SGC may be lost before its been granted

Hi this is quite a long story but here goes.

A friend of mine has applied for his SGC and has been waiting a month or so for a home visit, while Lincs police carry out some checks on his RAF career !

Here the story begins ! He lives with a lady who has, how do I put this nicely, the 16 year old daughter from hell, there said it as nicely as I can.

I have met this girl and my Christ she is a bloody handful ( not in that sense, dirty ****** you ).

This girl has been taken into care in the past, she has no respect for anyone or anything and last year smashed the house up and hit their 5 year old son. She came back from care to them about a 2 months ago after being away for a good year or so, and within a month was back to her old tricks.

She punched her mother last night, punched holes in walls and again hit the little boy. The police were called and managed to find her roaming the streets, bought her home, told her off and told my mate to speak to social services. At some stage during this conversation a cupboard was opened and the policeman saw the gun cabinet and said " so your a shooter are you, been out lately ? I have a shotgun and don't mind a bit of the old pigeon shooting from time to time ". My mate responded with " no I am waiting on my home visit, I put the cabinet in ready weeks ago but the home visit hasn't happened as yet " to which the policeman replied I am sorry to say I don't think you will be getting a SGC not now we have been here as this house will have a police marker on it ".

As you can imagine my friend is gutted, social services have rang today and will be coming to remove the devil child and take her into care tomorrow, mainly to protect the smaller child, bless him, he doesn't need to see his mum slapped about by his bigger sister.

Do any of you know where my friend stands on this, he got the impression it was to stop her from being able to get access to a gun. The only advice I could muster was to hang on it there give it a week and phone to see if there has been any movement on the RAF reply as yet or a home visit scheduled, I also told him to take out BASC membership, at least he will have their legal eagles to fight his corner should Lincs police decide they will not grant his SGC because of the devil child, even though she will be in care and no longer living there.

Hope you can help.

Thanks Schmoo.

Your opinions or experiences would be appreciated, bless him he is semi retired and this was going to be his hobby.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do feel sorry for your mate, and the others involved, but based on what you describe, I do doubt that the police would grant an SGC.

Maybe when the situation has stabilised he could apply again, ( I know he's not been refused yet); but as long as the wild child has access to the home,I feel that thepolice will play it safe, and rightly so.

webber

I do know of a chap that had his guns taken away from him due to similar circumstances.

He fought very hard to keep them but lost, and this chap did little more with his time than go out shooting.

Shame really but understandable in a way.

Is there any chance your pal can apply for his SGC but to keep the guns in someone else's cab?

I know a few RAF lads who keep them in the station armoury!

Anyone in RAF service accommodation (barracks or married quarters) obliged to keep their guns in the station armoury. However, it sounds as though this poor chap is "ex", but the first part of ben's post makes sense.

Dont give up hope yet,

I too have a wayward daughter...not going into it all again but the end result was a letter from my Licencing dept telling me to consider additional security or store the guns elsewhere.

I still have my SGC, its up for renewal in september but if they were going to revoke, it would have been done now.

if the gun is locked away, and he has the keys how can anyone get in the cabinet,thats the idear of the cabinet.feel sorry for your mate,hope all turns out ok for him.

She will know its there, and one day she may have all the time in the world to get in it. Chances are if she is such a monster she will have equally stupid mates who probably wouldn't mind getting in it either.

Sorry, but I sort of side with the police on this one!

Edited by J@mes

She will know its there, and one day she may have all the time in the world to get in it. Chances are if she is such a monster she will equally stupid mates who probably wouldn't mind getting in it either.

exactly, the only addition is they haven't said no yet. Keep the application in and be sensible and talk to the FEO about options like keeping any guns elsewhere if the need arises

She will know its there, and one day she may have all the time in the world to get in it. Chances are if she is such a monster she will have equally stupid mates who probably wouldn't mind getting in it either.

:yes:

I wouldent want a gun in the house if I was in that situation :no:

I hope he can find someone who will store it for him :good:

The bloke shouldn't have even considered getting a SGC. I'm annoyed that someone would be that stupid.

If you have a child like that, why would you introduce a firearm into the house?? If I fell into this situation, I'd sell all my guns instantly, for the sake of safety.

No matter how hidden the keys are, there's always a risk. A risk this bloke should never take.

Edited by Billy.

This has been done before speak to the FEO they may have a desire to have the gun stored elsewhere (did some one get leaned on not to renew as a son? moved back in with a dodgy past or acquaintances ?) Worth joining the BASC and speaking to the FEO at length, odd the copper said doubt it will happen now but was quite happy that the guy could be a current SGC holder with guns in the house at the time of the incident....

The bloke shouldn't have even considered getting a SGC. I'm annoyed that someone would be that stupid.

If you have a child like that, why would you introduce a firearm into the house?? If I fell into this situation, I'd sell all my guns instantly, for the sake of safety.

No matter how hidden the keys are, there's always a risk. A risk this bloke should never take.

A bit harsh IMO, There are plenty of other items that will be in the house that wont be locked away that are more than capable of causing serious injury or death. I agree with other post's try and find somewhere that the FEO is happy for your friend to store his gun.

Steve

A bit harsh IMO, There are plenty of other items that will be in the house that wont be locked away that are more than capable of causing serious injury or death. I agree with other post's try and find somewhere that the FEO is happy for your friend to store his gun.

Steve

Thanks steve and you other guys who have replied to this thread.

An update, she is going Monday ! Don't know what the delay is in removing her but that is when it is planned for.

I would think the most secure thing in the house would have been the gun, trigger locked, in a locked cabinet, keys for the safe well hidden as would be the keys to the cupboard the cabinet is locked in, he has also fitted a digital number keypad style lock to the cabinet too.

Where does someone draw the line;

remove knifes, forks and spoons, every glass object ?

Thanks for your posts.

Schmoo

The way I understand it is anyone in the house with a criminal record puts you in jeopardy..nowt was mentions she had a criminal record but she's obviously insane :unsure: . If she is removed from the house and resides elsewhere , plus is an adult with no right to be returned then chances are your mate can wash his hands of her and argue his case. May be good reason to bin her out of their lives anyway its the only right thing to do if you did have a shotgun in the house . Good luck to him

Defo, the best idea so far!!

I'll second that too.

You won't believe the battles they have had to get her looked at and to recieve any kind of help. They were at the end of their tethers about 3 years ago, no one would help she had been arrested and bought home, social services didn't want to know, so in desperation they went to their GP for help, hit a brick wall there too. They said to the GP "we have had enough of her we can't cope anymore and it is unsettling their son, the police have been called at least 10 times to sort her out, she has been expelled from countless schools, social services won't help us, we are no leaving till something gets sorted" the GP replied there is nothing I can do. With that they got up and said "well she is yours now we can't cope anymore" and went to leave, he then threatened that he would call the police and they would be likely to be up on a child neglet charge !

World has gone mental, people cry out for help and no ****** will help and other kids are on social service lists as at risk because of neglect from parents and are left to be beaten, used as ashtrays etc etc, mental !

Glad I got that off my chest.

Schmoo

Frankly, there is little or no point discussing this here.

Wait for the visit and see what happens, she will be in care by then apparently, so just what is the problem? :hmm::hmm:

Frankly, I disagree that there is no point discussing the problem here.

If someone has first hand experience of a similar situation their comments are useful.

I also think that some very sensible suggestions have been made in this thread.

Thanks steve and you other guys who have replied to this thread.

An update, she is going Monday ! Don't know what the delay is in removing her but that is when it is planned for.

I would think the most secure thing in the house would have been the gun, trigger locked, in a locked cabinet, keys for the safe well hidden as would be the keys to the cupboard the cabinet is locked in, he has also fitted a digital number keypad style lock to the cabinet too.

Where does someone draw the line;

remove knifes, forks and spoons, every glass object ?

Thanks for your posts.

Schmoo

While it all sounds very secure, the trouble is that the girl could end up with a day on her own and try to work around it all - especially with the help of any delinquent friends she may have. Wouldn't take long to completely turn the house over. Any chance leverage could be used on the cabinet? I know these are things that could happen to anyone who has guns in the house and has kids, but I think this is a bit of a different case. Her behavior clearly shows she has no regard for authority or consequences. Every day items which can be used as weapons are available to anyone, and so probably don't hold much interest. A shotgun in my opinion would hold a very different allure.

I think the gun and any cartridges need to be kept away from the house.

Obviously we don't know all the details but from what you have said, I would be disappointed if BASC did take this case on - it's just asking for trouble.