Disposing of live primers

Fill up a jar or tin with used motor oil or the like and immerse them, leave them for a few days then drain them and chuck them in the bin.

Old wives tale which dates from the turn of the century mercury fulminate primers. Doesn't work reliably with modern foil/varnish encapsulated lead stypthnate primers. At least 50% will still go bang after a month in oil. :look:

Wasn't there a link to a utube video test on here a short while back ?

where a guy does the tests on covering primers with WD40, motor oil and the like , leaving them for a long period and then trying them, I forget the results but somethings worked well others didn't.

M.

Glue them to the front of a wadcutter airgun pellet and fire at a suitable target.

There you go. Incendary rounds without needing a sect. 5 exemption. The bunnies won't know what's hit them.

To be honest, I'm with Mungler on this one. Just don't eat them with A hot curry though :look:

Old wives tale which dates from the turn of the century mercury fulminate primers. Doesn't work reliably with modern foil/varnish encapsulated lead stypthnate primers. At least 50% will still go bang after a month in oil. :oops:

Really? I didnt know that.

ZB

You want me to reload unknown components :oops:

Who's going to buy me a new gun when this one goes pop?

Fire them off in empty cases then*. All this advice about oil, burying, chucking in rivers, using as explosive projectiles, etc is too risky and, dare I say it, mildly irresponsible. (Not meant to be abrasive!)

Hell, there ain't that many types of primers used in UK loaded shells that cannot be identified. If there was a degree for identification, then most established homeloaders would be honours graduates.

*'Unidentified' primers are safe to use in blackpowder shells.

Eat them. A day or two later you get to flush them fully camoflaged down the toilet.

Or jam them into the tyre tread of a French lorry driver just as it departs Dover.

Or put them in a catapolt and fire them at a Knightsbridge jeweller's windows for giggles.

P M S L !!!

soak them in WD 40 or plussgas , Never whack them with a hammer unless you have good mates in the A n E Eye department to hold your hand while the pick the bits out your eyes

or like you said load them in an old case and fire them off Still point them in a safe direction

WB