Pressure Weekend

pigeon controller

The week started well with a text requesting one hundred and fifty plus pigeons for the weekend and during the week JDog had been emulating my set up and calling Jasper DB . Now anbody who knows DB will know that Jasper would have to have Maxi Facial augmentation to represent DB, So I did consider reporting him to the RSPCA. With JDogs normal pigeon decoying methods in the week this normally sends a good quantity of Cotswold birds north to the South Midlands. So the pressure was on and Friday saw us driving lots of miles for no birds, We did find them but they were not feeding just sitting in trees and the danger is they will just up and move. At the show and JDogs last supper I was congratulated on the abillity to see a flock and know if they will stay or go. Well we set up and the birds did return but in flocks of twenty plus and out of those fifteen would stay at altitude and not decoy. We set up with a magnet and ten decoys , thawed birds and the first hour was productive but it tailed off very quickly. We stopped shooting at 16.00 and picked up fiftynine birds . We found out that the flock had been shot on Wednesday by Bunny Blaster with a ton plus bag. so thats why they were spooky.

Saturday saw us looking at an area we have not shot since the week before Christmas although we have seen birds on the rape the farmer was not keen to let us go as his other shooter had complained that after we had shot he could not get any birds!! I first went onto this farm twentyfive years ago the other shooter goes each week. We talked to the farmer and he said that the other shooter had shot on Wednesday an complained that they just left the field and he agreed to let us have a days shooting. We walked the length of the field as the wind was from the top edge and set up with twelve decoys and waited for them to return. within ten minutes the first returned and we had a steady flow for the first two hours then it started to tail off, we kept adding to the pattern and at one point had fifty out on spikes and twenty on cradles and we pulled any passing birds to the field. We packed up at 16.00 and picked up one hundred and ninetytwo birds at that piont the heavans opened and we had a violant hail storm to end the day. So the pessure had been eased and the birds are being picked up in the morning. Great Result.

500f9d8e-814f-4985-8db3-18ddd35b5050_zps

498c60a1-8ea1-4a96-9c1f-d66d90ebefcf_zps

Well done again to the team . ? For you p.c what is the most birds you shot with out missing ? Bet you and d.b must have a bit of banter over this .

Atb neil

I'm not sure how many continually shot, but the Kiss of Death is a pair approaching and a quiet whisper Don't miss these?????????

From memory I think we had three triples yesterday ( three birds for two shots)

Edited by pigeon controller

A good read and pictures, 200 birds this time of year is some achievement. :good:

I shoot a farm where a chap turns up almost every day, full camo on, with all the gear in the back of his car.

Fortunately, he never seem to get out of the car, but sits eating his sandwiches, drinking his tea, reading a book and in the afternoon, he dozes.

I think he has found the equivalent of "going down the shed", to get away from his wife. :)