i saw one attacking the calves and it was in a shootable postion and i had the .308 with me i would proberbly have to shoot it ,a lot of iffs and i think that just about sums up the big cat thing .

Harnser .

If I ever saw a big cat (which I won't as they don't really exist) I would do my best to stop it. And if that means pulling both trigger loaded up with 2 shells of 42g AAA then I would give it a go.

Lets say, hypothetically, you saw said beast, "aww its amazing...." left it to go on its way. Would you do that to an adult fox, but an adult fox big enough to take cattle/dogs/even people..

All hypothetical of course... not that the situation will ever present itself, but if it did.......