A long awaited day!

Penelope

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up. I thoroughly enjoyed that. Some day I would love to visit those places. I've read all about them and I'd love to see them (with a gun over my arm!)

I went guided pigeon shooting once in Lincolnshire and I got excited by the road signs denoting places of extreme wildfowling significance!

Edited by Big Al

Very good write up Paul - it was certainly a very memorable day and big thanks go to our guides for their excellent local knowledge.

Happy man

IMG_2396_zps4d76c16e.jpg

Action man

IMG_2404_zps1c3e7bbc.jpg

IMG_2405_zpsceab75f6.jpg

A goose apiece

IMG_2407_zps07e2caa8.jpg

Sunset - looks benign but was blowy

IMG_2414_zpsbef954ec.jpg

IMG_2413_zps9190d999.jpg

Still smiling

IMG_3023_zpsa4e9731d.jpg

Before my second goose arrived - I was amazed quite how high the Washes duck flew despite the wind - there were certainly no easy chances in the evening.

IMG_3027_zpsa7c64b12.jpg

Great report Paul , the weather gods were on your side and I am glad you took part in what can only be described as a flight to be remembered and to go in your diary in red ink. When I had a walk round that path where the bench was put up for Frank Harrison I knew if I lived round that way I would have devoted my lifetime to fowling and finding out what the place had to offer .......Somewhere I could never get tired of.

The problem you have created now Paul is most of the fowlers on this site have started to book up guides and b + b in the area and I would have thought that café will be on a good little earner for breakfasts .............I wonder if they will need a car park attendant :lol:

A great read and a very accurate report, Paul.

It was a great morning, and certainly my best flight of the season. It all just came together so well, it was great that we all got geese. Shame Jules had to go and get greedy.......

I also enjoyed watching the others next door knocking a few geese down, even though it looked at that stage that we might draw a blank.

Well done with the evening flight, too, it must have rounded the day off very nicely.

Greedy!!! shot another one today over another fowlers head ,hows that for greedy . Glad you boys had a good day .

Your post was exceptional. I was with you during my reading of it. Thankfully I am in front of the fire rather than out in that wind and rain and mud.

Can you identify the fowlers on the pictures for us please?

Picture with the three of them, motty on the left, muncher in the middle. Presume Penelope on the right?

Paul first well done on your Pink for a good many years. A serious question you mention the Geese was Tall so (1) how high would you say they was !!!! (2) how many shots did you 4 guns fire at the Geese !!!!

Why does it matter how high they were ?

He said a "little tall but shootable " the fact that they dropped three is testement to the fact he was correct.

In one of your previous posts on another thread you mentioned a high goose you shot but said it was inappropiate to say how high on a forum ???

Edited by fenboy

Why does it matter how high they were ?

He said a "little tall but shootable " the fact that they dropped three is testement to the fact he was correct.

In one of your previous posts on another thread you mentioned a high goose you shot but said it was inappropiate to say how high on a forum ???

There were more than 3 geese shot. Personally, I shot 2 geese for 4 or 5 shots. I can say with certainty that no geese were shot over 60 yards.

Edited by motty

There were more than 3 geese shot. Personally, I shot 2 geese for 4 shots. I can say with certainty that no geese were shot over 60 yards.

I was just refering to the 3 that penelope said were shot out of the same skien by four guns with himself missing both barrels , not the total bag.

I was just refering to the 3 that penelope said were shot out of the same skien by four guns with himself missing both barrels , not the total bag.

Oh, fair enough mate. I was quite pleased with my two geese as I waited for the other lads to shoot and took the birds flaring away.

Yes, it is a little short hence the slip on pad. It's also handy when it's really cold and I'm wearing a few layers, as I can take it of to adjust the stock length.

Very nice read and great pics, I see you have a little extension on the stock, is it a tad short for you? I had the same gun and found it was just a fraction short.

1st lot, 45. 2nd lot. 40. 3rd lot. 1st skein at 40 that we let go, 2nd lot 30 - 35 as they were coming on. All give or take a yard or two, plus birds at different heights within the skeins. Those to the north of us took some tall birds well.

I fired 6 cartridges 2 at each bird, miss, hit, miss.

As for the others, I don't know.

Paul first well done on your Pink for a good many years. A serious question you mention the Geese was Tall so (1) how high would you say they was !!!! (2) how many shots did you 4 guns fire at the Geese !!!!

Edited by Penelope

Can't really express my thanks enough. That morning and pink were very special to me, 30 years in the waiting.

I do not want to get soppy about this but having met Penelope I can say that he is one of the keenest sportsmen I have met, particularly for wildfowling. Getting his first pink after thirty years of either trying for one or dreaming of getting one will mean a lot to him.

JDog, had a fair few in Scotland in the late 80's and early 90's inland, mostly over decoys but one flighting on the shore that I have read so much about is something else.

I do not want to get soppy about this but having met Penelope I can say that he is one of the keenest sportsmen I have met, particularly for wildfowling. Getting his first pink after thirty years of either trying for one or dreaming of getting one will mean a lot to him.

1st lot, 45. 2nd lot. 40. 3rd lot. 1st skein at 40 that we let go, 2nd lot 30 - 35 as they were coming on. All give or take a yard or two, plus birds at different heights within the skeins. Those to the north of us took some tall birds well.

I fired 6 cartridges 2 at each bird, miss, hit, miss.

As for the others, I don't know.

Thanks for your reply. Was just interested in how high you thought the Geese you was shooting at.Well done again.

Fenboy what's your Point !!!! I congratulated Paul on his Pink as far as I know you was no where near nor saw the flight so again you point is !!!!

Boyd , my point is that on another thread you mentioned a good goose you shot and said a forum was not the place to discuss how high it was , yet you then ask others to tell you how high they were shooting .

You have made your thoughts quite clear on what antics you believe go on that side of the river , especially with regard to high shooting , indeed in this very thread you said quote

" But I pray to God you not being taken out by some what was shooting Sunday morning !!!!! "

So why try to draw people on how high they are shooting geese.

As I said what does it matter if they were 15 yards or 65 yards , those shooting clearly knew what they were doing and put some geese in the bag as did you .

yes you congratulated Paul on his goose as did I , and that alone would have been enough .

Apologies if my post upsets you that was not my intention , you do seem to take it rather personally if someone questions anything you are saying though.

Thats all I have to say on the matter , I dont really want to send Penelopes thread off on a tangent.

You clearly have a love and understanding of the pinks so get out and enjoy what you do rather than worrying what others are doing.

Edited by fenboy